Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,801 times

Advertisements

Hey, please help me with this situation:

I rented a apt in IL, and moved out 2 months ago, here is the timeline:

Nov, 21, 2012, Leasing office inspection. I walked through the apt with them and agreed that all is fine(orally), and signed the paperwork in leasing office.( I don't have a copy with me)

Nov, 22, 2012, Moved out.

Dec, 20, 2012, deposited was fully refund.

Jan, 23, 2013,(60 days later) received a damage notice and bill for changing the carpet( for the whole 1 br apt), totaled over $800.

I returned a letter to them stating that the claim is over 30days, so it is not valid.However, they replied that the 30days law only applies for the return for deposit, not for the damage charge. if I dont pay this bill, they will go to the collection agent and it will affect my credit record.

I wonder whether their arrangement stands. Shall I go to the small claim court? Pay in full? or ignore?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Something about this doesn't ring right. It sounds almost scammish to me.

I would contact a LL/Tenant organization to find out.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
They're totally incorrect. Go to your state landlord tenant laws which are likely linked in the first "sticky" on this page, pull up the relevant section about security deposits and send it to them.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
These guys can answer that. Chicago Tenant Rights - Tenant Right

Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
These guys can answer that. Chicago Tenant Rights - Tenant Right
Best the OP looks up the statutes himself - I believe you'll find that the organization you linked charges for their help and hired help isn't necessary in this case.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadachong View Post
Nov, 21, 2012, Leasing office inspection.
Nov, 22, 2012, Moved out.
Dec, 20, 2012, deposited was fully refund.

I returned a letter to them stating that the claim is over 30days, so it is not valid.
However, they replied that the 30days law only applies for the return for deposit, not for the damage charge.
They're wrong. They get 30 days to refund OR present reasons (and bills) for why not.
They only get one bite at the apple and they've had that.

Quote:
...if I don't pay this bill
Cross one bridge at a time. If/when they do more... deal with it then.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-31-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Remind them that if they turn this over to a credit bureau, you can sue them. Sounds like a scam to me.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM

155 posts, read 564,304 times
We send a letter accounting for the paid damage deposit, that is all the law requires,

Once the furniture and picture are removed more problems can be see, after appliances and other items are checked by the new tenants a list is made, and corrected.

The new tenants may have discover the pet damage to the carpet,

Indiana law give the LL 7 years to file a claim against the tenant, as for the CB, you can dispute the claim within 30 days, and then they will need to take you to court for the damages. The tenant has 2 years to file against the LL.

I doubt you are in the clear after 30 days, it does not allow enough time for inspections courts are very liberal to both parties,,

You are within your right to ask for an itemized bill. if the carpet was repalced it needs to be depreciated, I also doubt they intended to give you a 100% SD refund, if they paid for the carpet cleaning, paint touch up etc..sound like a PM lost their job..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
I have no idea why this thread is bothering me I have been reading the Il L/T laws all day. Does this have anything to do with the situation?

735 ILCS 5 Sec. 9-313. Limitation. The right of the landlord to distrain the personal goods of the tenant, shall continue for the period of 6 months after the expiration of the term for which the premises were demised or the tenancy is terminated.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,801 times
Default Not sure what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
We send a letter accounting for the paid damage deposit, that is all the law requires,

Once the furniture and picture are removed more problems can be see, after appliances and other items are checked by the new tenants a list is made, and corrected.

The new tenants may have discover the pet damage to the carpet,

Indiana law give the LL 7 years to file a claim against the tenant, as for the CB, you can dispute the claim within 30 days, and then they will need to take you to court for the damages. The tenant has 2 years to file against the LL.

I doubt you are in the clear after 30 days, it does not allow enough time for inspections courts are very liberal to both parties,,

You are within your right to ask for an itemized bill. if the carpet was repalced it needs to be depreciated, I also doubt they intended to give you a 100% SD refund, if they paid for the carpet cleaning, paint touch up etc..sound like a PM lost their job..

Not sure what you are talking about, is there anyone who knows what it means? When they come and check, there is no furniture and no pics.... never has pet before....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting