Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldanzi View Post
Tenant was given 90 day notice to vacate by June 30, 2013
Tenant (says that they) can't vacate until July 21, 2013.

It's July 3 now and I have not recieved rent for July.
Rent is due by July, then I can serve 3 day notice.

Tenant wants rent to be pro rated for the 10 days
Do I have to pro rate the 10 days remaining in July?
1) The tenant should have paid the ENTIRE July rent on time.
2) Once out... a rebate for unused days might be considered; NOT an in advance prorating.

Bottom line: Have you ever played "chicken" before now? LINK
How much security deposit are you holding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 04:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I let tenants pro-rate, especially if I just want them out.

What struck me here, though, is the $700 rent discount you gave them. If you did that so they'd be out by June 30, they sure aren't entitled to that anymore. I'd take that out of the deposit, as unpaid rent.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaldanzi View Post
Tenant was given 90 day notice to vacate by June 30, 2013, and given a $ 700. rental discount on month of May. Tenant did not vacate by June 30, 2013. Tenant can't vacate until July 21, 2013. Tenant wants rent to be pro rated for the 10 days
remaining in July. It's July 3 now and I have not recieved rent for July. Rent is due by July, then I can serve 3 day notice.
She is on month to month rental agreement. Do I have to pro rate the 10 days remaining in July?
Why would you give her a rental discount then allow her to hold over the place for an additional 2 months?

Does your lease (the one she had been in since she in MTM) say she can move any day she chooses for her move out after providing proper notice or does it state only the last day of the month? If it is any day she decided on then you should only charge her a prorated amount for July. Of coarse this is if she does not skip out on you before you collect the July rent...If she does, it should be reported on her credit as owing money to a LL

Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You're staying for two days on a month to month lease..do you know what the rent is on a month to month for your unit? I'm guessing they are using that new month to month rental rate to figure our your two days, but $790 for two days is a bit much. I'm not understanding why they are charging you for 10 days if you're only staying two days over?

I know that if I allow my lease to go to a month to month by rent will increase by $350 a month....I understand that's the norm, but damn, that's a mighty big increase.
Seems confusing. You said 2 days over puts you at the 8th?
Could they be thinking your rent was dues the first?? You did mention on move in it was prorated.
Do what the previous poster suggested, call them.
You could list your points on paper....Then no mater if things are resolved ot not..send a letter something you can document.
Hope it works out. Jannd

Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 PM

625 posts, read 952,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
Hello,

I have been living at my current place for nearly 2 years, and it will be 2 years when I move out in August. I just gave them my notice (the required 60 days + 2 extra). I am moving out exactly 2 days after my current lease expires. I have done everything they require. Here is my issue.

I just got my final "prorated rent" and they want me to pay $759 for 10 days!! First, my monthly rent is $1191. So all I can figure is that they are charging me prorated month-to-month rent. HOWEVER, I don't think that's legal to do so except on the 2 days past my lease end date which is the 8th. If that's not what they're doing then they are charging me an arm and a leg for each of those 2 extra days.

I'm going to call them this morning to talk this through, however I needed to tell my story somewhere else first because otherwise I think I may blow up on them on the phone.

So please, someone here tell me, am I thinking about this correctly or am I in the wrong here?

An additional note, my rent was prorated at move in as well at my lease rate *not* at the month-to-month rate. So, if these lease days had been added on to that partial month instead of at the end of my lease, they would have been prorated at my lease rate.

Additionally I have checked my lease, and it states that they cannot increase the rent in my lease until the end of it without my consent. It also says it does not become month-to-month until the final day of my lease.

OMG Your rent is $1191!!!! OMG What state do you live in? I have rented apartments for 10 years ever since I started working at my current full-time job. I rented a one bedroom for $590/month for 5 years, I rented a two bedroom and a den for $655/month for one year, then I rented a two bedroom apartment for $610/month for two years, and I rented a two bedroom for $595 for a year and two months. I just moved into a large one bedroom apartment earlier this year for $450/month which is privately owned and I currently live here. My current apartment is the best deal for an apartment that I have ever rented. I don't regret moving out of my parents' house and into an apartment. My regret which ruminates in my mind to this day is renting those previous apartments for $600/month because if I had lived at my current apartment from the beginning, I would have saved $150/month for 10 years!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
OMG Your rent is $1191!!!! OMG What state do you live in? I have rented apartments for 10 years ever since I started working at my current full-time job. I rented a one bedroom for $590/month for 5 years, I rented a two bedroom and a den for $655/month for one year, then I rented a two bedroom apartment for $610/month for two years, and I rented a two bedroom for $595 for a year and two months. I just moved into a large one bedroom apartment earlier this year for $450/month which is privately owned and I currently live here. My current apartment is the best deal for an apartment that I have ever rented. I don't regret moving out of my parents' house and into an apartment. My regret which ruminates in my mind to this day is renting those previous apartments for $600/month because if I had lived at my current apartment from the beginning, I would have saved $150/month for 10 years!

LOL! It's all relative. Normally, the salaries offset the rents in most areas. You get more for your buck in some areas, but normally, if you get paid great, you pay higher rent. And vice versa.

BTW, rents go up and down depending on the market. When the market crashed, I had to lower rents. But, now that the market is back up, they're through the roof. So, you can't second guess what your rent would have been in a different apartment.

This is where buying a house pays off. That mortgage stays the same, as long as you're smart enough to get a fixed rate. And in CA, your property taxes are going to stay predictabe, too, because of Prop 13.

Where do you live? Where is it so cheap? What do you do for a living? My curiosity is piqued. (sp?)

Old 08-03-2014, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
Hi I have a question we been living at this one apartment for years we lived in a two bedroom... We transfer to a one bedroom in the same complex Never had late payment or problems... since we moved into our one bedroom WE gave them our 20 day notice everything by the book ... Now they first told me I can move out on the 20th ... then on the 29th than on the 21st went too see what was goin on cause they said someone will be moving into our place at end of the month SO WE MOVED OUT ON THE 21ST INSTEAD OF THE 29TH so we already paid our rent that same month before it end so we move 10 days early so my question should we get a prorate for the days we didn't live at our old place or what confused!!! need help old apt deposit was 250.00 the new deposit is 400.00 old apartment rent was 895 & 95 together for water @sewer Garbage the new apt is 825 plus water seprated now.. One more thing the complex under new owners so they are up grading my apartment like everyone else when they move out so will we get charge for that...

Last edited by confused 48; 08-03-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused 48 View Post
Hi I have a question we been living at this one apartment for years we lived in a two bedroom... We transfer to a one bedroom in the same complex Never had late payment or problems... since we moved into our one bedroom WE gave them our 20 day notice everything by the book ... Now they first told me I can move out on the 20th ... then on the 29th than on the 21st went too see what was goin on cause they said someone will be moving into our place at end of the month SO WE MOVED OUT ON THE 21ST INSTEAD OF THE 29TH so we already paid our rent that same month before it end so we move 10 days early so my question should we get a prorate for the days we didn't live at our old place or what confused!!! need help old apt deposit was 250.00 the new deposit is 400.00 old apartment rent was 895 & 95 together for water @sewer Garbage the new apt is 825 plus water seprated now.. One more thing the complex under new owners so they are up grading my apartment like everyone else when they move out so will we get charge for that...
Try rewriting this using full sentences and paragraphs. Right now, it is just a stream of consciousness, and I have no idea what happened or even what your questions are.

You said you have already moved into the new apartment, and are giving notice for that new apartment?

You were moving within the same complex, and moved early at their behest, but want them to prorate your rent at the old apartment and not charge any rent at the new apartment? It sounds like they just charged you the old rate for the whole month, so what were the old rates and the new rate?

I have no idea what you are asking on the deposit and utilities, I don't see a question in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting