Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM

163 posts, read 269,868 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have never rented before so I am not sure how this works but I'm wondering if its appropriate to offer the cash value of the lease up front for a discount. For example, this place is 1,145 a month for 6 months. That's 6,870. Would offering 6,500 in cash be an insult? Do people do this at all? Just trying to get a feel. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
I have never rented before so I am not sure how this works but...
No landlord in his right mind will accept advance rent payments.
Even at full rate.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No landlord in his right mind will accept advance rent payments.
Even at full rate.
Why is that? Appreciate it.

I'm a landlord and I would and have in the past. Only a couple months in advance though because they were going to be out of town.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Why is that? Appreciate it.
In short, you lose your leverage if/when problems crop up.
Beyond that it's a sign that the applicant has credit or income legitimacy issues.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In short, you lose your leverage if/when problems crop up.
Beyond that it's a sign that the applicant has credit or income legitimacy issues.
Who loses leverage. Myself as the renter? I could understand that but as the landlord it's a benefit as far as I'm
concerned. And I would be providing a credit report as well as my mortgage statements because I have nothing I hide.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM

I just googled it which I should've done in the worst place. The worst thing about doing it as I mentioned is if the homeowner doesn't pay the mortgage and you get kicked out.

Forget the idea. /thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Who loses leverage. Myself as the renter? I could understand that but as the landlord it's a benefit as far as I'm
concerned. And I would be providing a credit report as well as my mortgage statements because I have nothing I hide.

Because kicking you out would be a major pain in the ass.

Wanting to pay rent up front like that raises a huge, huge red flag. It's says that you have something to hide.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,170 times
I've heard of it happening.

I know someone who prepaid for an apartment lease, at a higher monthly rate. But that was in Avery competitive market, where bidding wars were sparked even for apartments.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
It isn’t always an incentive to the property owner to have the rent prepaid. If your state sets the maximum amount of advance payments (any money paid in advance such as last month and security deposits) often times the tenant has the right at their discretion, to request a refund of any advance payment above the maximum legal amount allowed under the law.

Let’s say the rent is $100.00. You offer $1,235, all at once, which represents the entire 1 year lease plus 1 month security deposit at a discount rate of $95 a month. The law says the owner can only legally retain 2 months’ rent and 1 month security deposit. The owner accepts your discount and advance payment. Now, 3 months into the lease you request a refund of the amount above the 2 months plus security deposit. The property owner is now required to refund the overage yet is still stuck charging the agreed upon amount of $95 a month instead of $100. Even if the lease lets them raise the rate to the actual amount, you can stop paying or do other things and the owner who accepted you based on the prepayment, is stuck with a deadbeat as bad as someone paying monthly.

No incentive at all.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,069 times
My sister got new renters awhile ago. Their rental is right next door, so they aren't distant LL's. Folks paid deposit and 1st / last in cash and then moved in. The next morning, they came over and asked what the rent was each month again and then pulled out a roll of cash and peeled off enough to cover the one year lease.

My sister and BIL were very happy about it...they get to bank the money and collect the interest from it for a whole year. It's been a few months and they are happy with the renters.

I never thought about the other issues brought up here. I think, if I was a LL, it would raise red flags for me if someone proposed prepaying that far in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting