Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times

Advertisements

It has already been said, but you are the worst kind of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turlington View Post
I'm not too upset about staying here until I'm formally evicted because he's the one that chose the court route.
You forced him to choose the court route. He wouldn't be doing it if it weren't for your actions.

Quote:
I would never do that to anybody myself unless it was an extraordinary circumstance.
Extraordinary circumstances like.... being forced to pay for somebody else's rent?? Even if your "friend" were extremely wealthy, you are stealing straight from his pocket. When you stiff him on rent, he still has to pay for it.

Quote:
That's just a jerk move in my opinion, given that I've never caused him problems and I didn't owe that much.
How can you possibly rationalize your actions to yourself? So HE is the jerk, because he won't pay for your rent?? And don't you think that being forced to pay for somebody else's rent, and being forced to take this freeloading person's ass to court count as "causing a problem"?

Quote:
Luckily in this state they can't use those kind of reports against you for job searches and there are plenty of places that don't check those reports for renting too, so I'm not worried.
If believing this helps you sleep at night.... more power to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
At this point he is going to get a judgement against me one way or another because i cannot afford to pay him and have money to move at the same time. I'm not too upset about staying here until I'm formally evicted because he's the one that chose the court route. And on a side note, I got home last night and the furniture was still there. Maybe he chickened out because he knew if he took it, I'd have something against him..
He chose the legal route because you did not move out peacefully. When he gave you the 5 day notice to leave you did not. You are forcing the legal action, not him.

If he plans to have the place furnished for the next tenant he has reasons to leave the furniture in there.
He must think you are going to get revenge for the eviction by pouring paint all over the place before you leave.
Let him know you are planning to leave peacefully.
Removing furniture is likely because he fears you'll damage it.
No bed, no sofa, no chair are not big deals. Sit on the floor, sleep on the floor.
With a forced eviction down to the last day, you need to worry about your personal property.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
We were friends, so we only had an oral lease agreement, but the apartment was furnished the day I moved in.
I feel bad that you can not pay the rent. But, your friend appears to have cancelled the friendship when the "friend + hand shake lease = good faith payment of rent on time, became "rent past due."

From my experiences, you can not win at an eviction trial.
You will lose 100% so make plans to pay the rent or move.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
....I'm not too upset about staying here until I'm formally evicted ........

Luckily in this state they can't use those kind of reports against you for job searches and there are plenty of places that don't check those reports for renting too, so I'm not worried....
Sounds like you have had prior evictions and will have more in the future.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Sounds like you have had prior evictions and will have more in the future.
And when you move to a place that has a lease, their application will require the name and address and phone of your prior landlords.

IF the new landlord has their application to contain what it should. Which would be your previous landlord's address and phone number, references, employment, driver's license number in case you try to skip town on the rent, etc.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
And when you move to a place that has a lease, their application will require the name and address and phone of your prior landlords.
Honestly, OP strikes me as the type of person who would have another "friend" pretend to be his prior landlord on the phone, to give him a glowing review.

I feel sorry for OP's next victim.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Turlington
Let's say you are an ordinarily ethical person that has been blind-sided by a loss of income and just has noplace to go and no money to do it with.
OK.....tell us ( and yourself) just what you had/have to offer your friend/LL that would have kept you in the apt but also would have been totally fair to him.

Maybe we'll all commiserate with you and also label him a real jerk.......maybe we'll point out to you why he wouldn't(and shouldn't) agree to your 'solution'.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
A case study of why landlords should never rent to friends and should always do a thorough screening before accepting a tenant.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
You say this was a friend, and you are making him go through court to get you to move, even though you haven't been paying your rent? I have to wonder about your definition of "friend"
Also, why shouldn't he remove his furniture. Looks to me like all bets were off when you stopped paying your rent...and you don't have a contract for the furniture do you?
Seems like a pretty bad situation between friends. Best way to get your answer might be the Landlord Tenant laws for your state at the top ist for the renting forum.
Good luck to you, it is hard to lose a job and then a friend too. Hopefully there will be some resolution for you both.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Also, why shouldn't he remove his furniture. Looks to me like all bets were off when you stopped paying your rent...and you don't have a contract for the furniture do you?
If you'd read the prior posts on the thread you would have that answer. The premises were rented furnished and the LL cannot legally remove it - something he obviously thought better of since he didn't show up to do so after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting