Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,352,964 times

Advertisements

If the OP refuses to buy it, the LL will likely just take it away or call goodwill and have them come get it. So he might as well buy it.

I think people are being too paranoid about the old tennent showing up with guns blazing demanding his furniture back. While he did skip out on rent, that hardly makes him a hardened criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,649,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If the OP refuses to buy it, the LL will likely just take it away or call goodwill and have them come get it. So he might as well buy it.

I think people are being too paranoid about the old tennent showing up with guns blazing demanding his furniture back. While he did skip out on rent, that hardly makes him a hardened criminal.
The landlord is selling something that is not his. That is the bottom line. The OP would be an absolute fool to buy it.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,260,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readycarlos View Post
I recently looked at renting a room in a house in CA. The former tenant left their furniture. And since I don't have any furniture, the landlord offered to sell it to me.

The landlord tried to contact the former tenant by certified mail to pick up their things and pay back rent that was owed. But their certified letter was not claimed. Six months have lapsed since then.

The landlord doesn't have the time, money, or ability to move this into storage and then go through the auction process. And I would actually be doing them a favor by buying this stuff.

My question is: Can this landlord legally sell this furniture to me as an alternative to a public auction?
Be careful with this. I see these things on court T.V. all the time. I am sure that the court T.V. is mostly acting but the cases seem to be mostly like this one above. So far it seems that the landlord did his "due diligence" by sending the certified letter but I would be leary that there could perhaps be yet another thing he has to do. The last thing you want to happen is that you purchase the furniture and the former owner comes back looking for it..altho...it seems if the former renter owes back rent, he could very well be long gone by now. Don't assume anything until you talk to someone who knows this kind of law. Seems like a lot to go through for used furniture in one room??? No???

Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
The LL should just rent the room to you furnished. If the ex-teneant comes back for his furniture, you either give it up or pay him. Problem solved.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The LL should just rent the room to you furnished. If the ex-teneant comes back for his furniture, you either give it up or pay him. Problem solved.
No kidding! The whole issue here is that the landlord is being greedy and wants to sell the furniture instead of letting the OP use it for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting