Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

I had to move to a different city 2 years ago and had to rent my house for the last 2 years.
The tenants left without cleaning anything at all.

My property manager sent me an email with pictures and said that we would need to replace the carpet before putting the house back in the market for rental.
I made the 3 hour drive to the house one weekend to check the house and it looked much better than what I expected.
Walls needed to be painted, carpet had some stains, sinks and bathrooms were dirty, normal stuff.
I rented the carpet cleaner from Lowe's and was able to get most stains out but a few small stains I was unable to get them out..... also that's when I noticed that the carpet hadn't been vacuumed at all.

I think is pointless to put in a brand new carpet to rent out the house (some people disagree with me on that)
I feel that if I was gonna rent a house, the last thing that I care about is whether or not the carpet is new.
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't want a brand new light colored carpet because then I have to worry about possibly getting a stain on it.
All I want to do, is get the carpet professionally clean and I think that should be good enough.

What do you guys think?
Would you replace the carpet or just get it professionally clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Clean it professionally

Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default No brainer

What Copsgirl73 wrote.
$200 for Coit, Stanley Steemer.
You don't replace the carpet until you are ready to sell.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
You wouldn't be concerned about the shape of the carpet if you were ONLY a renter?

Yeah, ok.

Would you pay the rent you are asking and live with the carpet in the shape it's in? Would the folks you're looking to rent to (the market you're renting to) be ok with it?

Personally, I hate stained/dirty carpet.

I don't want to imagine what created "that stain" and it really is just disgusting.

You can always pull the carpet up and put in laminate or a new carpet and write it off.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:33 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Well IF you don't care about you house... Then guess your next tenants won't either. On the other hand state may care. Sounds like your a slumlord!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
It really depends on where the 'stains' are and how big/bad/noticable/extensive they are as well as the neighborhood/ type of tenants you'll most likely be getting as well as whether or not an other-than-brand-new looking carpet is the one bad feature in an otherwise fabulous house.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well IF you don't care about you house... Then guess your next tenants won't either. On the other hand state may care. Sounds like your a slumlord!
Ridiculous post.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:23 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
Personally.. get rid of the carpet and invest in a poured concret floor and have it stained a nice color and polished to a high gloss .. Tenants want rugs they have to buy them.. the hard floor is much easier care and upkeep long term..

Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
It depends.

How old is the carpet? Is it showing signs of age in addition to the stains? How visible/where are the stains? Would you want to live in a house with carpet in this condition, regardless of if you're renting or owning?

The carpet in the house we rent is older carpet, but it’s in nice condition and the landlord had it professionally cleaned prior to us moving in. We’re looking at buying this house – and if we do, the carpet is going to be one of the first things to go, but that’s really due to my preferences as opposed to a judgment on the carpet.

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience with your last tenants, but believe me when I tell you, we’re not all like that. My husband and I faithfully vacuum the carpet (including the stairs) with our Dyson weekly, with additional vacuuming as necessary.

Get the carpet professionally cleaned, and take an assessment of it after that point. Maybe bring a painfully honest friend with you if necessary. Observe the stains, see where they are and how they look. If they’re small and in a place that would realistically be covered by furniture, you’re probably okay. If they’re big and visible and colorful or if there are obvious signs of wear, you probably should replace the carpet.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
do not clean
do not replace the carpet
get rid of the carpet
My high end rentals tile or wood floors 1.25 a foot
Lower end wood vinyl flooring .99 cents a foot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting