U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 PM

18,041 posts, read 14,290,491 times

Advertisements

My renters of good conduct and 2 1/2 years despite all good will broke the lease, repainted (which had to be fixed cost $1200.00) and condo to be cleaned over and above their meager efforts ($310.00) Additionally they wanted to purchase some furnishings (some they had damaged) $2350.00. There was a final utilities bill which he made every effort to deceive me about which is now paid. He also took a butcher's block to his home without my knowledge or permission to "clean it". Again without my knowledge he attempted to return it to the storage where had delivered my belongings which they did not want to buy and could not as I had the gate code changed. He is refusing to pay $800.00 for fees in painting and cleaning that he feels he should not be held accountable for. He is arrogant and defiant however he does what he says and today he made a promise to pay another $500.00 did so, and intends to return the butcher block tomorrow he stated to the storage manager.

Given that people will act very oddly about money my options appear limited other than to encourage him to be honest and pay the debt. I will not forgive it given his dishonesty.

If a landlord here has been through similar where the tenant breaks the lease and wants to pick and choose what they will and won't pay please let me know what worked for you.

I was able to rent the condo after it was repainted and cleaned so there was no loss of rent no thanks to this man who now I hold with little respect.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM

32,184 posts, read 74,537,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
2 1/2 years... broke the lease... repainted... cleaned over... utilities bill
$800.00 for painting and cleaning... pay another $500.00
I was able to rent the condo after it was repainted and cleaned so there was no loss of rent
(emotionality edited out)
Renters leave, repairs need to be made, bills get presented, some get paid and some don't.
New renters come in and hopefully landlords learn some lessons in the process.
c'est la vie

What lessons have *you* learned in this?
Monitor interior condition more regularly/uniformly?
Have more/adequate security deposit money in reserve?
Don't leave personal property for the use of a tenant?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 PM

851 posts, read 3,493,024 times
Someone lived there for 2.5 years and you're complaining about repainting? That's pretty typical maintenance...

Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 AM

3,199 posts, read 12,653,215 times
Assuming you have already sent a proper security deposit refund statement with copies of invoices and receipts to document your expenses, what's left over? You can always take him to Small Claims Court where, if you win, your court costs will be added to the judgment (don't forget to file the appropriate paperwork on that). Know the law as it applies to you and act accordingly.

Always charge the maximum deposit allowable - at the very lease an amount equal to a full month's rent. Photograph an document the move in and move out, and do periodic inspections every 6 months or so. Stop trying to be friendly and treat all of this as a business transaction at all times.

I've had people move out of condos and houses after 2 or 3 years and all the walls needed was a touch up here and there. A total repaint is not "normal" in my opinion. Damage and dirt are not normal wear and tear and neither is fixing someone's bad paint job. That I have done many times, when they used the wrong paint to touch up, or something like that. They mess it up, they pay to fix it up.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM

10,445 posts, read 23,567,448 times
I'm not seeing the problem here. Your tenant left and won't be getting all/any of his security deposit back due to damages. If the amount exceeds the security deposit, take him to court for the balance.

Doing these things after a tenant are pretty much expected...you might have to paint, you might have to clean, you might have to remove garbage, you might have to replace carpet....all of which comes out of the deposit and is part of running your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting