Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times

Advertisements

I do not wear my shoes in the house and I rent. You have no idea what you are tracking all through your house if you come in from outside and go tromping all around the house. I find it disgusting.

It doesn't matter if I rent or were to own, it's where I live NOW and I like where I live to be clean.

Some people WOULD live in filth even if it was their own home. I've seen some people's homes and yes, they do leave their bathrooms like they do a public restroom, amongst other rooms in the house.

Some people are just pigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
I go barefoot in my house almost 100% of the time. We built the house, and are the only ones who have ever lived on the carpet (been there 10 years now). The carpet still looks and feels brand new. In my apartment, however, the carpet was not new when we moved in, so who knows what all was in it, plus it was cheap carpet and cheap pad, so not as nice to walk on, so I left my shoes on a lot more often. I'm sure that wore out the carpet a lot faster. I lived there 3 years, and got every penny of my deposit back, though.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,660 times
Since it hasn't been mentioned the amount of people (and animals) living in a home, makes a difference on the wear and tear as well. I lived alone for the first two years, and when I added my dog, she brought more dirt. But, the two of us still create a fraction of the amount of wear and tear compared to my neighbor that's had 3 adults and up to 5 kids in the same size of space.

Even my neighbors that are homeowners, and are renting temporarily, might have family--2 adults and a child--come live with them for several months, and they don't intend to inform the LL.

And then I had the former neighbors that had parties multiple times per month, and people in and out of the property all day, every day, AND more people living there then allowed.

The SS I have an offer on has some of the dirtiest carpet I've ever seen. It didn't smell bad, and I now think it was probably big dogs that tracked in mud and snow on their bellies. I'm not sure if I should try and have it cleaned or just replace it since money will be tight for 6 months or so after move in (knock on wood it's still not a done deal). I wipe my dog's paws and belly off if it's wet!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM

701 posts, read 1,690,791 times
Speaking of the way owners treat their carpets, I had occasion to discover this first-hand this past weekend. My landlord left some area rugs over the hardwood floor in the bedroom. I was vacuuming in the bedroom and accidentally bunched up the rug only to discover massive quantities of what appeared to be sand underneath. Since I haven't lived there long enough to cause buildup of that kind at all, never go to the beach, and don't use that part of the room anyway, I'm pretty sure it wasn't mine. And this was a house that had been on the market for sale! Wow.

As a renter, in houses that had wall-to-wall carpeting I usually rented a Rug Doctor once a year and then paid for a professional cleaning when I moved out. Spills were cleaned up as they occurred. I do wear shoes in the house, or slippers, but I have mats at the entrances to wipe my feet and leave especially dirty shoes before I come in. If I owned a house, I'd do the same thing, and that's the way I was brought up (my parents own a house with carpeting and they never made people take their shoes off inside).

Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times
i treat it the same as i would otherwise. why would i suddenly change my behavior unless it was horrible and needed correcting beforehand?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I go barefoot in my house almost 100% of the time. We built the house, and are the only ones who have ever lived on the carpet (been there 10 years now). The carpet still looks and feels brand new. In my apartment, however, the carpet was not new when we moved in, so who knows what all was in it, plus it was cheap carpet and cheap pad, so not as nice to walk on, so I left my shoes on a lot more often. I'm sure that wore out the carpet a lot faster. I lived there 3 years, and got every penny of my deposit back, though.
Like I posted before. Going barefoot is bad for the carpet. I was in the business for 40 years before I retired.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Like I posted before. Going barefoot is bad for the carpet. I was in the business for 40 years before I retired.
You and I have had this conversation in another thread before.

All I'm saying is that in my experience, my entire family (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, anyone who visits the house) goes barefoot in our houses, and has all our lives, and we've never had any carpet show any significant sign of wear or deterioration, let alone excessive. We've never had carpet less than 12 years, except my house, as it is only 10 years old.

My grandparents house still has carpet in it from when my mother (who is now 59 years old) was a little girl. It still looks almost brand new, despite over 50 years of barefoot generations on it.

Maybe my family is less oily than average.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
All I can tell you is from experience and from the mills that make it.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,660 times
Well wearing socks or slippers obviously would be a good option as well...

Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Years ago, we had a "carpet inspector" come to our house. We were trying to claim the warranty on the carpet we had recently installed that had worn in 6 months. Supposed to be a "high traffic" carpet, was a POS.

My point is that the man who came from Mohawk told us the same thing - don't go barefoot on your carpet due to the oils (he even mentioned sweat) on your feet.

He said the best thing to do was to take outside shoes off immediately and put on a pair of socks or designated house shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting