Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 35,537 times

Advertisements

Question:
I've read a few about flooding and a mojority of them says its not the responsibility of the landlord to pay unless its
His fault.

Here's my dilema:
It has rained and then snowed 10 inches and then rained again. I woke up Monday morning to a flooded basement.
Now, the gutter outside drains right next to my basement window. I looked at the window...its made
Of plexi glass, duct tape and a little piece of wood. The tape connecting the wood and the plexi glass has now worn out.
Previously my landlord created a new vent in the other window for the dryer vent but never covered up the other window.
There is no window well in either one of the windows and the gutter is just outside the window, tilted in
The dirrection of my window.
I lost everything I have in the basement and renters insurance doesn't cover it.
Who this be considered the fault of my landlord and not the weather???
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppegabrice View Post
It has rained and then snowed 10 inches and then rained again.
I woke up Monday morning to a flooded basement.
I lost everything I have in the basement...

and renters insurance doesn't cover it.
Are you saying you have a renters policy **and** have already had a claim denied?

As to the rest... there are reasons that basement level apartments are cheap.
The risk of flooding is just one of them.

Condition and habitability is usually a local building code matter.
But there is probably no older property anywhere that will pass 100%.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 AM

They said it doesn't cover flooding. So yes it was denied. Its not part of my renters insurance.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 AM

And on top of it, I called my landlord on Monday and his response was "I can't get there tomorrow but maybe the next day but still not sure". I have mold starting to grow. I've never dealt with this before.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 AM

This isn't a basement apartment. Its a townhouse apt. All my storage was in the basement. I lost all personal property I.e; pictures, ss cards, kids birth certificates

Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
Quote:
I lost everything I have in the basement and renters insurance doesn't cover it.
Really???

I always thought one of the staples of renters insurance was to cover for floods, leaks and other types of water damage.

I'm not sure the landlord can be held responsible for rain or snow. If this was an ongoing problem in your basement, then you should have told your landlord to fix it, multiple times, via certified mail; and he ignored it, then yes, he could be liable.

If this was just "bad luck" that happened, meaning, the basement didn't flood every time it rained, you never reported it, and it "just happened", then its bad luck and the landlord shouldn't be held responsible.

Double check your renters insurance, it seems very odd to me that they wouldn't cover this.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
They said it doesn't cover flooding. So yes it was denied.
(the flooding rider) is not part of my renters insurance.
[quote]I called my landlord on Monday and his response was
"I can't get there tomorrow but maybe the next day but still not sure".
Do you still have standing water down there?

Quote:
I have mold starting to grow. I've never dealt with this before.
Condition and habitability is a local building code matter.

Call the County for an inspection and maybe they will find something done by the LL that
(at some point in the future) you'll be able to use to assert a right to be reimbursed.

It's a PITA... but that's about the limit of what you can expect.

If the rest of the house is dry... get your storage items out of the basement.
Make reasonable and responsible effort to salvage anything of real value.
Document anything that's lost.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I'd suggest too that you take dated photographs immediately, documenting where the rain has come in, the drain outside the window, etc. as well as your soaked belongings, growing mold, etc. It may well come in useful for a claim either against your insurance company, the LL's insurance company or the LL himself. Suggest you also write to your LL (email will suffice for now) documenting what has happened and confirming that he's given you no specific time when he's going to take a look at the problem. Good luck.

PS: Next time, put all paperwork, etc. into tightly sealed plastic storage boxes ...

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
I always thought one of the staples of renters insurance was to cover for floods, leaks and other types of water damage.

Double check your renters insurance, it seems very odd to me that they wouldn't cover this.
Most renters insurance, like most homeowners insurance, does not cover for flood damage.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Even though you live in a basement apartment...

Long story short: Get out. Pack up and move.
He doesn't live in a basement apartment but in a townhouse. The belongings were stored in the basement which flooded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting