Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,345 times

Advertisements

I may need to move a couple of months early. According to the lease, to end it early I'd have to give 90 days notice, pay a termination fee equivalent to 4 months, and continue paying rent until the end of the lease term or until a new tenant is found.

If I leave early, but continue the paying the rent and utilities until the lease term ends, is that generally considered to be breaking the lease?

The lease mentions abandonment, but defines it as leaving without paying rent. There's another bit that's a bit more worrying. It says, "Tenant leaves the property before the end of the lease, [then] Landlord can take possession and seek damages." If I leave a little early and continue to pay, what exactly are the damages?

I want to do the right thing, but I also don't want to pay thousands of dollars to leave a month or two early.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,597,783 times
Tell the LL you are not ending the lease and you are going to continue to pay rent but it won't be occupied. See what he says.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
If you leave the property but keep paying the rent since you are close to the end of the lease then you will never be considered of breaking the lease.

Keep in mind if something happens to the property you are still responsible.

If you give notice and pay the lease break fee and give the keys back and leave the property nice than you are no longer responsible for the property and if you ever need a referal the LL should be able to give it since you did the right thing.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,422,616 times
Can you afford to prepay the lease and then you could do a walk through and return the keys? The LL would probably be happy to double dip on rent, and you could move on without it hanging over your head.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Can you afford to prepay the lease and then you could do a walk through and return the keys? The LL would probably be happy to double dip on rent, and you could move on without it hanging over your head.
Double dipping is not allowed unless in you lease there is a lease break fee. If you have to pay rent and someone else is moving in than it is considered double dipping which is against the law.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkie View Post
I may need to move a couple of months early.

According to the lease, to end it early I'd have to give 90 days notice, pay a termination fee equivalent to 4 months, and continue paying rent until the end of the lease term or until a new tenant is found.
any one of these is reasonable. requiring all is absurd.

Quote:
I want to do the right thing...
check your state law...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,422,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Double dipping is not allowed unless in you lease there is a lease break fee. If you have to pay rent and someone else is moving in than it is considered double dipping which is against the law.
Well, the OP claimed to have a substantial lease break fee, and I was merely attempting to suggest a way to reduce the headache he/she will be dealing with.

I believe in some states douple dipping is allowed in other's it's not.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,345 times
Thanks for the responses!

I'll definitely talk to my landlord once I know when I'll be leaving. And I'll check the state laws as well to see about the double dipping issue. I can afford to pay ahead if that's what needs to happen.

And, yes, the fees for breaking the lease really are that steep. I live in an area where it can take awhile to fill a vacancy. So I understand why the penalties are so rough. I just want to make sure I'm not being totally unreasonable in offering to pay through the end of the lease if I end up having to leave a month or two early.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
I really think you read the terms erroneuosly(or it was written with an error)...rather than....

"According to the lease, to end it early I'd have to give 90 days notice, pay a termination fee equivalent to 4 months, and continue paying rent until the end of the lease term or until a new tenant is found"

That "and" should be an "or"

If you are paying the rent until the end of the lease, you aren't "offering" to do anything....you are simply complying with the terms of the lease.
However, you can offer the LL the opportunity to start looking for and possibly renting to, a new tenant sooner than would be possible if you were still occupying it.
If you do so,have a walk-through before you leave and make sure you have it in writing, that LL will be responsible for the security of the apartment and any potential damages from the date of your vacating.
If LL does rent to somebody else before your lease is up, of course, you will not be paying rent for that time period.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkie View Post
I may need to move a couple of months early. According to the lease, to end it early I'd have to give 90 days notice, pay a termination fee equivalent to 4 months, and continue paying rent until the end of the lease term or until a new tenant is found.

If I leave early, but continue the paying the rent and utilities until the lease term ends, is that generally considered to be breaking the lease?

The lease mentions abandonment, but defines it as leaving without paying rent. There's another bit that's a bit more worrying. It says, "Tenant leaves the property before the end of the lease, [then] Landlord can take possession and seek damages." If I leave a little early and continue to pay, what exactly are the damages?

I want to do the right thing, but I also don't want to pay thousands of dollars to leave a month or two early.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/suggestions!

If you leave before your lease is up, it's considered breaking the lease. If you want to do the right thing, read your lease, talk to your landlord and pay whatever penalty is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting