Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 13,786 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a new college graduate without any renting experience so bear with me. I emailed an apartment posting and I asked to see the apartment in the next few days. However, the person replied that the last showing was yesterday and that it would be best for me to fill out an application, pay for the first month's rent and have a deposit to the property manager's account because the apartment may not be available when the next showing time comes around.

The whole thing seems a bit fishy as the listing does not have the specific apartment number, just the address of the apartment. Finally, the number was a pinger number so I could not actually reach the person by phone. What should I do in this circumstance? Is this obviously a scam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 04:12 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Did you happen to find this on Craig's List? There are a lot of scams for rentals ( and other things) on Craig's List and I believe this is one of them

Why don't you call some local property managers? They will be able to show you their rentals and help you thru the whole rental process. Or you can look at some the corporate owned complexes.

Good luck in your search, just be careful..if it sounds to good to be true it is.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
This is full of red flags. Do not ever send money for a place that you have not been inside. EVER!
I personally do not trust Social media sites for renting. You should look through the local paper, or look up rental agency's in your local phone book. Otherwise you could be a victim of a scam. And, once you send your money in you are SOL.
Deal with realtor/mgt people that have offices and show you the apartments in person. Be careful. and, you might even check with your local law enforcement, they like to catch these scammers.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:29 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
no way. never.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 13,786 times
Thanks everyone. It seemed too good to be true. I reported it on Hotpads.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Trust your gut. Read the scam link on Craigslist.

I personally have no problem with Craigslist. The good scammers will be on every site anyway, even paid advertising sites. You just need to use common sense and you'll be fine.

Here's the Craigslist scam page:

craigslist | about > scams

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Hmm, smells like a SCAAAAAMMMM!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't know whether it is a scam or not, but I can tell that if they are genuine, they are people you don't want to rent from. The customer service is totally lacking and before you rent is when customer service is at its very best. No service before renting means total lack of service after renting.

Move on to the next building and a different landlord or different management company.

Personally, I would never rent a unit I had not seen, and I want lots of paperwork before I hand over any money.

Some big apartment buildings keep a display unit to show and then you get the next available unit. That's not a scam, but many tenants are disappointed when they find that the paint, carpet, and decorating touches are not the same quality as what they were shown.

Protect yourself. Everything in writing and see what you will be getting.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I found this article. This is the type scenario everyone is trying to warn you about. The Daily Dot - Craigslist scam leaves family of 4 homeless

Last edited by JanND; 06-11-2013 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I found this article. This is the type scenario everyone is trying to warn you about. The Daily Dot - Craigslist scam leaves family of 4 homeless
I'll admit I only read the first sentence of that article.

"A woman who sent her rent check to a realtor in Nigeria is now homeless and trying to avoid living out of her car."

And I'd argue that it was this person's stupidity, and not a craiglist scam that left them homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting