Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 06:04 AM

14 posts, read 24,190 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to find all and any laws or rights on the Internet and am not having much luck. My landlord came onto the property one day after giving him our 60 day notice without letting us know to "do the yard". I understand this is the OUTSIDE of the house but I feel there should be some kind of tenant right against the rest of what he did...early in the morning I was sleeping and kept hearing noises outside, my husband and son were awake. When I asked my husban what that noise was (since it woke me up) he stated he did not know. We let it go assuming it was coming from the loud high school that was directly across the street from our home. After getting up I dressed my one year old son and opened up the back door and back windows to allow him to play in our very large, gated backyard while I made breakfast. After he was already playing outside for a while I brought him in to feed him, returned him outside an walked out my door to go check my mail down the street. Upon exiting my door I see my landlord and his girlfriend walking around the windows to the side of our house and the landlord GOING IN MY BACKYARD! I was beyond heated! My main concern: MY TODDLER WAS PLAYING OUT THERE THIS WHOLE TIME and we had no clue 1. That you were coming in and out of our gate? What if you "accidentally" left it open or didn't close it correctly and he got out? He is famous for running down the street! 2. You may have had unsupervised contact with my toddler who can not speak a word yet that we knew nothing about, and bottom line WE DO Not KNOW You LIKE THAT TO FEEL comfortbale enough to be around our son without us knowing! We already got a weird vibe from him the say we say the home and signed our lease when our son touched the living room blinds and they all came falling down because they were already previously broken and he had them on with tape -_- he acted weird about it which in turn makes me irritate to think that he was enerring my backyard with 1 year old back there. Weirdo SMH SMH and let me add: the while backyard was dirt, not grass, not trees! in my opinion he had nothing back there to be doing "yard work" on, all the grass, trees, and weeds were in the front of the home. Then as I proceed to the mailbox, the landlords girlfriend is walking back and forth from their home (which was on the next block) to our house like its a free for all! Then he has the guts to threaten my husband against our deposit because doing the yard was in the lease! Yes it was! He was correct and it was our mistake i did not catch that one thing and remember it in the lease! I was extremely sick and pregnant during these times he pulled this crap. Do you not own a cell phone to call us on and give notice that we need to take care of it being that we had MORE than 30 days to move out??? Do you not have a working hand to push one little button on our door to notify us that you will be by our windows making loud noise and entering our backyard? Simple things that could have been avoided! I would have said "sure! I never meant to not keep up with the yard I can hire a Gardner ASAP to take care of it, that part of the lease just slipped my mind" and I Also would have kept my son in the house for the time being that he was out there...very irritating! He just seemed pissed about our notice, suddenly came over without is knowing and being rude which is a side of him we had never seen. He even had my husband work with him a few times prior to all this and seemed to be a decent guy but possibly not a big fan of kids. I feel he suddenly started acting this way because he was mad I didn't want to purchase his house and that I have him a 60 day notice of leaving.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Ok, I didn't read your whole story. Just looking at the title I can tell you that a landlord is supposed to give you at least 24 hours prior notice before coming on to your property. I don't know if it's just a few states or a federal thing but while you're renting, it's basically like your property and in CA at least, landlords have actually been arrested for trespassing.

Check these sources for what you may be able to do about:

California Tenant Law - Free legal advice for California renters

Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedream11 View Post
After getting up I dressed my one year old son and opened up the back door and back windows to allow him to play in our very large, gated backyard while I made breakfast. After he was already playing outside for a while I brought him in to feed him, returned him outside an walked out my door to go check my mail down the street.
You let your one year old play in the yard unsupervised?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ok, I didn't read your whole story. Just looking at the title I can tell you that a landlord is supposed to give you at least 24 hours prior notice before coming on to your property. I don't know if it's just a few states or a federal thing but while you're renting, it's basically like your property and in CA at least, landlords have actually been arrested for trespassing.

Coming on the property, or entering the actual residence?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Who cares what the landlord did, I am more concerned that you allow a ONE YEAR OLD CHILD to go outside ALONE for any length of time especially when you are cooking and NOT WATCHING THIS CHILD. I don't care how large and fenced your yard is you NEVER leave a child that young unattended. You are lucky the landlord did not call child welfare on you for neglect.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Who cares what the landlord did, I am more concerned that you allow a ONE YEAR OLD CHILD to go outside ALONE for any length of time especially when you are cooking and NOT WATCHING THIS CHILD. I don't care how large and fenced your yard is you NEVER leave a child that young unattended. You are lucky the landlord did not call child welfare on you for neglect.
Good point. Sure you want to go the legal route?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM

If you are not going to respond about my question then get lost. Noone here saw who was there, were we can see him, what my husband was doing and so forth. And bottom line I have no care to explain to trolls on the Internet that jump to conclusions, which ive seen one too many times on any kind of forum, so really all of the ignorance of not REALLY knowing everything but what i described does not bother me So anyone with any information or knowledge please feel free to post here or PM me if you know about anything about a landlord entering your backyard. I know they must give 24 hours notice but I have found mixed answers about whether or not the backyard is included in that 24 hour notice. Any other comments about letting my son play in our backyard will be taking with a grain of salt and ignored

Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Coming on the property, or entering the actual residence?
And this is where I've found mixed answers. I couldn't seem to find anything clearly outlined that says the premises include any gated backyards. He did not enter our actual front door or inside the house, so there may not be any 24 hour notice for the backyard...not sure. Any insight on this topic is appreciated!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

I'm sorry I didn't see the links you posted at first. Thank you so much! I will look these up

Old 05-22-2013, 12:03 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedream11 View Post
And bottom line I have no care to explain to trolls on the Internet that jump to conclusions
No one that questioned your decision to let your one year old baby wander around a backyard unattended while you work in the kitchen and/or walk up the street is "trolling". You need to seriously re-read your original post and think about how it sounds to anyone you're trying to explain this to (and probably just let this matter go because your landlord, if he wished, could cause you all kinds of trouble).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting