Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,572 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a new member and prospective landlord. Welcome any advice on considerations in renting the following property:

condo
mortgage + insurance (escrow) + property tax (escrow) + HOA = $1300
Comparable rental units: $1550-$1600

So, potential profit is $250 assuming repairs, etc are not needed. Condo itself is not new, but appliances, floors, tiles, etc are.

I've been reading on IRS depreciation and believe (possibly incorrectly) that the potential profit will be less than depreciation and therefore, not taxed (am I way off on this?).

Water/sewage/trash included in HOA, utilities on renter.

Some might think the profit is not worth the trouble/risks of renting the property; however, we are not ready to sell (might move back in a few years). Also, recently refinanced so would prefer being able to recoup closing costs, etc then selling in the near future.

Any constructive advice is greatly welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malboa View Post
...we are not ready to sell...
Get over that and sell it anyway.
Rid yourself of the worry and the risk. Move on.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
If you are not close to the property I would suggest a property manager. If you truly want to keep the place I wouldn't worry too much about profit.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Being a landlord is a business... with all that running a business entails.

Residential Landlords can easily get into trouble by not being well versed in the applicable codes and regulations... some places, this can be a daunting task for those just starting out.

On the other hand... if you are committed and want to give it a try... why not?

There is a book you should be able to get at your local library called Landlording by Leigh Robinson. It is an easy read and points out some of the nuances of the business.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. As previously mentioned, we may end up living in the property in a few years, hence why we are interested in renting the place. The purpose will not be to make sufficient income to quit my job but I imagine that is not usually the case for first time landlords, and the way I see it, I will never know how it could be without trying.

The biggest downside is living far away from the unit but I imagine there are other landlords in the same boat. I also figure if the negatives outweigh the positives then we can look at selling, possibly when the market is on the upswing.

I borrowed the NOLO Landlord's Legal Guide from my library which has some useful information.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. As previously mentioned, we may end up living in the property in a few years, hence why we are interested in renting the place. The purpose will not be to make sufficient income to quit my job but I imagine that is not usually the case for first time landlords, and the way I see it, I will never know how it could be without trying.

The biggest downside is living far away from the unit but I imagine there are other landlords in the same boat. I also figure if the negatives outweigh the positives then we can look at selling, possibly when the market is on the upswing.

I borrowed the NOLO Landlord's Legal Guide from my library which has some useful information.
I was a regular at NOLO when they were Berkeley based and that is where I bought my first copy of Landlording.

Around here, typical management runs about 10% with lease and lease renewal fees and service calls additional.

Many tried to discourage me when I moved out of my home and made it my first rental... that was 30 years ago and I still own it and have only had two tenants...

Not going to get rich... it does provide an income stream... I'm still charging the same rent as I was 10 years ago... having a good tenant pays dividends beyond monetarily...

Where is the rental located?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm a new member and prospective landlord. Welcome any advice on considerations in renting the following property:

condo
mortgage + insurance (escrow) + property tax (escrow) + HOA = $1300
Comparable rental units: $1550-$1600

So, potential profit is $250 assuming repairs, etc are not needed. Condo itself is not new, but appliances, floors, tiles, etc are.

I've been reading on IRS depreciation and believe (possibly incorrectly) that the potential profit will be less than depreciation and therefore, not taxed (am I way off on this?).

Water/sewage/trash included in HOA, utilities on renter.

Some might think the profit is not worth the trouble/risks of renting the property; however, we are not ready to sell (might move back in a few years). Also, recently refinanced so would prefer being able to recoup closing costs, etc then selling in the near future.

Any constructive advice is greatly welcomed!
With a 1-year lease (hope they stay for more then 1 year but you cannot count on that) so by your numbers not mine
Mortgage a year 15600
Rent – 1 month 17050
Total profit 1450 a year 120 a month
Now repairs you no what they say about ass-u-me.
The rule-of-thumb for annual maintenance costs range from 1.5 to 4 percent of the house's original cost for an average house. If the condo is worth 100k at 2.5 we are at 2500 dollars a year for a net loss of 1050 a year or 87.5 a month.

If you want to lose money or pay someone so you can work keep it.
Now your HOA might pay for some repairs but it will only take 1 bad tenant to trash your place and with the numbers you gave you will be under water for years.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Where is the rental located?
Arlington, VA.

Yes, the thought of paying a management group 8-10% would barely allow me to break-even, not to cover repairs, etc, let alone any profit.

As the next poster mentions repair/maintenance rule-of-thumb at 1.5-4%. Even assuming the $100K example, annual cost of $1,500 seems high for a condo (maybe that suggestion was for a house?). I have lived here for several years and have spent probably $300 on the occasional plumbing issue (e.g., clogged sink), A/C annual mainteance, and filter replacement.

Now, I know all it takes is one bad tenant or one major problem, such as the heat pump fails, to get expensive, but I have not yet (thankfully) experienced anything near those "rules-of-thumb."

Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Arlington, VA.

Yes, the thought of paying a management group 8-10% would barely allow me to break-even, not to cover repairs, etc, let alone any profit.

As the next poster mentions repair/maintenance rule-of-thumb at 1.5-4%. Even assuming the $100K example, annual cost of $1,500 seems high for a condo (maybe that suggestion was for a house?). I have lived here for several years and have spent probably $300 on the occasional plumbing issue (e.g., clogged sink), A/C annual mainteance, and filter replacement.

Now, I know all it takes is one bad tenant or one major problem, such as the heat pump fails, to get expensive, but I have not yet (thankfully) experienced anything near those "rules-of-thumb."
Put a renter in there and you will it will be on the lower side because of being a condo. You might have a few good ones then you will have the one that cost you 3k in damage. Remember the AC, stove, fridge, garbage disposal,carpet,paint,blinds,ETC do not last forever. The house I live in the paint on the walls look new after 6 years not in any rental. Stop trying to talk yourself into something you no is a bad deal

Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
You need to up the amount you are paying for insurance if you are going to rent...and realize that your mortgage company may have criteria for renting something that is no longer your "primary residence". Make sure you do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting