Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times

Advertisements

Glass is broken... seldom does it break.

Slamming a door can cause a window pane to break as rough handling opening or closing a window.

The good news is most replacement single pane glass is less then $20.

Any pre-existing conditions such as cracks or chips should be noted. Once noted, not your responsibility.

A piece of cardboard would offer better insulation value as a short term fix.

As a landlord... I always quickly repair broken windows... normally within 24 hours (single pane) and then bill the responsible party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Glass is broken... seldom does it break.

Slamming a door can cause a window pane to break as rough handling opening or closing a window.

The good news is most replacement single pane glass is less then $20.

Any pre-existing conditions such as cracks or chips should be noted. Once noted, not your responsibility.

A piece of cardboard would offer better insulation value as a short term fix.

As a landlord... I always quickly repair broken windows... normally within 24 hours (single pane) and then bill the responsible party.

for 20 bucks to fix the window, the LL should just eat the cost.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times
Window glass rarely breaks by itself and I would place this under the category of being beyond the standard of "normal wear and tear" which requires under my former leases that the tenant make the repairs. However, as a former Texas landlord, I would have repaired the first breakage and after that, the tenant pays. The last single pane glass (24"x24") I had to buy was $12.00. Add to that the small cost of a box of glazer points and glazing putty.

I am a former landlord because my last tenants, among other serious damages, broke two window panes in the house and two in the garage. The garage panes had been intact for fifty years. I evicted these nomadic thugs, then sold the property by owner-finance to a young family who truly needed and appreciated a home.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
for 20 bucks to fix the window, the LL should just eat the cost.
$20 is the cost for a pane of glass...

Nothing in it for time.

If I call a local glass company as a non-emergency repair I'm looking at $135 minimum...

Also, some tenants will be very helpful and others not so...

I've responded and found broken glass everywhere with no effort to clean anything... when the glass is laying outside the house, chances are it was damaged from the inside...

The responsible party may or may not be the unit resident... could be the kids playing ball outside, a tree branch, etc...

I've seen a fair share of broken windows... anything from kids that got locked out, boyfriend/girlfriend fights with phones or remotes being tossed to kids tossing rocks to get some one's attention without the parents knowing.

Accidents do happen... just saying the responsible party should bear the cost.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,740 times
I'm an attorney and I disagree with the majority of these posts trying to pin the stress crack on the tenant. Unless the tenant did something to break the glass, a stress crack would fall under the category of "normal wear and tear," as it's really not that uncommon. A stress crack is caused by thermal changes or even foundation changes or shifting in the window frame, etc. It's not the tenant's responsibility to pay for what should be the landlord's maintenance of the property unless the tenant is the one who caused the damage (in which case you would probably have a radial crack in the window). I know this thread is old, but it still shows up on the first page of google and I wanted to assist landlords who come across this issue so they don't end up being sued by their tenants.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:17 PM

103 posts, read 218,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy01 View Post
I'm an attorney and I disagree with the majority of these posts trying to pin the stress crack on the tenant. Unless the tenant did something to break the glass, a stress crack would fall under the category of "normal wear and tear," as it's really not that uncommon. A stress crack is caused by thermal changes or even foundation changes or shifting in the window frame, etc. It's not the tenant's responsibility to pay for what should be the landlord's maintenance of the property unless the tenant is the one who caused the damage (in which case you would probably have a radial crack in the window). I know this thread is old, but it still shows up on the first page of google and I wanted to assist landlords who come across this issue so they don't end up being sued by their tenants.
Unfortunately I have observed that this forum seems to have a massive amount of landlords who make comments blaming the tenant for everything and trying to find ways to make things the tenant's responsibility. Worse these people rarely disclose that they are landlords. I fear that many people are getting some rather biased advice when they come to this forum...

Regarding the OP I question how anyone can read it and blame the tenant. It very clearly states that there was first a small crack and the LL was notified. The LL then did nothing and then weeks later it completely broke. It's obviously not the tenant's fault.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM

539 posts, read 560,801 times
Quote:
Okay, big daddy.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,301,116 times
The broken windows theory is a criminological theory of the norm-setting and signaling effect of urban disorder and vandalism on additional crime and anti-social behavior. The theory states that maintaining and monitoring urban environments to prevent small crimes such as vandalism, public drinking, and toll-jumping helps to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes from happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Old 05-15-2017, 06:05 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,550,197 times
Quote:
I'm bumping this old thread again also due to my concern with window issues in my apartment. I'm a contractor and i agree with what you said about foundation issues and thermal stress cracks. Several of the windows in my apartment are severely hard to open, have condensation between the panes and some stress cracks. Also the home was built in the 40's and upstairs their are signs of foundation issues because of cracks in the drywall in the corners of the room. That along with DIY work from many landlords that dont know how to shim or install a window properly will cause this. I've seen people install windows directly against the window trimmer studs with no shims and that is a recipe for disaster when the framing expands.

I'm just concerned that i will be charged for this by the property management that is taking over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting