Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:35 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to do my semi-annual property inspections/AC service and I always ask tenants to let me know anything that needs repairing. Here's one tenant's list and my reaction.....do you agree:

1. Folding doors to laundry closet are off the tracks (I think tenant should take care of this, was fine at move in 8 months ago)

2. Garage door opener has broken down again and at first the sensors were blinking, not now (this GDO was installed by a professional brand new a week before they moved in 8 months ago; last time I repaired this and let them know they had knocked the sensors out of alignment with the lawnmower and if it happened again they would need to repair it) -- I think tenant should take care of

3. Outlet stopped working in bathroom (I emailed to push in the GFI switch, otherwise I will repair it if not that)

4. A fence post is loose (Landlord should fix, I agree)

Do you agree about #1 & #2??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Do you agree about #1 & #2??
No, but sometimes you gotta suck it up and just get it taken care of. Spend the 30 minutes, at most, and resolve these issues. Then if your tenants are so lazy and bad that they do ZERO upkeep on the property, just don't renew their leases.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 PM

155 posts, read 564,139 times
Just do it, keep a record and charge in the SD accounting damages...

If good tenants forget it and move on...and forget it in the SD accounting..

Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
I think you should take a look and judge case by case basis.

Nowadays... chinese stuff sometimes doesn't last like it should.

And I'd probably fix #1 at minimum, those things are chitsey.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 AM

118 posts, read 887,038 times
This makes me glad I did not put in a garage opener in my rental.

I was actually considering putting one in, but not anymore. Just one more hassle for the tenants to mess up.

Most of my tenants use the garage for storage, so if they want the door open, they'll have to use their muscles.

Fix #1, and warn them, or show them how to fix it themselves next time.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Some folding doors are a freakin' nuisance....they come off track all the time.
I solved the problem on one set that refused to stay by putting them on hinges with a latch in the middle to keep them closed.
You should check them out to see if they might be that "silly millimeter" too short to keep that top "gadget" (memory failure) in the track.Adjust the bottom "thingie" up a little and see if that keeps them working properly.
Oft times the floor or top rail is just enough off level to cause the problem.
If all that fails,resort to my fix.
I agree with you about the rest.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
Just do it, keep a record and charge in the SD accounting damages...

If good tenants forget it and move on...and forget it in the SD accounting..
What? Keep it a secret until moveout that you're going to withhold funds for something without having given the tenant an opportunity to pay at the time? We have tenants pay for repairs all the time if it is their fault and only take it out of the deposit later if they have refused to pay the bill. You're asking for trouble with that scenario.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
I have to say that I am amazed that some tenants bother their LL's with every little thing. Seriously, are these folks really not capable of popping a bi-fold door back on the track or moving the sensors on the garage door so they line back up?! How do they manage to make money to pay the rent? That just seems to be the ultimate in helplessness to me...

I guess, in hindsight, there are some LL's out there that will charge for every little thing they can find wrong. Scratch the roller on the bi-fold door while putting it back on the track?...that's going to cost you.

Guess, maybe, I can understand some tenants reluctance to repair anything (no matter how minor).

In answer to the OP's question...if you're at the home anyway doing an inspection, why not put the door back on the tracks and move the garage door sensors?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:33 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I have to say that I am amazed that some tenants bother their LL's with every little thing. Seriously, are these folks really not capable of popping a bi-fold door back on the track or moving the sensors on the garage door so they line back up?! How do they manage to make money to pay the rent? That just seems to be the ultimate in helplessness to me...

I guess, in hindsight, there are some LL's out there that will charge for every little thing they can find wrong. Scratch the roller on the bi-fold door while putting it back on the track?...that's going to cost you.

Guess, maybe, I can understand some tenants reluctance to repair anything (no matter how minor).

In answer to the OP's question...if you're at the home anyway doing an inspection, why not put the door back on the tracks and move the garage door sensors?
Weeeellll...... the reason is the "teach the man to fish" philosophy. If I'm at the house doing my semi-annual inspection I will always do those kinds of things but what happens is the tenant never learns to do minor stuff and continues to notify me every time they hit the sensors with the lawnmower even tho we have done a GDO-101 session with them . Plus the tenant has a garage door out of commission for days until I can get over there to fix. I have a couple of "villa" type properties where the parking is very limited in the community ~ if the occupant can't enter the garage it becomes a parking nightmare. Same with the out of track doors.

Not trying to defend my thinking -- well maybe I am --- but really appreciate feedback. I do want to be a good LL, but not be running to properties for items the tenant can fix faster than it takes me to drive there.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 AM

157 posts, read 185,625 times
Landlords are SUPPPOSED to keep up the place! "stuff" happens, and they pay rent to have the place at the same conditions at which they agreed to move in. Unless obvious abuse is involved, it's on the ll to fix it. you either charge enough rent to cover the hassles, or find some other way to make your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting