Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times

Advertisements

Packing up the stuff should not be that hard, but it is a chore and could take awhile. You also might find out things about the RM you didn't know. But before you proceed to do this job yourself or to hire someone to do it, I'd make double sure the authorities won't want more of this stuff later.

This is too, too bad. Your roommate has really left you in the lurch. I see no other option except to pay for storage. If the guy ever surfaces, or if you find out what has happened to him, you can ask for reimbursement. To know how long before the stuff you have paid to store is legally yours, you need legal advice.

Here is another thought. If you pay people to pack the stuff up for you, they might steal something, particularly since you might not know everything that is there, and what things have been taken and what things have been left among the shambles left by police. Honestly, I'd pack it myself. If you find anything incriminating, turn it over to the cops though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflone View Post
Hey everyone. My roommate has recently gotten in trouble and will not be back for a long time. He is from out of the country and I know nothing about his family.

Now his room is a complete mess because the police completely thrashed the entire apartment. I am still in shock from the whole thing. He has an incredible amount of stuff for how small our apartment is. He was really good at tightly packing everything away (I guess his previous apartment was much bigger).

I don't think I could ever fit everything back where it was after the horrible mess the police made. Even if I could I need to put his stuff somewhere so I can get a new roommate to pay his half of the rent, because I only have so much money saved up for emergencies.

I really don't want to throw his stuff away because he has really nice things - plus these are his life possessions and he was my friend. I really don't know what to do. Any suggestions for hiring someone to clean up, pack and put his things into storage? Has anyone dealt with something like this before? I think I'd be willing to pay for the removal and storage until I can contact their family or at least hold it until I can't afford it anymore.
Assuming that he had a job, I would contact his employer and see if they would be willing to tell you how to get in touch with his family. Explain the situation, if they do not want to divulge the information for "privacy issues", then I would suggest you go through his things and try to find an address or phone number that could lead you to their whereabouts and how to contact them.

I would pack up the stuff that seems irreplaceable (family photos, mementos, etc.,) and the other stuff (televisions, stereos, in-line skates), I would sell on craigslist to help make up for the money that he won't be paying you. Besides, technology will have changed dramatically by the time he gets out.

There are also guys who own flea markets who will buy the whole "lot" off of you for a lump sum and transport it out of your life forever.

I would try to contact your friend in jail (they let you write letters to them) and find out what he wants you to keep for him that is important to him (again, pictures, etc.) And then make arrangements to dispose of the rest. If you can't find a family member, it's not your responsibility. Although you sound like a very decent guy to care.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,012 times
Just a thought - have you looked through any of this things to see if there is any information about his family? Maybe a phone number or an address? Or at least a city where they are so that you can narrow down contact information?

I hate to say this - but I would move. If he isn't found - do you want to run the risk of him trying to come back and get any of his things?

I would also contact an attorney and ask their advise. Most of them will do a phone consultation for free.

Good luck - this is a tough situation.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,136 times
Look up the tenancy laws in your state for a tenant that has "abandoned goods". LL needs to follow the laws, ie giving written notice of abandoned goods for a certain period of time, then put into storage of personal goods for a certain period of time before getting rid of it. Here if you can not locate the person via employment, family etc you need to post a notice on the door of the property with contact details. You can throw out garbage, food right away. Furniture needs to be stored for at least 14 days after notice time has been given and passes then you can sell or give away. Personal items, ie legal papers, photos, tax papers etc stored for 90 days and then the legal papers given back to the agency, ie passport back to passport office.

Read up and do it legally so you won't get into trouble down the line. I would also ask the LL about changing the locks as if this person is on the run you don't want them to come back and steal your money or goods that could be sold easily.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
First thing first, you can't do anything with his stuff except to clean up the mess until his rent runs out.

Second important point, you can not take his stuff and sell it. That would be theft.

I would post a notice on his bedroom door, right now, that his stuff will be placed into storage at XXXX storage yard if he abandons the unit and his rent is not paid.

Next, if you know where he worked, go down to his work and see if they have information for emergency contacts. They are unlikely to give you that information, but they should be willing to take your name and phone number and call the contact and ask them to call you.

If you have not heard from him by the time his rent runs out, then box stuff up carefully so nothing gets broken and rent a U-store for it. Pay the first month. They will take care of his things in a legal manner if he never shows up.

There are legal methods for dealing with abandoned property, and you must find out what your local law says about it. It is not abandoned until his rent runs out.

I think you will find that he will send someone to pick up his stuff, or at least call you to make some sort of arrangements for it.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
By the way, I would not turn his belongings over to just any stranger who turns up at my door offering to take his things. Requests a signed note from your roommate giving that person permission to take his belongings.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 PM

386 posts, read 797,362 times
Since he is a co-signer on the lease, I would move and let the landlord deal with it.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,971 times
You are NOT responsible for someone else's actions or well being-even if you 'want to do the right thing'; sometimes, the 'right thing' is looking out for yourself and not over extending yourself.
Your roommate sure wasn't 'doing the right thing' by you. it's not your job to clean up his mess, although obviously you will have to deal with this 'stuff'.
As far as him 'having nice stuff and being your friend', no. Just no. Not your friend, really. And 'nice stuff' is not a reason to chain yourself to someone else's drama and problems for an untold amount of time...months, years???? decade?

I am surprised people think you should call his family, etc. Assuming you are grown adults, why should you chase down someone's family =who could be estranged from him and/or may not be very happy to hear from you.
It just gets you thicker into the drama. I mean, if you don't know anything about his family, he's estranged from them, and/or you are not really 'good friends'....

Personally, I would attempt to get some info from the police dept or a lawyer, as far as confirming that the police no longer need his stuff as evidence. Then, I would find a service that will take it all away, that does not cost a lot of money for you.

That way, you don't capitalize on his misfortune, nor are you on the hook for monthly storage.
Seriously, it's a difficult situation you are in; but there's a fine line between 'do the right thing' and 'co dependent'.
We have been trained to take responsibility for others, in this PC social arena.
Compassion is not the same as co dependence.

Also, I like the recommendation that you move and leave his stuff for the landlord to deal with. You are not legally responsible if he is on the lease. Or, you could try to work with the landlord, once you find out legal options....ie, if the police are done with it.

I think you are overextending yourself, by getting a storage unit. 'Too nice' is a thing, you know?
You have no idea what drama you'd need to deal with down the road, should you keep ties with this guy through having his stuff and feeling responsible for it.

I say move on....

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-17-2013 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
First thing first, you can't do anything with his stuff except to clean up the mess until his rent runs out.

Second important point, you can not take his stuff and sell it. That would be theft.

I would post a notice on his bedroom door, right now, that his stuff will be placed into storage at XXXX storage yard if he abandons the unit and his rent is not paid.

Next, if you know where he worked, go down to his work and see if they have information for emergency contacts. They are unlikely to give you that information, but they should be willing to take your name and phone number and call the contact and ask them to call you.

If you have not heard from him by the time his rent runs out, then box stuff up carefully so nothing gets broken and rent a U-store for it. Pay the first month. They will take care of his things in a legal manner if he never shows up.

There are legal methods for dealing with abandoned property, and you must find out what your local law says about it. It is not abandoned until his rent runs out.

I think you will find that he will send someone to pick up his stuff, or at least call you to make some sort of arrangements for it.
The problem with renting a storage unit, is that it would be in the OP's name and would be his contract, NOT the roommate's....Letting the landlord deal with it as 'abandoned property', may be the best solution.
I don't think giving it away is 'theft', if it was abandoned. But I do think there is a legal time frame under which the definition of 'abandoned' falls...not sure how long that is.
Also, 'packing it so nothing gets broken', is a bit much....the OP is NOT responsible for this guy's 'stuff', legally.
And, I am sure this situation has been encountered before-probably somewhere in this country, each and every day, actually....
So, google and a lawyer are probably OP's friend, in this case.
So far, none of us replying, are authorities on this matter, so we can just give OP some ideas to pursue or directions to go in....
Good luck, OP

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-17-2013 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
, technology will have changed dramatically by the time he gets out.
Even if the guy were in jail (which he's not - read the whole thread) you have no way of knowing how long he's away for. It could be 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting