Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Look that is the only issue I had since i moved in last week. I love the look of the bathroom walls, the kitchen, and the refrigerator which is nice big size. The things I don't like are very minor

1. I have to put the key in the door everyday to lock it

2. No door separating the kitchen which makes the AC works harder

3. The kitchen floor is white and i prefer that it be a darker color

4. The bathroom floor is white and I prefer that it be a darker color

5. I can always hear when someone comes in and out of the front door since I;m on the 1st floor

But overall I am happy with the place and neighborhood.
Not really happy if you can name 5 things you have issues with right off the bat...issues that you knew BEFORE you signed the lease...so really you have no right to complain to anyone other than yourself.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Go to Wal-Mart...... go to the paint, tools, lightbulb area..... pay $5 for an extra long pole for changing you light bulbs. STOP GIVING TENANTS a Bad name & Grow up and quit cussing us for your laziness!!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Hey, how many op's does it take to change a lightbulb?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Look that is the only issue I had since i moved in last week. I love the look of the bathroom walls, the kitchen, and the refrigerator which is nice big size. The things I don't like are very minor

1. I have to put the key in the door everyday to lock it

2. No door separating the kitchen which makes the AC works harder

3. The kitchen floor is white and i prefer that it be a darker color

4. The bathroom floor is white and I prefer that it be a darker color

5. I can always hear when someone comes in and out of the front door since I;m on the 1st floor

But overall I am happy with the place and neighborhood.
Yes the AC will be working harder with that baking you plan on doing as soon as the LL replaces the knob.

Spoiler
Watch for TVSG next season on Hell's Kitchen.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Yes the AC will be working harder with that baking you plan on doing as soon as the LL replaces the knob.

Spoiler

The Knob has already been replaced.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post

Spoiler

I wonder if he's on Pinterest? Lots of great recipes and ideas there.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:48 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
WestPhillyDude75 have seen you here on different post. always crying about kids playing and now this . you do not seem to be a good fit to be a renter

Old 06-15-2013, 11:58 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Westphillydude stick to your guns and get the LL to replace the knob on the stove.
This could be a huge issue...if the knob is so used and worn that the numbers are rubbed off,
chances are the stove is old and could malfunction. Major safety/fire issue. I for one would have had him replace it yesterday. No money comes out of my pocket for maintenance of apts.
Koale
It's the end of the world! I can't read my oven knob therefore I need a brand new stove or the place will blow up!

I think the landlord is a terrorist!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
If i don't have a ladder then how the hell can I change the light bulb? Didn't you hear me say I have HIGH CEILINGS?????

All I would need is the ladder to do it myself.
In most states a landlord has no legal obligation to change light bulbs or perform many minor maintenance tasks unless they are a health and life safety issue.

For example this is what is required in Texas.

Quote:
Austin Tenants’ Council/Repairs: The Tenant’s Right and the Landlord’s Duty
Tenants have the right to have any condition that threatens their health or safety repaired. Subchapter B of Chapter 92 of the Texas Property Code (§92.051 – §92.061), describes the process a tenant must follow to enforce repair rights and provides specific remedies for a tenant if the landlord refuses to make the repairs. By giving the proper notices, a tenant can obtain repair remedies as soon as legally possible. Those remedies, described below, depend on the repair problem.
Conditions requiring repair fall into two categories: ones that threaten the health or safety of an ordinary tenant and ones that do not. An example of a repair that is not a threat to health or safety is a dishwasher or garbage disposal that does not work properly and is not dangerous in some other way.
For tenants living anywhere in Texas, the landlord must provide:
  1. A dwelling that is decent, safe, and sanitary;
  2. Repairs of conditions that threaten the health or safety of an ordinary tenant;
  3. A device in good working condition to supply hot water of a minimum temperature of 120° Fahrenheit;
  4. Smoke detectors; and
  5. Secure locks on all doors and windows.
The Austin Housing Code specifically requires that all residential dwellings in the city of Austin have:
  1. Heating facilities capable of maintaining a room temperature of 70° Fahrenheit;
  2. Hot water supplied to plumbing fixtures at a temperature of not less than 110° Fahrenheit; and
  3. A kitchen sink, a shower or bathtub, a toilet, and hot and cold water.
Numbers worn off of an oven knob and burned out lightbulbs rarely rise to the level of a threat to health or safety. That does not mean some landlords would not correct these problems, even though they have no legal obligation to do so. I might replace the oven knob if I could find one, or buy the tenant an oven thermometer, but I'm not about to replace light bulbs for them.

Actually I did replace a lightbulb once, when a tenant claimed the light fixture had stopped working. I took a new light bulb with me to check it, and since I already had it there screwed in when I tested the fixture, I gave it to them. Although I should have charged them for a service call since there was nothing wrong with the fixture.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
I don't think asking to replace an oven knob that is unreadable is a silly request. However, if you have an issue with the color of the floors or the lack of a door to the kitchen, that is something you knew before you moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting