Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,798 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
I stay in Fort Worth, Tarrant county.
My lease ends in August 2012, and I will be moving to new place due to job change
in June first week.
Would appreciate if I get following queries addressed asap:

1) Do I need to pay both re letting fee an remaining (June-August) rent amount for moving out? Or, it is
just the remaining rent amount?
2) Can I avoid any fee due to job change , that too, to a different state? I heard that moving beyond certain distance may lead to avoiding the fee.
3) Does this affect credit history? And even if I pay remaining rent and/or re letting fee, would it still affect credit history?

I need urgent reply, because based upon the fee, I can ask for relocation package to my new company.

Thanks

sedy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sed_y View Post
1) Do I need to pay both re letting fee and remaining rent...?
Or, it is just the remaining rent amount?
It should be one or the other. NOT both.

Quote:
2) Can I avoid any fee due to job change , that too, to a different state? NO
3) Does this affect credit history? Not if you play nice and honor the contract.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
What does 'you stay in Fort Worth' actually mean? Does it mean you live there? Does it mean you're on vacation there? What exactly does 'stay there' mean?

Read your lease and find out what it says about 'early termination' and then follow it to the T.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
The lease you signed should lay out the terms you agreed to. What does it say?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
If you pay the remaining months you don't have to pay any extra fee and it won't impact your credit.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Typically you owe rent on the due date until end of lease or until it is rerented to someone else, whichever comes first. You don't pay the rent up front in this case, you pay by the due date.

some leases have early termination clause. read your lease. often it is a 1 or 2 month fee that you pay the landlord upon move out, as a settlement fee. then you are released from the lease and owe no more. the landlord can then rerent right away and doesn't owe you any refund.

even if you dont have a termination fee written in the lease, you can call the landlord and ask if they would consider one. try to see if they will accept 1.5x monthly rent as a one time fee. if they agree, make sure they put agreement in writing so they wont come after you later for rent. it's a win win for the landlord if they think they can rerent quickly. because with termination fee, they can double dip by getting your fee and rerenting quickly.

good luck on your move. i am not aware of any rules about moving far away and getting out of lease unless you are military or unless you have this written in your lease. read your lease.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If you pay the remaining months you (shouldn't) have to pay any extra fee
and it won't impact your credit.
Or the reverse: Pay the breaking fee but pay no rent once you're out.

A problem today is LL's who write their leases to allow for getting both.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Anyone who would pay the remaining rent and the a fee kind of deserves what they get. Just pay the rent in the normal fashion.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Anyone who would pay the remaining rent and the a fee kind of deserves what they get. Just pay the rent in the normal fashion.
And don't forget to give your 30 or 60 day notice in writing.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
2) Can I avoid any fee due to job change , that too, to a different state? I heard that moving beyond certain distance may lead to avoiding the fee.
This ain't no gym membership.

All your questions would be answered by merely reading the lease that you signed.

Quote:
3) Does this affect credit history? And even if I pay remaining rent and/or re letting fee, would it still affect credit history?
Not if you pay what you agreed to. If you leave owing somebody money, and they pursue it, it would most likely affect your credit history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting