Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,128,528 times

Advertisements

Ditto on what Ira said. I recently listed a home with a rented manufactured home on the property. We put in the listing remarks that the rental will only be shown when an offer is in place to reduce the amount of showings for the tenant. This did not hurt the sale. The first offer went through and we're pending. The tenant only had one showing to deal with and her lease will be honored by the new owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,428,436 times
Perhaps they need to hire a crew to do some of the neglected yard work?

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,350,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
Perhaps they need to hire a crew to do some of the neglected yard work?
I agree. The OP could end up staying there for a long time, so cooperating with showing the place seems like a good idea. But, it also seems unfair to expect a pregnant woman to do extensive yardwork.

Present it as a compromise. We'll be nice about showing the place, but you'll need to hire someone to do the yardwork. And, we'll have the house clean, but only with reasonable notice.

It really is amazing how you can diffuse a situation by using honey and reasonableness, and even end up getting a good deal for yourself in the end. I negotiated with some REALLY angry tenants over the weekend. I stayed nice and understanding, but firm on a few issues, and they ended up calming down and happy with the compromise.

I know this is a pain since you're pregnant, and I'm not discounting your right to be frustrated or angry. But, I think if you take a deep breath and compromise with the LL, you could end up living there happily for a long time. It sounds like a great place to raise a family.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM

And OP, while the neglect might be obvious that it is long standing, it's probably looking worse since it's spring. If their eyesight isn't great, they maybe truly did overlook much of it before, add in winter dorminancy and even snow potentially hiding things...

Hopefully they'll be reasonable.

What year was the mobile home made, just out of curiosity?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 65,531 times
Well, I finally got to see my landlord today. I talked to her and let her know all my concerns. I told her how we were upset about what she and her husband said about the yard. I told her everything that we have done so far, and she told me that she really didn't know that there was so much, and she wished that her insurance company had actually fixed up some storm damage.

I told her that I would rather move than deal with showing the house, and she reassured me that I wouldn't have to do that. At first she had told me I would have to a week ago, but overtime she came to the conclusion that was unfair, and since they don't NEED the money, as they pay cash for all their homes, she would wait until our lease was nearly over to sell the home.

I just feel so relieved.

I pitched the idea of letting my husband and I subdivide the house so we can purchase the land and the home we live in, and she said that if we were willing to pay to do that, when the time comes, she would be willing to let us do that. So, I have at least 8 months before I have to worry about it.

Thank you everyone for your help.

As far as the yard goes, I let her know, we don't mind doing yardwork, but if we end up not staying here, then the extensive portion needs to be done by a professional.

I told her we don't mind mowing and taking care of the fruit trees and picking up what we can. There's alot to do with the trees, Lot's of trimming and grooming, etc, and that our main project would be to get the fruit trees where they should be (After years of neglect), and mowing, and cutting up fallen trees. Beyond that, no more, and we would do it in the time that we can.

I think we found the fair zone, and I'm thankful my landlord is well off and doesn't have to sell right away. Thank goodness.

The year? I think she said 1970 something. It's well maintained though, and we love our home. If we can save up enough to get this half of the property, we intend to!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naniminna View Post
Well, I finally got to see my landlord today. I talked to her and let her know all my concerns. I told her how we were upset about what she and her husband said about the yard. I told her everything that we have done so far, and she told me that she really didn't know that there was so much, and she wished that her insurance company had actually fixed up some storm damage.

I told her that I would rather move than deal with showing the house, and she reassured me that I wouldn't have to do that. At first she had told me I would have to a week ago, but overtime she came to the conclusion that was unfair, and since they don't NEED the money, as they pay cash for all their homes, she would wait until our lease was nearly over to sell the home.

I just feel so relieved.

I pitched the idea of letting my husband and I subdivide the house so we can purchase the land and the home we live in, and she said that if we were willing to pay to do that, when the time comes, she would be willing to let us do that. So, I have at least 8 months before I have to worry about it.

Thank you everyone for your help.

As far as the yard goes, I let her know, we don't mind doing yardwork, but if we end up not staying here, then the extensive portion needs to be done by a professional.

I told her we don't mind mowing and taking care of the fruit trees and picking up what we can. There's alot to do with the trees, Lot's of trimming and grooming, etc, and that our main project would be to get the fruit trees where they should be (After years of neglect), and mowing, and cutting up fallen trees. Beyond that, no more, and we would do it in the time that we can.

I think we found the fair zone, and I'm thankful my landlord is well off and doesn't have to sell right away. Thank goodness.

The year? I think she said 1970 something. It's well maintained though, and we love our home. If we can save up enough to get this half of the property, we intend to!
Good to see every somewhat contentious situation that comes up doesn't have to end up being a legal battle.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,350,332 times
Yay! Good on you for negotiating a fair outcome.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 PM

45,062 posts, read 60,120,172 times
OP, a note or two about subdividing a property.

Find out now whether it's allowed, don't wait for 7 1/2 months. The minimum lot size requirements may have changed since the property was developed and it may be now a non-conforming use to have two residences on the current lot. It would now be what is called "grandfathered" and is allowed as long as the current owners own it but the entire parcel may have to be sold if it changes hands.

Following on the above, if a subdivision is allowed then get the ball rolling now. See my next statement.

Get this proposed agreement in writing NOW. Don't wait, she might change her mind.

Zoning laws are different everywhere.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,741,888 times
Its a legally binding contract neither you nor they can break it unless provisions have been stated in the contract or you both come to a agreement to meet at breaking the contract. But one side cannot decide to void your contract unless a breach has occured. Otherwise, contracts would be useless. I've lived in apartment buildings that have been sold and resold many times. The contract carries over to the next purchaser of property. I may be wrong on some of this, but a contract is still a contract.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM

Make sure you have enough fire extinguishers on hand since fires in manufactured homes are very dangerous and research the air quality of older manufactured homes before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting