Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 AM

218 posts, read 775,475 times

Advertisements

Question for LL.

Curious about something - my tenant moved in about 3 weeks ago. We did the walkthorugh and he had mentioned some stuff that he wanted replaced. One was new blinds as the ones that were there were too "stiff" to open. They were replaced.

Other stuff like replacing bulbs and so on and the one thing he kept mentioning was that he wanted a new screen door. The door is fine (working well) but showing it's age - slightly rusted and not new. It's a side door and something that we put in when we moved there years ago. I told him that I would not replace it (the first time) and every time after that.

Well now he's saying that it looks ready to "break" - I think he's insistent on getting a new screen door and won't take no as an answer despite signing off on the move-in check list (I had mentioned the rust and took pictures of the door on that form).

So I'm curious - once it "breaks" - is the LL responsible?

Would a screen door be considered an appliance (which I know is LL's responsibility to repair/replace).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
You know it's old. So replace it. Some one gets cut on the rust YOUR responsible for Dr bills... tetness lockjaw comes to mind... can kill...

Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
It's a side door and something that we put in when we moved there years ago.
(and a door that you haven't used much?)

Well now he's saying that it looks ready to "break"...
Is the tenant actually using this door ?

Quote:
So I'm curious - once it "breaks" - is the LL responsible?
The subjective question is whether that damage is from normal use or not.
If so... then it's on you.

The biggest issue is here is the vague terms being used both by both you and the tenant.
Doors have hinges and latches and need to fit the opening square/level.
What about that door is "broken"?

A screen door shouldn't require much effort to open or to close/lock...
but should fit/seal tight into the jamb to keep the bugs out. Does yours?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM

Yes, the door slides fine and fits into the jamb. And yes, he uses the door. And YES - keeps the bugs out.

My concern is that he just doesn't like it and wants a new one.

I went through this before with a previous tenant who complained that her microwave oven was heating her food up too hot (that sounds weird but you get my drift). SO I got her a new one.

We used the door all the time - but the difference is - when I use something I'm very careful. I dunno - I suppose I'll just get a new one. Another 200 bucks down the drain.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM

166 posts, read 443,064 times
The door is your property, so yes you have to replace it, once you do if the tenant messes it up beyond normal wear and tear then he pays for it. As a renter who just went through hell with a couple of slumlords that are now on their third renter in 1 1/2 years wouldn't you rather have a happy long term renter?

Nothing worse then a landlord or tenant from hell. Our last landlord is milking us for every penny, I could fight the charges, then turn around and charge them $1,300 for doing their duty, which was to sanitize and keep safe common areas, dog **** from the yard, their dog ****. but I have a legal option that is going to cost them more then the bogus charges they are adding to our last bill. Karma is a b**ch and it's about to come knocking on their door.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You don't sound in the least bit like a slumlord but your new tenant sounds like a total pain and it's not likely to get any better. When you take a rental you take it "AS IS" and if something isn't to your liking there's no harm at all in asking that it be changed out before you sign on the dotted line but if the LL declines then it's your choice to either live with it or look for an alternative rental.

An operational screen door is nice to have but to change it out just because the tenant doesn't happen to like the fact that it's sightly rusted or worn is entirely your choice. You said "no" from the beginning. It's not an appliance and (Katie1, please let's not get totally carried away here!) a little rust is not a health hazard.

Good luck with this tenant but I'd suggest you stick to your guns on this one otherwise the continued requests are likely to escalate.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
The problem with screen doors is that they all break, very quickly, unless you are very careful with them. We don't include them on our rentals, and we tell the tenants if they want to put one on (I'm talking about sliding screen doors on sliding glass doors, here, which are really easy to put on, and don't require "installation"), they can at their expense. When the tenant moves out, if they leave it behind, we throw them away. If there is a screen door when the new tenant moves in, they expect it to be replaced WHEN it breaks, which they all do, very quickly. Therefore, we treat screen doors more like personal property. If we do leave one on from a prior tenant, we write it right into the lease that it is there as a bonus, with no warranty for continued use, and that we will NOT replace/fix it when it breaks.

Now a hinged screen door would be a different issue, since it is attached to the building. I would expect a landlord to fix that if it was broken or needed maintenance.

You indicated the door slides, so I assume it is the former type, rather than the latter.

Either way, if you told the tenant, prior to their moving in, that the screen door would not be replaced, and they moved in anyway, knowing that, I would not replace it. A screen door is an optional feature, not related to habitability.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You don't sound in the least bit like a slumlord but your new tenant sounds like a total pain and it's not likely to get any better. When you take a rental you take it "AS IS" and if something isn't to your liking there's no harm at all in asking that it be changed out before you sign on the dotted line but if the LL declines then it's your choice to either live with it or look for an alternative rental.

An operational screen door is nice to have but to change it out just because the tenant doesn't happen to like the fact that it's sightly rusted or worn is entirely your choice. You said "no" from the beginning. It's not an appliance and (Katie1, please let's not get totally carried away here!) a little rust is not a health hazard.

Good luck with this tenant but I'd suggest you stick to your guns on this one otherwise the continued requests are likely to escalate.
Haven't reached the slumlord part yet However I do understand - through experience - and this board how both sides can become bitter.

He is a total pain. And I did tell him the first time NO and then every time after that.

See, the first tenant I was telling you about - replacing the microwave. I knew she wanted a new one to match the rest of the kitchen. We all knew that. BUT, she had been there about 9 months, was a great tenant AND paid every month on time (2 yr lease). So I didn't mind doing this for her.

This guy - from day 1.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I don't want to be an a** but don't want to be stepped on either.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
The problem with screen doors is that they all break, very quickly, unless you are very careful with them. We don't include them on our rentals, and we tell the tenants if they want to put one on (I'm talking about sliding screen doors on sliding glass doors, here, which are really easy to put on, and don't require "installation"), they can at their expense. When the tenant moves out, if they leave it behind, we throw them away. If there is a screen door when the new tenant moves in, they expect it to be replaced WHEN it breaks, which they all do, very quickly. Therefore, we treat screen doors more like personal property. If we do leave one on from a prior tenant, we write it right into the lease that it is there as a bonus, with no warranty for continued use, and that we will NOT replace/fix it when it breaks.

Now a hinged screen door would be a different issue, since it is attached to the building. I would expect a landlord to fix that if it was broken or needed maintenance.

You indicated the door slides, so I assume it is the former type, rather than the latter.

Either way, if you told the tenant, prior to their moving in, that the screen door would not be replaced, and they moved in anyway, knowing that, I would not replace it. A screen door is an optional feature, not related to habitability.
EXACTLY! He's like a bull in a china shop. Another lesson - remove screen door.

And yes, no hinges - just slides.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
I agree with the folks that say "stick to your guns...no means no". Sounds like you've documented how the screen door looked upon move-in, so just continue to tell your tenant that it won't be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting