Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 12,547 times

Advertisements

I currently live on the first floor of a two story house. I found out a couple months ago that I was paying for the basement and common areas electricity. I confronted the landlord who clearly knew but tried to act like she didn't. She did compensate me for those few months and then switched the electricity into her name. My rent was adjusted to a little more so now the rent includes electric. I was okay with that. Now she is trying to make my life hell. I am sure it's to force us out so she can get someone in there to pay the electric again. I feel bad for all of the previous tenants because PSEG told me no one else ever had them come out to investigate like I did.

During this ordeal I found out that the basement apartment is illegal based on city records. This can be dangerous if the construction or wiring is done improperly.

My carbon monoxide alarm in my apartment has gone off twice since I moved in. I told her about it and she said "open the windows." There was no smoke alarms when I moved in. I asked her for one and it took me three weeks of pestering her before she bought it. I believe my unit calls for more as it is quite large.

In NJ you can withhold rent for dangerous or unsafe conditions. Would this be reason enough for me to send a letter of intent to withhold the rent?

I would save the rent in an account for when this goes to court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Default Can I withhold rent due to illegal apartment?

o

Last edited by kristy67; 11-20-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
The title of your thread is misleading since your apartment isn't illegal. I'm not sure that your alarm having gone off just twice is sufficient reason to legally withhold rent as I'm not sure how you would go about proving just by that alone that it's an unsafe or dangerous situation.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
But you don't live in the illegal apartment?

If you think she is trying to force you out then why not try to come to an agreement that you can leave?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
You can't live for free....

It is either move out and you don't have to orry about breaking a lease if you have one since it will be null and void for any illegal place.

Either you pay to live there or you move out which is your right if it is illegal.

You try to benefit from not moving while at the same time you are complaining. Staying means paying for something you know can be a danger and is illegal.

So MOVE!

If you don't believe me that watch some of the judge shows since this subject has come up multiple times and always with the same outcome...staying is paying!

Living for free is not making it a legal place and you won't be compensated in case something happens since you are aware of the situation.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 PM

542 posts, read 1,548,794 times
As STTR pointed out, your unit is not the illegal one, so you can't withhold rent for that reason. Also, you told her to put in a smoke detector, and she (eventually) did. Don't know if one is enough or not, per your local code. If you want, you can try contacting a local tenant advocate lawyer to see what your options are, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM

'

Last edited by kristy67; 11-20-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy67 View Post
... During this ordeal I found out that the basement apartment is illegal based on city records. This can be dangerous if the construction or wiring is done improperly.

In NJ you can withhold rent for dangerous or unsafe conditions. Would this be reason enough for me to send a letter of intent to withhold the rent?
No, an illegal basement apartment that you do not live in, is no justification for you withholding your rent. Withholding rent in most states, unless done very carefully, in full compliance with state laws, will get you evicted.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-20-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM

;

Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

So you are trying to learn from other posters how to scam the landlord in the best way possible by not paying rent....?

It is either illegal and you move or legal an you pay rent...there is nothing in between other than perhaps a violation that can be fixed.

But your title is misleading and shows what you are trying to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy67 View Post
My apartment is not illegal; however the one directly below me is. this could be unsafe as it was not zoned for this and was never inspected. Faulty wiring can cause a fire, faulty construction could result in an unsafe structure. This is unsafe and dangerous to me. The fact that no one knows because of the illegality of the casement unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting