Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
What do you mean by "heard"? This is the law in my state. When I built a house in 2006 the contract had a 72 hour cooling off/walk away clause, as did my mortgage refi in 2009. All of the big contract based purchases, such as carpeting and deck construction also had it. I'm not sure about leases, as I haven't has one in 15 years. I actually used the 72 hour window on a housing contract before I built my current one. We signed the paperwork and put down a deposit. Came back two days later and said we wanted out. Got our deposit back and never had any problems. To me this is one of the most common sense consumer protections in the world. It keeps people from giving in to high pressure sales tactics or being stuck with bad terms.
Exactly. Now you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM

320 posts, read 480,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfb2002 View Post
I need a help since the landlord is threatening to sue me.

I'm a non us citizen nor permenant resident. I'm on a bussiness visa, I'm in NYC for several months for a job assignment and courses.

I've signed a lease for a studio and decided not to move in before paying any deposits or rents. I haven't even got my copy of the lease yet. I informed the realtor of my decision and he sent me an e-mail saying that the landlord would sue me if I didn't pay the whole 6 months rent, can he do that??

I'm really frustrated since I'm a foreigner and they have all the contact of my work back home and the institute I'm reporting to here.

What the worst that can happen??
OP, you state that a LL is threatening to sue you, yet you've only spoken to your realtor. Have you actually had any contact with the actual LL (or PM represenative)? It sounds as if the realtor informed you that the LL "could" or "may" sue you, NOT that he/she "would." (Indeed, an agent can't know what a landlord may decide to do; he or she can only guess.)

I can't think of one self-respecting LL who would "hold" a rental without a security deposit, 2 months rent, and etc., even with a signed lease. Most LL's would chose the path of least resistance and simply rent the studio to someone else.

Are there are any details you're leaving out of your story? If not, the whole situation seems fishy. Is it possible to clarify what is going on with the actual LL and circumvent the real estate agent altogether?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
You signed the lease so you entered a legally binding contract and have to face the consequences.

The best option is to try to negotiate how to end it and the best way may well be to try to find someone to rent and move in so everybody can be happy and move on.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM

397 posts, read 613,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
From the landlords perspective it would be hard as hell to collect. You don't even have a SSN or a way for them to garnish wages. As someone said, welcome to America! Move on and forget about it. Don't give the realtor your new address. The realtor is blowing smoke about suing cause he/she wants to make sure the commission is paid
I believe green card holders ("permanent residents") have a SS#.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
I believe green card holders ("permanent residents") have a SS#.
The OP is on a visa, is not a permanent resident.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 PM

397 posts, read 613,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The OP is on a visa, is not a permanent resident.
My bad, misread the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting