Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times

Advertisements

For non emergency scenarios? What time do your tenants contact you?
My thought is 8am-9pm would be ok. My LL calls and texts as early as 7:15 and as late as 10:50. Even when there have been urgent issues on my end, I haven't bothered him after business hours.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
I try to keep all contacts in business hours unless it's an emergency (and hope that our tenants do also!) I see no reason to call or text a tenant after 5 or 6 p.m. because I'm not in the office after that time anyway. Or I might email on a weekend if I have been really backed up and I'm just trying to tie up a loose end, and let them know to email back at their convenience.

I take it your LL is a private individual?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Texting as early as 7:15 I wouldn't have a problem with because (a) my phone doesn't live in my bedroom so it wouldn't disturb me until I pick it up and (b) he might be trying not to call you at work thinking your employer might have a problem with personal calls. But 10:50 at night short of an emergency situation involving plumbing is beyond the pale. I'd say 8 p.m. is the latest.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM

Yes, it's an individual that owns about 30 properties.

He know's it's my cell phone and he's well aware he's woken me up before. I have a college age son that's out of state, so I always keep it on in case of emergency. The calls and texts seems to be getting later and earlier.

We had all our toilets overflow on a Sat night one time (idiot tenant was flushing baby wipes and clogged main line) and I cleaned up and waited until the next morning. Another tenant called telling him it was an emergency, and he said wait until morning and was angry to be called--around 10:30-11:00.

I was in the hospital last week, and have to undergo minor surgery next week, and I just want to be left alone. He asked me to meetup at a restaurant and was annoyed I mailed my rent. Then he sent the late night text bugging me since he didn't receive it yet. It's not late yet, and I'm not counting the grace period. It was mailed. I was told not to cend it certified. Sigh.

Thank you for the responses. I know I need to stop letting him get to me, but he's so intrusive, and I'm sick of it.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
Tell him to call you during business hours unless it's an emergency. Otherwise, I think you can block his phone number.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
What ever time they put on the app and said it was ok to call

Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I personally don't call my tenants for non-emergencies before 9:00 AM and most of the time not before 10:00, because I don't like to wake people up, and not after 6:00 PM, and make notes if they request specific hours (for example I have a few tenants who work nights who have asked that I always call after 2:00 PM). I'm only in the office from 8:30 to 5:00 M-F, so 99% of my non emergency calls take place during those hours anyway, with the remainder being an occasional weekend call if I'm in the office working anyway. On the other hand, my boss does most of his office work in the evening after I go home, so he calls the tenants anytime up until about 8:00 PM.

I actually prefer to communicate with tenants by email whenever possible for non-emergencies, so there is a written communication trail, and so that both parties can answer at their own convenience, but some of our tenants don't check their email often enough for that to be feasible.

I consider texting to be more like email. I wouldn't have a problem texting someone outside of the above hours if I needed to for some reason. I rarely communicate with my tenants via text, though, as I'm in the office all day, and the office phones don't have text capabilty, so I just email or call.

Most of our tenants do about the same as I've said above. They either call the office during business hours when they know I'll be in, or else they email. Sometimes they call up super early before work and leave a voice mail, but they do it knowing it is an office, and they fully intend to just leave a voice mail in the first place.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Thank you.

He does not use email.

I figured that what you and Kona posted was the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I personally don't call my tenants for non-emergencies before 9:00 AM and most of the time not before 10:00, because I don't like to wake people up, and not after 6:00 PM, and make notes if they request specific hours (for example I have a few tenants who work nights who have asked that I always call after 2:00 PM). I'm only in the office from 8:30 to 5:00 M-F, so 99% of my non emergency calls take place during those hours anyway, with the remainder being an occasional weekend call if I'm in the office working anyway. On the other hand, my boss does most of his office work in the evening after I go home, so he calls the tenants anytime up until about 8:00 PM.

I actually prefer to communicate with tenants by email whenever possible for non-emergencies, so there is a written communication trail, and so that both parties can answer at their own convenience, but some of our tenants don't check their email often enough for that to be feasible.

I consider texting to be more like email. I wouldn't have a problem texting someone outside of the above hours if I needed to for some reason. I rarely communicate with my tenants via text, though, as I'm in the office all day, and the office phones don't have text capabilty, so I just email or call.

Most of our tenants do about the same as I've said above. They either call the office during business hours when they know I'll be in, or else they email. Sometimes they call up super early before work and leave a voice mail, but they do it knowing it is an office, and they fully intend to just leave a voice mail in the first place.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
9am to 5 pm m-f present LL 9am to 5 pm m-w-f When the offices are open

Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Yes, it's an individual that owns about 30 properties.

He know's it's my cell phone and he's well aware he's woken me up before. I have a college age son that's out of state, so I always keep it on in case of emergency. The calls and texts seems to be getting later and earlier.

We had all our toilets overflow on a Sat night one time (idiot tenant was flushing baby wipes and clogged main line) and I cleaned up and waited until the next morning. Another tenant called telling him it was an emergency, and he said wait until morning and was angry to be called--around 10:30-11:00.

I was in the hospital last week, and have to undergo minor surgery next week, and I just want to be left alone. He asked me to meetup at a restaurant and was annoyed I mailed my rent. Then he sent the late night text bugging me since he didn't receive it yet. It's not late yet, and I'm not counting the grace period. It was mailed. I was told not to cend it certified. Sigh.

Thank you for the responses. I know I need to stop letting him get to me, but he's so intrusive, and I'm sick of it.
This is ridiculous I think I'd send one of those certified letters he loves and tell him to stop contacting you between 7 p.m. and 8 a.m. unless it is a dire emergency. (LL's generally do not have dire emergencies requiring calls to tenants- tenants do).

Meanwhile I think I'd find another place to live. This guy is creeping me out totally with the "meet me at a restaurant - don't mail your rent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting