U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,103,701 times

Advertisements

Hello, so last month we had an irrigation line break in our driveway. It overwhelmed the yard and made its way into our rental house. We notified the owner the same day. He sat on it until the irrigation happened again. The flooding this time was 10 times as bad. You see, we didn't know that the irrigation line broke the first time. We just came home and seen water in the house. But the second time this happened my girlfriend was here and seen the spot where the breakage is (underground and the water was boiling out of the bricks in the driveway).

The owner came out and looked at all the damage and we noticed that the drywall baseboards were bowed out, puffed out. He brought some people in today and when they peeled back the baseboards in the house, there is black mold EVERYWHERE! About 3 weeks ago I started complaining about bad headaches every day. Come find there is black mold lining both walls where the flooding was. So far, we haven't heard anything from the owner of the house. When the drywall guy peeled the baseboards away, there is this overpowering smell of mildew to the point its almost choking us. Should I ask the LL to put us up in a motel until this is dealt with?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM

1,621 posts, read 3,654,777 times
i think he may have to. the place is uninhabitable. But check with your local laws on mold. In the mean time, get out! even if it costs you. Your health is more important

Old 06-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
i think he may have to. the place is uninhabitable. But check with your local laws on mold. In the mean time, get out! even if it costs you. Your health is more important
I wish it were that easy to just leave. But I've got pets that I can't leave here. And besides, my girlfriend was let go last month from her job, and we are barely making ends meet as it is. So if the landlord doesn't want to put us up in a motel till all the work is completed, we foot the bill and psy for a motel we just cannot afford. If the LL offers to put us in a motel, we will accept, but I can't force him to do so without the ugly business of threatening court actions.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM

16,141 posts, read 22,621,273 times
Call the health department. Get to an attorney. You really should be out of there asap. It can be a life threatening situation.
The health department should be able to tell you.
Maybe call your local Salvation Army...they may have assistance, this is an emergency. your LL should have told you about the first break....I'm sorry that you are going through this. Here are some very educational, and important links. Please review all of them. I hope you find some immediate help.
CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/toxic...poisoning.html
Here are some links: http://toxic-black-mold-info.com/
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...&va=black+mold

Last edited by JanND; 06-13-2013 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Call the health department. Get to an attorney. You really should be out of there asap. It can be a life threatening situation.
Maybe call your local Salvation Army...they may have assistance, this is an emergency. your LL should have told you about the first break....I'm sorry that you are going through this. Here are some very educational, and important links. Please review all of them. I hope you find some immediate help.
CDC: CDC - Mold - General Information: Facts about Stachybotrys chartarum and Other Molds
Toxic Black Mold: Symptoms of Black Mold Poisoning
Here are some links: toxic black mold information center
black mold - Yahoo! Image Search Results
OK, thank you for the links.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 AM

8,781 posts, read 8,406,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
CDC: CDC - Mold - General Information: Facts about Stachybotrys chartarum and Other Molds
Toxic Black Mold: Symptoms of Black Mold Poisoning
Here are some links: toxic black mold information center
black mold - Yahoo! Image Search Results

all this. my wife put up with it thinking there was no harm to her since it was in a segregated section of her building and to this day after living in that place she can no longer risk going places without an inhaler in her pocket....dont risk your health, take action

if it was me i would have it treated immediately and have the LL or management billed. if they wanted to fight me on it off to a tribunal/courtroom we go with all my gathered information in hand

Old 06-14-2013, 02:10 PM

27,876 posts, read 37,801,224 times
Slow down. Most mold is black in color and most of it is harmless. The toxic black mold is relatively rare.

The landlord is already evaluating the situation. OP, ask to be moved until it is remedied. It doesn't hurt to ask, and the landlord might do it. No reason to turn it into a fight at this point.

If he refuses, at that point you start to consider other options.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,010,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Slow down. Most mold is black in color and most of it is harmless. The toxic black mold is relatively rare.

The landlord is already evaluating the situation. OP, ask to be moved until it is remedied. It doesn't hurt to ask, and the landlord might do it. No reason to turn it into a fight at this point.

If he refuses, at that point you start to consider other options.
I was just going to say the same thing. I'm quoting this only to emphasize that most of the previous alarmist posts are way over exaggerating the risks. I am allergic to mold, but have never felt that it was life threatening.

You can ask the landlord to put you up in a motel, but he probably has no legal obligation to do so. If pressed he could offer to let you out of your lease, but then you are on you own to find another place to live. The landlord does have an obligation to fix the problem if it threatens your health or safety. But a little mold on a few wall isn't likely to do that.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 PM

18,817 posts, read 28,184,215 times
I was going to suggest having a mold test done to determine if it's the health threatening variety.

Either way, I think it's reasonable to ask for a rent abatement until this is resolved.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I was going to suggest having a mold test done to determine if it's the health threatening variety.

Either way, I think it's reasonable to ask for a rent abatement until this is resolved.
Yea my girlfriend has been feeling sick from it. Tomorrow the drywall comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting