Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times

Advertisements

It seems that you are really thinking about this and doing your research, which is good, instead of being one of those people who are forced into renting their properties instead of selling at a huge loss. Those people usually have a very bad time.

Being a landlord is so much more than just getting that sweet rent check at the end of the month. Its a lot of hard work, it can be expensive if you are not careful and most of the times its just a PITA.

I will second the recommendation for the Landlording book. It will give you a good idea of what the job is like.

Landlording: A Handymanual for Scrupulous Landlords and Landladies Who Do It Themselves: Leigh Robinson: 9780932956255: Amazon.com: Books

You can get an older copy shipped to your house for $4 including shipping. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
You also need to factor in vacancy, which can really eat up cash-flow if it's sitting empty for a couple months between tenants. You'll also spend more on repairs than you think, the little things add up and you also have turn costs between tenants. Spend the time and money to thoroughly screen your potential tenants, it's worth every penny. Google "professional tenants" to get an idea of what a bad tenant can do to your business. Also, know the law, document, and be firm with all your rules.

You won't make money on this deal and will probably lose a bit, but if you eventually plan on living there and just looking to cover as much of your mortgage as possible in the meantime, then go for it. You will learn a ton.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 03-26-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,570 times
Default disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Stop trying to talk yourself into something you no is a bad deal
Not really trying to talk myself into something I know is a bad deal, because I do not believe it is one. Sure, if it was a likely loss, that would be one thing, but I think you are implying too much and I'm glad to see different opinions in the forum that are not solely pessimistic.

As I thought I had mentioned, most appliances are new within last 3 years (same with floors, tile, countertops). Have to keep my eye on the heat pump and W/D but am not too concerned of the newer appliances failing.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
You also need to factor in vacancy, which can really eat up cash-flow if it's sitting empty for a couple months between tenants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
You won't make money on this deal and will probably lose a bit, but if you eventually plan on living there and just looking to cover as much of your mortgage as possible in the meantime, then go for it. You will learn a ton.
Agree on the vacancy being a potential issue, though again, can't imagine most LLs spend over $1K every year on repairs/maintenance (unless it is a large/old house). So, there is risk for major appliances failing, to have a bad renter, and normal maintenance exceeding what I've experienced in the past 3 years. I just don't know if it is reasonable to expect, given the costs, that this property will lose money every year.

Appreciate the advice, though, good considerations.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malboa View Post
Not really trying to talk myself into something I know is a bad deal, because I do not believe it is one. Sure, if it was a likely loss, that would be one thing, but I think you are implying too much and I'm glad to see different opinions in the forum that are not solely pessimistic.

As I thought I had mentioned, most appliances are new within last 3 years (same with floors, tile, countertops). Have to keep my eye on the heat pump and W/D but am not too concerned of the newer appliances failing.
I personally own close to 100 units not implying anything you will lose money. If that’s your business plan that nothing will ever go wrong then go for it. Good luck with what ever you decide but in the last 3-4 years I have bought 4-5 houses a year from failed landlords. Look at all the posts in this thread I did not see anyone tell you it will make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting