Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 PM

118 posts, read 887,266 times

Advertisements

A year ago, I checked craigslist and it was flooded with crap listings made by scam companies who claimed to have preforeclosure listings for rent.

Lately, as I advertise my own rental, I see more scam companies joining the game, preying on the gullible.

The formula is the same. They register a bunch of toll free numbers, and put up a bunch of fake listings with fake pictures, enticing people by the lack of credit check requirement, and charging a sum of money for a list of bogus listings. for example....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...705003793.html

This scam company registered www.newhousehunters.com with godaddy, under the bogus name of "House Hunters"

The only thing that pisses me off is that these listings aren't being taken down fast enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Caveat emptor! When scam listings are reported in my area the time taken to remove them varies quite a bit and I'm sure that's the same everywhere.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:18 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I was curious after reading the OP so I looked at the listing. In small print it says at the bottom, "We are a Preforeclosure listing service. There is no pre-existing contract between our service and homeowners. Prices are an estimate based on property assessed total. Do not disturb current residence."

So they are listing a house for rent THAT THEY HAVE NO LEGAL CONNECTION TO AT ALL?!!

I'd never heard of this particular scam. And "caveat emptor," of course, but is this kind of listing legal in ANY way? They even suggest "setting up a walk-through" -- but it's not THEIRS.

I don't know why I am surprised that people are this low.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:20 PM

118 posts, read 887,266 times
I did some googling. What happens is- prospects contact these preforeclosure homeowners, who are surprised their house is even listed at all because they are, in fact, not even in preforeclosure.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 12,067 times
Well I came across another rent to own scam on craigslist. Equity Search by Date Capital. When you call they want to charge you $99.00 for a listing of foreclosure in a area. Suppose to give you the list, you contact the owner and ask them if you can take over their mortage payments in exchange for saving them from foreclosure. If you ask a question they try to fast talk you into joining for further info.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithism brown View Post
Well I came across another rent to own scam on craigslist. Equity Search by Date Capital. When you call they want to charge you $99.00 for a listing of foreclosure in a area. Suppose to give you the list, you contact the owner and ask them if you can take over their mortage payments in exchange for saving them from foreclosure. If you ask a question they try to fast talk you into joining for further info.
this is true but now they raised the 99$ to 100$ i will admit i was almost gullible until i googled them and my bank also denied them. this is all scams craigslist shouldn't even allow them to post their fake listings.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le__ebony View Post
... craigslist shouldn't even allow them to post their fake listings.
Craigslist can't possibly vet the millions of FREE ads posted on their innumerable sites. If you see or find yourself dealing with an obvious scammer then instead of just groaning, flag it. When a certain number of people flag an ad it's removed but, if nobody flags it, it stays there.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Craigslist can't possibly vet the millions of FREE ads posted on their innumerable sites. If you see or find yourself dealing with an obvious scammer then instead of just groaning, flag it. When a certain number of people flag an ad it's removed but, if nobody flags it, it stays there.
This ^

No need to get butt hurt or get your blood pressure up .... its craigslist. Happens 100's of thousands of times daily on their site.

Its like going to a big city and attempting to end all jay walking. Never gonna happen.

Just flag it and move on.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,507 times
Default Data Capitol

Just spoke to data capitol they r stillllllll in the scaming. Ae ther real progams in Georgia pls help me:ma d: let e pull it togther?????

Old 05-24-2015, 01:44 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
........ In small print it says at the bottom, "We are a Preforeclosure listing service. There is no pre-existing contract between our service and homeowners. Prices are an estimate based on property assessed total. Do not disturb current residence."..........
That should be enough of a hint for anyone that it's not a good idea to contact them. It's pretty darn clear; it's not like the disclaimer is written in Classical Latin to hide the fact that the don't have a price and they don't have any relationship to the owner of the property.

However, I suspect that a lot of hopeful tenants never read the ads at all. If I put an ad in with complete information, that says no smoking, no pitbulls, and DO NOT TEXT. I will get at least twenty texts asking "how many bedrooms" and I will get about 20 people trying to rent who own a pitbull, and fully 1/3 of the people who show up to look are smokers. If they would just read the entire ad, they could save themselves some wasted time. They also might see that disclaimer, as given above, and know not to respond to that particular ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting