Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 PM

31 posts, read 50,331 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I haven't rented in a long time(since my college days). I am looking to rent a house and after receiving the lease agreement it says.

"Maintenance - Tenant understands that tenant may be held responsible for any water and/or mold damage, including the costs of remediation of such damage. Tenant shall be responsible for any MINOR repairs necessary to the premises up to and including the cost of $100."

For anyone that is renting a house, is this normal? When I was in an apartment, all the minor repairs were taken care of.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonz9238 View Post
For anyone that is renting a house, is this normal?
When I was in an apartment, all the minor repairs were taken care of.
The implication is that the house is in 100% perfect condition when you move in...
(negotiate for a 30-60 day lets be sure it's really OK clause) so *therefore*if/when
something does break it will be because of the action or inattention of the tenant.

HOWEVER when the lease mentions something specific (like water or mold in this case)...
it tells me that they have learned to include that term because it has come up before.

Ask them to describe their examples or prior issues.
It might just be CYA... but it might be because their bathrooms aren't vented properly.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I too am guessing its the bathroom thing. I rent out a house with 4 window ac units and if a tenant is having trouble paying for their electric bill they may decide to keep them off for too long then a house inhumid florida can stand which promotes mold mildew in a home. So for both issues my tenant sign a mold addendum that they will do what is needed to keep the house from those sort of growths. Drying out bathrooms and maintaining the ac units and temps. The 100 dollars is also typical. Covers your basic stopped toilet, leaky faucet, toilet that needs a new chain. When you rent a house you are getting more independence, with that comes more responsibility.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,690,634 times
The lease I signed in November on a house had this clause (minus the specific bit about mold/water damage) for $100. It was the first time I'd seen it in several times renting a house. The realtor I was working with explained it basically like MrRational did. I can say that it's worked out okay so far: the only problem I've had is a leak in a hot water pipe from the upstairs bathroom that no one knew about until it started coming through the downstairs ceiling, and I didn't pay anything for fixing it, the landlord did.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Landlords can put just about anything they want in a lease agreement, and if you sign it you are bound by it. Your option is to pass and look elsewhere. With rentals in such demand lately, they are doing whatever they can to take advantage and make money. Small repairs are the most commonly needed, so this can add up and reduce their costs if you have to pay it.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Landlords can put just about anything they want in a lease agreement, and if you sign it you are bound by it. Your option is to pass and look elsewhere. With rentals in such demand lately, they are doing whatever they can to take advantage and make money. Small repairs are the most commonly needed, so this can add up and reduce their costs if you have to pay it.
But $100 is really peanuts!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
I have a very similar clause in my lease, and I explain it this way...

if something "breaks" and I have to call a repair-tech in, and the break was due to the tenant's negligence, fault or stupidity, then the tenant is stuck for the bill. If something "breaks" because it was it's due time, then I'll cover it.

I added this clause the first time I had to pay $160 to get a tech out to "repair" an oven, three days before Thanksgiving. Turns out that the tenant was cleaning the oven, and hit the gas-cut off switch. The repairman came in, lifted the oven's top cover, flipped a switch, tested that everything was working, then hit me with a $160 bill.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I was just about to say that the clause is to protect the landlord from tenant stupidity. You break it you buy it. Even though I have the clause, I also make it clear that I need to be notified of any breakage and repairs that are needed. I am the one that decided if its something I want to repair myself or if I know darned well what is broken is not normal wear and tear.

"The window latches are broken and the window blew in and fell out during a storm, its your fault!"

Umm no. The window latches are broken because you forgot your key, so you jumped the fence and banged on the window hard enough to break plastic latches. You didn't go spend the $4 it cost to replace them. Then the window blew in because it was unlatched, and its the type of window that you can fold forward towards you for cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting