Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm curious. She mentioned that he verbally said he would provide a washer and dryer in the house. If he does not provide them and doesn't put it in the lease, couldn't the landlord be sued for false advertising?
Anyone can be sued for anything.

In *this* case* if the tenant can demonstrate enough other poor dealings by the LL
the Judge is likely to believe they were promised a common appliance.

Quote:
Do renters need to start bringing lawyers with them during lease signing?
Renters need to know that there are at least as many bad LL's as there are bad tenants.
This shows up a lot at the low end with the sleaze operator and with the "accidental landlord".
Caveat Emptor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,139 times
Send a letter to your States Attorney Generals Office, call the local Building Inspector for code violations,

Check out MrLandlord.com they have all kind of Land lord on that board and they are always talking about how they cheat tenants.

You can also call the Human Rights Office and file a complaint.

The Government is on your side. Many cities have laws against these vultures.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 AM

16 posts, read 35,446 times
As you signed the lease and If your landlord don't receive your call. You have to meet him personally and then discuss your problems. If then your landlord don't do anything then you can take action. Because do everything to let him know about your problems and it is his fault that he don't do anything not your.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 AM

6 posts, read 6,420 times
Default land lord to Fix W/D but didnt do it or answer you emails

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
my issue(s) aren't too complicated, but I am unsure of what to do for my next move. I have signed a one year lease back in January in Fredericksburg, VA. January and February went smoothly, but in March things started to break in the house. I have no AC or heat. I was also promised a washer/dryer upon moving in. My landlord refuses to speak to me on the phone or answer any texts. I am current with my rent, but I don't want to have to go through the summer without AC. And, not having a washer/dryer is slowly becoming more a hassle. I have been in contact with a lawyer who says to repair everything myself, but I am more inclined to get out as I see this being an ongoing issue. Do I have the right to leave and nullify the lease? I was debating on whether or not to withhold May's rent to at least get him to contact me, but I am worried about late payments etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

what the 3 tenants did here on this huge house broken into 4 units....is let the Owner in another state Know of the Issue.....He would always say.....Fix it and send me the bill....do Not take it out of the Rent for my tax purposes...etc....

after a mth or so went by....the other Tenants Would Have to Deduct it from their rent or ...they did not get reembursed for the Repair Expenses....

so in my view...as a tenant....if something is broken.....and the Owner will Not Own Up....have the item Fixed with a Bill in the Owners name....pay it...n send him/her the bill for them to pay you back for it.

If they dont after 2 mths .... and a few emails asking for it ...keeping a file on ALL for court purposes ....then Deduct it From Your Rent.....

IN MY VIEW ..RESPECT IS AS TWO WAY STREET IN LIFE......

hope that helps....

Old 07-13-2013, 02:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent issues View Post
what the 3 tenants did here on this huge house broken into 4 units....is let the Owner in another state Know of the Issue.....He would always say.....Fix it and send me the bill....do Not take it out of the Rent for my tax purposes...etc....

after a mth or so went by....the other Tenants Would Have to Deduct it from their rent or ...they did not get reembursed for the Repair Expenses....

so in my view...as a tenant....if something is broken.....and the Owner will Not Own Up....have the item Fixed with a Bill in the Owners name....pay it...n send him/her the bill for them to pay you back for it.

If they dont after 2 mths .... and a few emails asking for it ...keeping a file on ALL for court purposes ....then Deduct it From Your Rent.....

IN MY VIEW ..RESPECT IS AS TWO WAY STREET IN LIFE......

hope that helps....
Well, your view is wrong in many states and would just end up getting the tenant evicted for not paying the rent. You can't just withhold money from the rent without following some very specific legal steps and those only apply to a very limited list of health and safety issues. Here is what is required in Texas, most states have their own requirements. Austin Tenants’ Council/Repairs: The Tenant’s Right and the Landlord’s Duty

Old 07-13-2013, 02:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent issues View Post

hope that helps....
No it doesn't and it's extremely bad advice which flies in the face of every state's landlord tenant laws. You're working on the misguided principle that because one LL had a special agreement with his tenants then that agreement is legal everywhere and in every situation. It's not.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 884 times
My landlord is driving me crazy just renewed and signed a new 1 year lease completed an inspection report with landlords twice items were marked not checked upon receiving it so i should landlord again areas that were checked and crossed out the word not and we signed it now three days later she is calling yelling that it was scribble scrabble this was done in front of her and there was no problem house is in better condition than when i initially rented it she always demands cash for rent i am always on time never give a hard time but always getting harassed now she wants a new inspection report re-ritten four days later and wants a copy of my drivers lic and my social sec number lease is already signed in state of florida do i need to provide that after the fact very frustrated landlord wont even provide me with her current address or any of her info

Old 12-04-2013, 01:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger70 View Post
My landlord is driving me crazy just renewed and signed a new 1 year lease completed an inspection report with landlords twice items were marked not checked upon receiving it so i should landlord again areas that were checked and crossed out the word not and we signed it now three days later she is calling yelling that it was scribble scrabble this was done in front of her and there was no problem house is in better condition than when i initially rented it she always demands cash for rent i am always on time never give a hard time but always getting harassed now she wants a new inspection report re-ritten four days later and wants a copy of my drivers lic and my social sec number lease is already signed in state of florida do i need to provide that after the fact very frustrated landlord wont even provide me with her current address or any of her info
Sorting through your post is a formidable task.

You signed a new lease but now you want out because the things you wanted fixed haven't been fixed? So why did you sign a new lease?

Do you have receipts for your cash payments of rent?

The LL's address should be on the lease agreement you signed.

If you can put your question into understandable English along with paragraphs and basic punctuation, responses might be forthcoming but that's the best I can do.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Sorting through your post is a formidable task.

You signed a new lease but now you want out because the things you wanted fixed haven't been fixed? So why did you sign a new lease?

Do you have receipts for your cash payments of rent?

The LL's address should be on the lease agreement you signed.

If you can put your question into understandable English along with paragraphs and basic punctuation, responses might be forthcoming but that's the best I can do.

That made my brain hurt. You're better than I am for even being able to offer the responses you did.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger70 View Post
No you do not have to provide any of that information or sign any additional documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting