Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 954 times

Advertisements

In Colorado we have 3 day and 10 day notice to quit by a landlord. You are on the lease and technically his landlord. These notices to quit are used for rent demand or turning over the premises back to you. Court can take up to 90 days. The best remedy is to give him 30 days in writing and the next step would be eviction through the court. An expensive way to do it, and even after you win your case in eviction there will be a lot of fees added to restore your costs to his past due amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 03:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
You've given the person notice to move out? And they haven't? Change the locks. Pack up their stuff and put it into boxes, and leave the boxes in the front yard. Call the police for assistance if you need to.

As is the case in most states, you simply cannot take matters into your own hands to remove somebody who has an established legal tenancy and rights. By allowing somebody to take up residency in the premises, they now have established legal rights to live there. Even if they haven't paid their rent or have otherwise defaulted on the agreement or are unpleasant or a burden in any way. They now have "rights" to live there and are protected by the law.

You must strictly follow the legal procedures leading to an eviction, which include notification and time for them to respond, then obtaining the court order, and finally ... if they don't move out peacefully in accordance with the eviction, then having a deputy come out to oversee their departure and removal of items.

Best to contact the housing authorities/tenants' rights organizations, or a lawyer, to find out the eviction process. It will take time, money, and the potential of a lot of conflict(s) to legally get the tenant out of the premises. If you don't follow the procedures exactly, you are on the wrong side of the tenant's rights laws and subject to criminal prosecution. This is the result of the law bending over backwards to protect the rights of tenants and the consequence of seeing these rights abused by many folk. The big problem here is that you start out with a civil problem and can turn it into a criminal problem for yourself, where the state steps in to protect the tenant. Don't go there. What action that seems on the surface to be reasonable, prudent, and "fair" is not legal; ie, lock somebody out of their residence and they can have the cops on your doorstep citing you for what you've done to them and their possessions. And it wouldn't be unusual for those evicted folk to claim that you've damaged or stolen their possessions, too. At that point, you're on the wrong side of the law and now have even bigger problems to contend with.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
You should have texted him the 30 days notice, that way you would have some proof on your end,. You should also write in his rent receipt that 30 days notice was given on such a day and make him sign it. You do have a verbal lease and agreement but you should have put it in writing. If he doesn't want to leave you need to evict him thru the courts and remind him it will be on his public record if he ever wants to rent again. Also tell him his threats do not work and if you feel threatened you will call the police and make them file a report so it is on file. If he destroys anything tell him you will have him arrested. He can't do too much to your car if you keep it locked besides letting air out of your tires or putting a potato in your exhaust pipe.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy bonilla View Post
What about new york . Verbal agrement weekly basis?
Usually if you have a month to month lease it has to be 30 days notice, if you get paid the rent by the week you can give 7 days notice.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaron View Post
i want her out, she has been in my home 3 months has never paid rent. i live in Florida and she is a slob and steals from me, does drugs has punched me, stabbed me with a screwdriver and want to know my rights, i am on pain meds which she steals from me. i gave her a 3 day notice and my other room mate signed it, what else do i need to do?
You have the right to call the police when someone assaults you.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:39 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveme3 View Post
My mom took in my sons friend to help him out, he came and told her that he didn't have any were to go and he need a place to stay for a couple of weeks. and she told him yes to help him out. Now, he is being very rude to her, sneaking around the house, using her household supplies and even sneaking eating her food. He also has a dog and the association say he has to get rid of the dog and he does want to. My mom want him out what can I do? my mom is in her 70's
How long has he been there? He may have to be evicted. You can try calling the police and see if they will help if he's only been there a very short time.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 642 times
i couldn't finish reading the first paragraph. i was getting a headache. Give him his noticed, period. And what ever you have to deal with. Just think, its only for a month. Not months. He needs to follow the rules. Just like all the rest of us. He is not special. What ever he does thats wrong has a consequences. Thats why we have lawyers, doctors, mechanics, police officers and jobs in all fields. Your not his parent.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2017, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 575 times
I'm having the same situation in California. It's my friends house where I have lived for 9 years and wanted to help this jerk out and his dog is destroying my home "ripping up carpet and padding,urine, window screen" and personal expensive items of mine "chewed up a $1500.00 bed, 17th century desk. This looser will never pay for the destroyed items which he has told me. He did say that I have to give him 30 day's but do I?? I can do that but the enters 9 day's into April which I told him he would have to pay prorated rent for the day's he will be here. He said he will not pay. He is to pay half the utilities but I told him I do not want any money for them for Feb and March because he for one never pays me on time and I don't want to except anymore money from him to eliminate drama. I would rather eat it, I just want him and his dogs out!! I am now not letting him use my brand new washer and dryer which belong to me not my landlords. From what I'm reading I do have to give him a written notice, is this correct even though we had no written agreement and his dog is destroying my home????

Old 04-14-2017, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 520 times
is this thread still active? I really need some advice, If anyone is there please reply to this message so that I can give further details

Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie.95 View Post
is this thread still active? I really need some advice, If anyone is there please reply to this message so that I can give further details
Start a new thread asking for advice on your specific situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting