Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Just want to mention property changes hands all the time and tenants often are the last to know...

Everything goes back to the contract and applicable laws.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
First off, deep breath. This is an awesome time for you. You are going to have another baby!!! Congrats!!!

So, when the place is sold the new buyer not only buys the property, they buy the lease. They have to follow it. So don't worry, you are not being kicked out.

When your lease is up the new owner can then say you have to leave or they may want you to stay. That is up to them and you. Who knows what will happen in a year.

They could also offer you money to let THEM out of your lease. I have seen this more often. The seller offers x amount and you give them permission to get rid of the lease. You won't make a ton of cash, but it will be enough to move to another place including deposits, moving company, lost wages because your husband has to take off work to move, etc...

The most important thing to do is keep you and that baby healthy. The law is on your side.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,549 times
Can my landlord sell the property if I don't have a lease agreement. Also, what are my obligations in terms to cooperate with the showings of the apartment.
I have been a tandant for the last four years and always paid my rent on time.
What are the laws for chicago.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
I'm only going to pick one of the OP's statements for now. "Legally I know how difficult I can make it for them to show their house. "

Your obligations are written in your lease.

My dear, legally you cannot make it difficult to show. You can choose to be a difficult person, true, but the law will certainly not be on your side.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Jonson 6833 View Post
Can my landlord sell the property if I don't have a lease agreement. Also, what are my obligations in terms to cooperate with the showings of the apartment.
I have been a tandant for the last four years and always paid my rent on time.
What are the laws for chicago.
Your landlord can sell the property whether you have a lease or not. I don't believe that Chicago/IL has a set statute addressing the question of notice (common in many states and usually 24 hours) but have you spoken to your landlord about this and asked to be given advance notice of showings? This is certainly not an unreasonable request and it would be legally upheld in any court, specific statute or not. In my opinion you can certainly deny entry within reason if, for instance, someone comes knocking on the door wanting to show the unit when you're in the middle of doing something. If any agents (or your LL) are using a key to enter when you're home you could install a simple chain guard on the door. Talk to your landlord.

If the property is sold, your rental agreement has to be honored by the new owner so, on a month to month without a lease, you can (if the new owner decides not to keep you as a tenant) be given notice in accordance with state law.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
KonaKat, it appears this thread was resurrected with a new question immediately above your reply.

To new questionner, Linda Jonson, the advice STT Resident has given you is what I would have said.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 501 times
I am in a rental and we just moved in in November. Landlord just tells me this month she needs to sale. Well our deal was we would stay a year and a half and buy it. We do have an agreement but through text messages. I know that should have been my first big no. She is buying through the usda and found out she is really far behind. But in order for her to get her section 8 in another city she has to sale now. I went to usda to see if we could take over had papers filled out and told them I already live there I am renting. Witch is very illegal on her part. They gave me a number to call about this so I did so. Talked to someone gave them my number. Don't know what's gonna happen there. But she said her sister is gonna show the house to people. So my question is how long of a notice do I need by them to let them show the house. She thinks she can just do it at any time. What are my rights. I know I am pretty much screwed but do I have any rights?

Old 02-01-2017, 04:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda45050 View Post
I am in a rental and we just moved in in November. Landlord just tells me this month she needs to sale. Well our deal was we would stay a year and a half and buy it. We do have an agreement but through text messages. I know that should have been my first big no. She is buying through the usda and found out she is really far behind. But in order for her to get her section 8 in another city she has to sale now. I went to usda to see if we could take over had papers filled out and told them I already live there I am renting. Witch is very illegal on her part. They gave me a number to call about this so I did so. Talked to someone gave them my number. Don't know what's gonna happen there. But she said her sister is gonna show the house to people. So my question is how long of a notice do I need by them to let them show the house. She thinks she can just do it at any time. What are my rights. I know I am pretty much screwed but do I have any rights?
Generally, 12-24 hour notice is all they are required to give you to enter your unit.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
3 issues:

1. It's sell the house, hold a sale. SELL is the verb, an action; sale is a thing/noun;

2. Without info on your state, and city in some cases, no one can tell you exactly what the law is regarding notice; and

3. Some states (another reason for supplying that info) allow text messages as "writing" - proof of intent, even a contract. So your option to buy may, in fact, be binding. You need to contact a lawyer, whether through legal aid or a low-cost initial consultation through your local bar association Lawyer Referral Service or even a 3rd year law student through a local law school (university). Again, without your location, I cannot give you more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting