Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, our toilet started leaking water from the bottom at the floor. I immediately informed my property manager by email. She ignored me for almost 24 hours. Then we called the landlord. He came out and said we just needed a new ring, but he couldn't get one until the next afternoon (it was 4 pm). He came out the next day and replaced the ring. The toilet stopped leaking water and just backed up. He told me that it was my responsibility to fix it because my son must have flushed something down the drain and left. This was after he plunged my sink and found rocks and soil coming up.

Btw, my lease states that all plumbing and drains are the responsibility of the owner.

We called a plumber, and he immediately told us that it was the main line. We called the landlord back and he said that we could hire the plumber and if the plumber said that we didn't clog the line, we could take the charge out of the rent. Immediately after that, the property manager calls and tells us that we need to use a specific plumber that will only charge $89.

This worried me, because I was kinda suspicious that they were just referring a plumber they knew who would say whatever they wanted them to say...like they found a kids toy in the main line.

Our plumber couldn't come out until the next afternoon, and the landlord came by and told us we needed to use his plumber. I had gone almost three days without a toilet at this point, so I just conceded and let him use his plumber. He said he would pay the bill. The property manager emailed me and told me they would take care of the bill, because she said other apartment's had backed up drains as well.

Then the other day, I got a bill from them for $129 for the plumber. They say the plumber told them that he found baby wipes, hair, and carpet in the line! We do not use baby wipes and certainly do not have any carpet to flush. As far as hair, there was none coming up our sink when the landlord was plunging it. We have only lived here 6 months as well.

There was no inspection when the new landlord bought it about two months ago. The previous property management company was awesome.

When I google the property management name, there are at least 7 complaints online. The property manager has responded online to all of these complaints. In one response, she contradicted herself...meaning, she lied online, under her full name! She's that dishonest. LOL

Should we pay this bill and get on with it? Or consult a lawyer?

On another note, I informed them by email about a month ago that there is water leaking in through the wall and soaking the carpet in a bedroom. The landlord came out and caulked a little bit and left. The next time it rained, it did it again. I informed them in writing that the problem was not fixed, and they have done nothing yet. Every time it rains, the carpet is soaked. Could this be a health code violation?

Last edited by soanchorless; 06-02-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 03:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Attach to the bill the email from the property manager, as well as the highlighted portion of the lease that states that the owner is responsible for plumbing issues, and send it to the property manager. If you get any flak in response, call a lawyer.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Attach to the bill the email from the property manager, as well as the highlighted portion of the lease that states that the owner is responsible for plumbing issues, and send it to the property manager. If you get any flak in response, call a lawyer.
So even if we actually caused the clog (although we didn't), would the owner still be responsible?

Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
informed my property manager by email.
Is that how the lease tells you to inform the PM of problems?
I doubt it.

Quote:
There was no inspection when the new landlord bought it about two months ago.
The previous property management company was awesome.
How long have you been there?
Have you ever had sewer problems before?

Quote:
We called a plumber, and he immediately told us that it was the main line.
Immediately? Did he lay hands on it and divine the problem?
How about the snake or a scope?

Quote:
Then the other day, I got a bill from them for $129 for the plumber (you called).
They say the plumber told them that he found baby wipes, hair, and carpet in the line!
Should we pay this bill and get on with it?
Pretty much.

Sewer lines don't all of a sudden have problems.
You had been there some time with no problems until one day you did.
Bottom line is that 97.875% of backup issues are caused by the user.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:56 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Usually tenants are home when a plumber comes out there and will be present so hey can see what is going on.

We had a similar thing and the tenant called us to appologize that the plumber found a toy in the toilet and that was the cause and you can guess who paid for the repair.

The times things like this happen is very rare but we have it in our lease that the party causing it has to pay and most often is regular wear and tear and owners responsibility.

Specially in a case like this when yu don't trust it, you should be or have been present and even better have your camera of phone video ready if you don't trust the other party.

That the owner suggest his own plumber is normal since they may have a special cheaper rate.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is that how the lease tells you to inform the PM of problems?
I doubt it.
No. The new landlord bought this property two months ago and sent us a letter saying that all maintenance requests must be sent by email.

Quote:
How long have you been there?
Have you ever had sewer problems before?
6 months. And no. But new carpet was put in right before we moved, so maybe that's where the carpet came from?

Quote:
Immediately? Did he lay hands on it and divine the problem?
How about the snake or a scope?
No. But the plumber that came out did. He only worked on the main line.

Quote:
Pretty much.

Sewer lines don't all of a sudden have problems.
You had been there some time with no problems until one day you did.
Bottom line is that 97.875% of backup issues are caused by the user.
I understand that. But they told me that other apartments were having the same problem. How can they know that it was my apartment causing the clog? Like I said, I don't use baby wipes or flush carpet down the drain.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Tenants flush condoms, tampons, baby wipes, paper towels, hair, cat litter and God knows what else down their loo and are shocked when it backs up and they have to pay for it.

Many landlords clearly state in their lease that is any of the above mentioned items cause a problem, the tenant is footing the bill...lock, stock and barrel. (And they should!!)

Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times
About 6 months after a family with a baby moved out, all 3 units toilets in all 3 units of my triplex backed up. The plumber said it was baby wipes in the main line that caused the problem. Since they don't break down, it can take months for the problem to manifest.

OP: if multiple units share the same line, there is no way you can be held responsible.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
About 6 months after a family with a baby moved out, all 3 units toilets in all 3 units of my triplex backed up. The plumber said it was baby wipes in the main line that caused the problem. Since they don't break down, it can take months for the problem to manifest.

OP: if multiple units share the same line, there is no way you can be held responsible.
Thanks for the help!

Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post

True...if it's an apartment building, it's hard to say who flushed what. It's a crap shoot...ok, bad joke, but couldn't resist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting