U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 PM

14,530 posts, read 18,540,000 times

Advertisements

Not clear what jurisdiction you are in. In Los Angeles you can complain to the Dept. of Animal Control. It would be good to have backing from another tenant, and tape recording if possible. Animal Control will contact dog owner (not mentioning your name) and tell them to shut it up. Continued noise will be directed to arbitration and eventually legal action.

You should also contact your landlord who should also be responsive to this situation.

Last option is as always in renting: move. You might have a situation where you can legally terminate lease before expiration, depends on jurisdiction etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 03:19 AM

666 posts, read 547,415 times
Good luck OP and I would NOT approach the neighbors. I feel it's good chance they know the dog barks nonstop and simply do not care. The chance they don't know AND will be reasonable and receptive to your complaint are slim to none in my long years of rental experience. Okay.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,664,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Good luck OP and I would NOT approach the neighbors. I feel it's good chance they know the dog barks nonstop and simply do not care. The chance they don't know AND will be reasonable and receptive to your complaint are slim to none in my long years of rental experience. Okay.
How would they know if it only happens when they're gone?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 681 times
Danw127 smh wow man I can tell you don't have the same problems as most ppl here... meditation really??? How about ppl with with dogs have common human decency and don't have a dog in an apt. It's unfair to the dog the ppl they live around the only ppl it serves are the ones that bought the dog it fills the need for companionship whether it for a child or adult. So get out of here with dont tell your landlord stuff if these ppl with animals were responsible most ppl wouldnt have to search for threads like this

Old 11-15-2018, 02:58 PM

254 posts, read 191,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915ept View Post
Danw127 smh wow man I can tell you don't have the same problems as most ppl here... meditation really??? How about ppl with with dogs have common human decency and don't have a dog in an apt. It's unfair to the dog the ppl they live around the only ppl it serves are the ones that bought the dog it fills the need for companionship whether it for a child or adult. So get out of here with dont tell your landlord stuff if these ppl with animals were responsible most ppl wouldnt have to search for threads like this
I'm pretty sure this has been resolved by now since the original post is 5 years old and Dawn's comment was from 2 years ago.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:38 PM

29,845 posts, read 49,471,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 915ept View Post
Omg, please use punctuation and proper spelling... this is City-Data, not Twitter.

Also helps to check the date on posts, since (as stated by the poster above) this thread is YEARS old. But to address the point I think you were trying to make, dogs can be perfectly happy in apartments IF the owners provide enough exercise - and depending on the specific breeds/temperament. My dog, a 50lb mutt, has lived in apartments or similar for most of the 13 years he's been with me. We go for a long walk every day/night, plus regular outings, and he is very calm & quiet by nature. Not once have we received a noise complaint, and he's never destroyed anything or even had accidents in the home. Well, not including the one time he got an attack of stomach flu while I was at work. Not his fault!

Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,201,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Omg, please use punctuation and proper spelling... this is City-Data, not Twitter.

Also helps to check the date on posts, since (as stated by the poster above) this thread is YEARS old. But to address the point I think you were trying to make, dogs can be perfectly happy in apartments IF the owners provide enough exercise - and depending on the specific breeds/temperament. My dog, a 50lb mutt, has lived in apartments or similar for most of the 13 years he's been with me. We go for a long walk every day/night, plus regular outings, and he is very calm & quiet by nature. Not once have we received a noise complaint, and he's never destroyed anything or even had accidents in the home. Well, not including the one time he got an attack of stomach flu while I was at work. Not his fault!
Yes to all of this! Another apartment dweller with a very well-behaved dog. She's content to sleep while we are gone and get love and walks while we are home.

As a side note, years ago, I lived somewhere and had two dogs. I was very aggressively verbally attacked one day by a neighbor about my dogs barking. I had NO idea they were barking while I was away from home. No one had said a word to me until that moment when I was caught off guard. So they really might not know.

(I know this thread is very old-- and I WISH CD would do something like highlight older posts so you'd realize it right away-- but I think the topic is one that others have questions about as well)

Old 11-18-2018, 08:14 PM

254 posts, read 191,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

(I know this thread is very old-- and I WISH CD would do something like highlight older posts so you'd realize it right away-- but I think the topic is one that others have questions about as well)
I think a lot of people know they're commenting on old posts. Some of them just feel the need to post (vent) and run.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 AM

255 posts, read 139,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sershe View Post
Hi.
I had a misfortune to choose a dog-friendly building when renting (California, Silicon Valley)... My neighbors downstairs have a dog that barks non-stop when they are out. It barks for 5-15 minutes, waits for 5, barks again, etc. for hours and hours. I am a dog person, and ok with noise in general (there's some other noise here like TVs that don't bother me, but I probably should have never even considered a wooden building...) so I was not overly concerned but lately the repetitiveness has been getting on my nerves; they also tend to return late on weekends so Fri/Sat it's guaranteed non-stop barking until 2am.
I can only sleep in earplugs, and even thru earplugs I still faintly hear it.

Now, the question is - my current plan is to go to landlord, maybe next week, and complain about barking in general, and 2am barking in particular. The lease terms say that the pet can be kept if it doesn't cause nuisance to other residents; there are quiet hours; and pet permit can be revoked within 3 days so it should be a no brainer, however what if the landlord is uncooperative? Can I terminate the lease without paying the termination fee if this condition persists?
What an inconsiderate jerk. Definitely complain to the landlord but also check your town's dog ordinances and tenant laws. Many, if not most, towns have laws against nuisance barking and I would report the dog to animal control; every single day if needed. I would be their worst nightmare. Also, many state tenant laws cover "right to peaceful enjoyment" - try this:file:///Users/karen/Downloads/Quiet_Enjoyment_Instructions.pdf

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ug...california-law

I hate a--holes like this that allow their dogs to be a nuisance for others; they are the reason it can be so hard to find pet-friendly rentals. There is just no excuse for allowing your dog to bark in a multi-family living situation, or anywhere where others can be disturbed by the barking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting