Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,003 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just querying if this is the norm here.
I am starting my new rental property search and wanted to know about property condition and item inventories. In the UK all rental properties have an inventory of the items and condition of the rental property.
Is this the case with properties here? I will if they do not provide a digital inventory of the property through an App I found for my smart phone. From experience saying a certan item was in siad condition with out photo evidence is just not good enough any more. Any feedback or recommendations would be highly help ful.
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Again, this is a variable. In my last moves I've taken a bunch of dated photos before moving in and have likewise taken a bunch more upon moving out. Doing exactly this quite recently saved me several $$s when a landlord decided to make an arbitrary deduction from my security deposit for "cleaning". It was totally ridiculous as I left the place cleaner than it was when I moved in. Having the pre and post dated photos squashed that attempted scam and I got back my whole deposit. Many landlords (in some states it's even required) will do both a pre move-in check and a move-out check. If it's not required you can ask for it and you can provide a check list too.

When you've moved into an apartment and even if you think you have the best LL ever, make sure that everything is in writing from basic maintenance requests to confirmation of work done. It only takes a few minutes to keep everything documented and can save you a lot of trouble later on in case things should get messy!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 7,003 times
Many thanks for confirming my initial thoughts.
When your previous landlord tried to make the deductions was the photo evidence ok with our signatures? My thinking would be to compile the inventory immediately on taking possession and then request a signature from the landlord / agent.
Better to be safe than sorry I suppose.
Thanks again

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
I do a complete walk through with a tenant for both a condition report and an overview on how to care for things. I have everything not tied down detailed on a form that the tenant signs saying yes that was all there and worked when they moved in, right down to serial numbers and model numbers on appliances.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinroche View Post
When your previous landlord tried to make the deductions was the photo evidence ok with our signatures? My thinking would be to compile the inventory immediately on taking possession and then request a signature from the landlord / agent.
Actually the whole point was that she didn't even know I'd taken move-in and move-out digitally dated photos! She was away on vacation when I moved out at the end of my lease and I asked for a walk-through with a neighbor who had acted as the LL's agent and shown me the apartment in the first place. The walk-through was agreed to and then, when I called the agent, she said she had already done the walk-through the day before when I had left and that it wasn't necessary to go through it together. Obviously this was out of whack, particularly when she refused to tell me anything but said I should contact the LL directly. That's when the whole "game" started when first the LL said she'd been advised that there were a "couple of hairs" in the shower stall and some "white powder" in one of the kitchen cabinets for which she was going to deduct $100. She finally backed off on that and then sent me a cheque with an $80 deduction because she had subsequently been told that there was some dust on a ceiling fan and a cobweb (with spider!) in one corner. She laughed when I told her I was ready to go to small claims court, laughing and saying, "Oh, you wouldn't take me to court for $80!" I assured her I could and would, that I had pre and post move in dated photos and that if I didn't receive the balance in one week I was off to file. She sent the cheque.

Throughout all this nonsense I sent confirming emails of every conversation we had. This wasn't my first rodeo in this respect and I've learned from being both a landlord and a tenant over many years. Hope that helps!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Exclamation oh yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I do a complete walk through with a tenant for both a condition report and an overview on how to care for things. I have everything not tied down detailed on a form that the tenant signs saying yes that was all there and worked when they moved in, right down to serial numbers and model numbers on appliances.
this is a biggie...a must do! Had a LL accuse us of replacing a 'new model' fridge w/the much much older model that was actually there...sometimes my S/O surprises me as he produced the serial number. LL tucked her tail and left...all deposit was returned.
Koale

Old 02-10-2013, 11:47 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
this is a biggie...a must do! Had a LL accuse us of replacing a 'new model' fridge w/the much much older model that was actually there...sometimes my S/O surprises me as he produced the serial number. LL tucked her tail and left...all deposit was returned.
Koale
Well my concerns are more along the lines of Window ac's being removed and sold by the tenant, with some excuse to me that it broke. Its also in the lease that if they break they are not to be thrown out without my permission, and awful lpt of those things are easily repairable by me. And having model numbers in my file at home lets me look up issues and if they are cheaper fixed or replaced. And i have all the info on hand to order parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting