Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,036 times

Advertisements

So this is the situation.

I am a college student in California (Los Angeles), that lives in a mostly college-aged apartment complex. Our lease started in August, and runs into July. Today, I tried to renew my lease for next year. However, I was told that all the units in my complex have already been leased out for next year (with a security deposit to hold). This is my second year at this complex, and last year I renewed mid-January, no problem. My landlord did not notify me that if I did not renew my lease by a certain time, that it would be leased out to someone else. I have always paid on time, and have had no issues (on my end).

Do I have any rights? Or do I need to start finding a new place to live next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,752 times
What timeframe does the lease give for renewal? It is bizarre for an apt complex for college students to not let you renew in January. Mine was absolutely relentless in pressuring us to renew.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudent12 View Post
Our lease started in August, and runs into July... Today, I tried to renew my lease for next year.
I was told that all the units in my complex have already been leased out for next year

My landlord did not notify me that if I did not renew my lease by a certain time...
Does your lease describe the terms or rights of renewal AT ALL?

Quote:
Or do I need to start finding a new place to live next year?
Whatever else might come of this... yeah, plan to be moving.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM

yeah, so my lease does not describe the terms or rights of renewal at all. it basically just says that when it comes to the time the lease expires, the landlord needs to give me 30 days notice to leave.

it just seems like they should have at least notified me to let me know, that if you do not renew your lease before this date, then you will need to find a new place

Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudent12 View Post
yeah, so my lease does not describe the terms or rights of renewal at all. it basically just says that when it comes to the time the lease expires, the landlord needs to give me 30 days notice to leave.

it just seems like they should have at least notified me to let me know, that if you do not renew your lease before this date, then you will need to find a new place
It's rather unusual but since there was nothing in the lease about renewal there's nothing you can do about it legally. I would surmise that when your lease term is close to its end your LL will give you the obligatory confirmation notice of non-renewal 30 days in advance. Next time around read your lease thoroughly so you fully understand its terms. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Assuming you have been a good tenant, I'm surprised that they didn't give you the first option to renew for the next year. Do you have a roommate who gave notice, perhaps leading them to think you would be vacating too?

I have heard that college town apartment complexes rent for the next year as much as a year in advance. So I'm not terribly surprised to hear that they have already found people to fill the building for next school year.

They probably should have said something, out of courtesy, but are very likely not legally or contractually required to do so. Last year, they may just have still had a vacancy in January, by chance. This year, they don't.

If they have a policy that each year is that the first people who qualify get the units, rather than giving priority to existing tenants, then you are probably just out of luck, unless someone cancels. Ask them what their cancellation rate is, and if it is reasonably high, see if you can get in first backup position. The downside to doing that is that if no one cancels, you may have a tough time finding a new place to live on such short notice in August.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM

155 posts, read 564,541 times
Sounds like the complex has been sold, and the LL will send you a 30 day notice to move out..

I have only 1 rental left for the Aug 2013 school year. The rest have been gone for a long time..

Many times a new LL will want to move all the tenants out so he can do repairs,..

They are within their rights. They must have deep pockets, and may tear the whole thing down.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Assuming you have been a good tenant, I'm surprised that they didn't give you the first option to renew for the next year. Do you have a roommate who gave notice, perhaps leading them to think you would be vacating too?

I have heard that college town apartment complexes rent for the next year as much as a year in advance. So I'm not terribly surprised to hear that they have already found people to fill the building for next school year.

They probably should have said something, out of courtesy, but are very likely not legally or contractually required to do so. Last year, they may just have still had a vacancy in January, by chance. This year, they don't.

If they have a policy that each year is that the first people who qualify get the units, rather than giving priority to existing tenants, then you are probably just out of luck, unless someone cancels. Ask them what their cancellation rate is, and if it is reasonably high, see if you can get in first backup position. The downside to doing that is that if no one cancels, you may have a tough time finding a new place to live on such short notice in August.
I am a good tenant, and yes I have a roommate, but he definitely did not contact them about the possibility of vacating. And yes, we live in a very popular complex, but for ALL of the units to be pre-leased by February 1st is pretty ridiculous. And yes, great point, that's all we were asking for, just some notice!

and thank you for your input! this is really helpful

Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You have received your notice that your lease will not renew. I suggest that you hustle to find a new place because by this time of year all the good places will already be booked for the fall semester.

You will not be allowed to stay there. They have already rented it to someone else.

No, it is not unusual in a university town for everything to be reserved by February..... or January, or the October before. You messed up by not paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting