Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house and I have an extra bedroom I have no use for. I am considering renting it out to someone for some extra income. I don't need the income but it would be nice to be able to save a little more. The extra bedroom is huge and it feels wasteful to just have it sitting there. Is there anything I should be worried about? I don't think I would ever rent out my home as an absent landlord, but with me living there also I feel like there are less risks. Should I do a background check? Require a deposit and/or last month's rent? I would definitely write up a lease/legal contract. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
You might want to read this thread which addresses some of the issues you're asking about:

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...-out-room.html

If you do a search of this forum you'll find many others and all I can suggest is that you read, read, read and keep reading until your eyes bleed as this is something you need to go into with eyes wide open and with a full understanding of contracts and applicable laws. Read your basic state landlord tenant laws (probably linked in the first sticky" on this page) and then read the state laws about roommates/room renters/boarders.

Background check yes.
Security deposit yes.
First and last month's rent yes.

And don't give a term lease but keep it a month to month.

Good luck and happy reading!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,912 times
Don't do it.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I don't need the income but it would be nice to be able to save a little more.
Dear Lord. Do not rent out the room. Find other ways to save a little more. Cut cable and go streaming-only. Don't go out to eat as often. Don't drink the $6 latte every morning, ect, ect, ect.

Bringing a stranger into your house, and all the problems that could potentially open you to is just not worth it if you don't need the money.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Don't do it.
why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Dear Lord. Do not rent out the room. Find other ways to save a little more. Cut cable and go streaming-only. Don't go out to eat as often. Don't drink the $6 latte every morning, ect, ect, ect.

Bringing a stranger into your house, and all the problems that could potentially open you to is just not worth it if you don't need the money.
i dont think i would rent to a stranger. i would probably network for a while to see if anyone i know needs a place. however seeing so many strong opinions against makes me reconsider. i just feel like the empty room is a waste.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You might want to read this thread which addresses some of the issues you're asking about:

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...-out-room.html

If you do a search of this forum you'll find many others and all I can suggest is that you read, read, read and keep reading until your eyes bleed as this is something you need to go into with eyes wide open and with a full understanding of contracts and applicable laws. Read your basic state landlord tenant laws (probably linked in the first sticky" on this page) and then read the state laws about roommates/room renters/boarders.

Background check yes.
Security deposit yes.
First and last month's rent yes.

And don't give a term lease but keep it a month to month.

Good luck and happy reading!
thanks i will check out that thread

Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
Quote:
why?

i dont think i would rent to a stranger. i would probably network for a while to see if anyone i know needs a place. however seeing so many strong opinions against makes me reconsider. i just feel like the empty room is a waste.
Allow me rework my statement...

"Bringing a carbon based life-form with a legally binding contract to live in your house, and all the problems that could potentially open you to is just not worth it if you don't need the money."

Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM

385 posts, read 615,141 times
I've BTDT, had both good experiences and bad. If you can get a private referral that's usually best.

Definitely do a credit and background check on a potential roommate. Since you don't need the income you can afford to be picky. I also couldn't live with a felon as 1) I own guns, and 2) it could have affected my security clearance to be living in with someone with a criminal record.

I only rented to non-smokers as I don't care to walk around smelling like an ashtray. That may or may not be an issue for you.

I permitted pets (dogs) as long as they got along with mine. Get an additional pet/cleaning deposit on top of the security deposit if you accept pets.

I didn't discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, etc. though if I thought the tenant was going to be an anal orifice or female dog then I turned them away. After all, if I have to share living space then I'd like to get along.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,912 times
Quote:
why?

This is even worse than a stranger. Somebody you know will take advantage of your friendship. Like family, NEVER rent to family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting