Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
Question (for my own edification):

The landlord wouldn't be able to collect the entire 9 months from the OP, right? Doesn't the landlord have an obligation to try to re-rent the unit and then the OP would be responsible for the time it sat unrented?

I'm not defending the OP's breaking of the lease...just curious.

OR

The OP should be trying to find a renter that is suitable and therefore the landlord isn't missing out on rent??
Any reasonable landlord would probably work on getting another tenant in there but from what OP has posted so far, s/he is the unreasonable one so landlord is playing along. With tenant like OP, landlord is probably happy that this is coming out now than much later down the road. I know I would.

I actually came across a situation like this last month with one of my potential tenant. Signed the lease but bailed on me. I consider it a blessing and just found another tenant. Sure, I lost 1 month of rent because I didn't want to force the lease on them. It just not worth the aggrevation. It's better to lose a month than having the wrong tenant. I am a true believer of karma. They will get what they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Any reasonable landlord would probably work on getting another tenant in there but from what OP has posted so far, s/he is the unreasonable one so landlord is playing along. With tenant like OP, landlord is probably happy that this is coming out now than much later down the road. I know I would.

I actually came across a situation like this last month with one of my potential tenant. Signed the lease but bailed on me. I consider it a blessing and just found another tenant. Sure, I lost 1 month of rent because I didn't want to force the lease on them. It just not worth the aggrevation. It's better to lose a month than having the wrong tenant. I am a true believer of karma. They will get what they deserve.
I'm a believer in small claims court.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkee View Post
The 2nd month if he does not agree we terminate the lease, we pay rent on time, we start move in. He does not have any legal grounds to deny us moving in. Then we will have to claim all our tenants rights. So many small things to fix. We expect the apt to be in perfect living condition, the faucet could be broken, toileting is leaking, air conditioning leaking, heating does not work. It could even have bugs, mold, all these little or not little things. If not too serious, we could have lived with and minimize his cost previously, like we do with our previous landlords, now we are expecting him to fix everything on time legally. And these common nuisances, could happen constantly, and probably will, and we will not hesitate in a bit demanding him to fix it on the legal time limit, to the legal perfection point. In the end, he would know it is not a good idea to force unhappy people live there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkee View Post
Yes, walk through is done, does that mean the faucet will not break later on? Our state law clearly states this is LL's obligation. Bugs, molds, rodents, everything can happen before or later on. He is still liable for these maintenance by law. A walk-through does not free him from these obligations! Expect the city inspection office and disease control hot line be called, not just for our unit, it could be for any unit that does not meet state and city standards. Lots of things in the apt can break during the normal wear and use process, and he is responsible by the law. In the end, he might wish we never moved in.
Can you say "Blackmail" boys and girls?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, can I summarize? You signed an agreement. Then you decided that it was inconvenient for you to uphold that agreement. Because the other party is not willing to suck it up and lose money (because of your decisions and choices), you intend to make his life a living hell?
^That^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
OP admitted that the walk-through went well and nothing is currently broken. Therefore, it sounds like he's threatening to blackmail his landlord by making false complaints and false reports to the health board. That's horrible, criminal and sleazy.

OP: You're the one being "unreasonable", not your landlord. He's only enforcing the contract you WILLINGLY signed. Time to act like an adult and fulfill your agreement.
^and That too^

Who has morals like that? You signed a lease (a legally binding contract)! You cannot up and decide that it's not convenient for you to fulfill the legally binding contract you signed without thinking you will have to pay penalties. Quit calling your LL "unreasonable"...he is the one that is in the right here. Try calling him and apologizing for the childish way you've come across and ask him what penalties you need to pay to get out of the lease.

I would bet, if you added a #3 to your post, things might work out...
Option #3: I send landlord a certified letter stating our desire to be free from our lease and would like to discuss early termination terms (OP - you should use this term, memorize this phrase, become friends with these three words...they are you best bets for getting out of your lease).

Getting out of ANY contract (lease) earlier than the terms listed on the contract will cost you money. Think of it as your punishment for making the choice to sign the lease and then accepting a new job, knowing that you wouldn't want to fulfill the lease. Your landlord shouldn't be the one getting punished...he didn't make the decision to take a job away from the apartment you agreed to pay him for.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
You still didn't answer the question of when you are supposed to move in? If it's not till July 1st I'd just take my chances, if you aren't even in the state I see a landlord just trying to find a new tenant instead of going to the trouble of suing. I think a judge would also agree if the landlord had plenty of time why didn't they just continue to look?

NOW if the landlord looked, and didn't find someone until August 1, then yeah you'd be liable for July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting