U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 AM

33,081 posts, read 77,611,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Two months plus the one month security deposit that I will forfeit seems awfully fair to me.
It was a MORE than fair offer to settle the contract.
And as such (and as the attorney will advise you)... you really shouldn't have any serious worries.

The only question I see is whether the LL gets another chance at that generosity.
Or at least without having to fight for it.

The balance of rent paid for the month you'll be moving and the SD ...
should be MORE THAN enough cash to cover him until he gets a new tenant.

Beyond that? He'll have to demonstrate a genuinely diligent (2013) effort to re-let.
On that point... how did *you* find the apartment?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,698,767 times
[quote=MrRational;30249788]It was a MORE than fair offer to settle the contract.
And as such (and as the attorney will advise you)... you really shouldn't have any serious worries.

The only question I see is whether the LL gets another chance at that generosity.
Or at least without having to fight for it.

The balance of rent paid for the month you'll be moving and the SD ...
should be MORE THAN enough cash to cover him until he gets a new tenant.

Beyond that? He'll have to demonstrate a genuinely diligent (2013) effort to re-let.
On that point... how did *you* find the apartment?[/quote]

There was a handwritten sign posted on the house and I happened to be walking by. The house is gorgeous so I was excited and figured (correctly) that not a lot of other people would see such a small sign.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:43 AM

30,919 posts, read 42,518,058 times
You could talk to a lawyer, and if the landlord is not allowed to raise the rent when he is looking for a replacement tenant, the lawyer will send him a "back off Bozo" letter.

Whatever you do, do not sublet. You make yourself completely responsible for any damage done by your sub-tenant and you are still on the hook for any rent that they do not pay.

If you just move out without this being resolved, you risk having an eviction on your credit report and that will go a long ways towards ruining your life.

You signed a contract and you are legally bound to follow it.

By the way it makes absolutely zero difference what furniishngs the landlord has. He did not adopt you, promising to support you. What he did was rent you a unit with mutually agreed upon terms, which you no longer like.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You could talk to a lawyer, and if the landlord is not allowed to raise the rent when he is looking for a replacement tenant, the lawyer will send him a "back off Bozo" letter.

Whatever you do, do not sublet. You make yourself completely responsible for any damage done by your sub-tenant and you are still on the hook for any rent that they do not pay.

If you just move out without this being resolved, you risk having an eviction on your credit report and that will go a long ways towards ruining your life.

You signed a contract and you are legally bound to follow it.

By the way it makes absolutely zero difference what furniishngs the landlord has. He did not adopt you, promising to support you. What he did was rent you a unit with mutually agreed upon terms, which you no longer like.
Its not that I "don't like" the terms. I work for the federal government. I go where they tell me to go.

The lease only says that I forfeit the deposit if I vacate early. It does not stipulate that I have to find another tenant. It does not outline any other terms for breaking the lease such as an amount of money to buy the lease out. So as far as I am concerned, I owe my deposit. Period. I am trying to work with him and he is being greedy.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 AM

24,669 posts, read 67,015,199 times
Quote:

The lease only says that I forfeit the deposit if I vacate early. It does not stipulate that I have to find another tenant. It does not outline any other terms for breaking the lease such as an amount of money to buy the lease out.
You didn't mention this before but in fact said, "The lease has NO PROVISION for breaking it." It would be interesting to know in what context this forfeiture is mentioned and the exact wording as it could be interpreted to mean that in fact this IS the penalty for breaking the lease.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You didn't mention this before but in fact said, "The lease has NO PROVISION for breaking it." It would be interesting to know in what context this forfeiture is mentioned and the exact wording as it could be interpreted to mean that in fact this IS the penalty for breaking the lease.

Yes, I reviewed it again this morning. Let me grab it and I will quote for you.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 AM

6,951 posts, read 21,867,267 times
If you lose your deposit, wouldn't that be the equivalent to the 2 months' relocation allowance. Wouldn't you get reimbursed per the 2 months' clause? If that's the case, break your lease, lose your deposit and go after the employer relocation amount. Confer with the peeps in HR at your location about this.....

Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The lease only says that I forfeit the deposit if I vacate early.
aha! The plot thickens.

Quote:
So as far as I am concerned, I owe my deposit. Period.
And had you mentioned this detail 25 post back...
Chat means diddly. Written documents with signatures mean all.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Okay, here is what it says:

Security Deposit:

Nothwithstanding any other provisions expressed or implied herein, it is specifically understood and agrred that the entire security deposit shall be automatically forfeited as liquidated damages should the lessee abandon or vacate the premises before the expiration of the lease except where abandonment occurs during the last month of the term of the lease, lessee has paid all rent covering the entire term and either party has given the other timely written notice that this lease will not be renewed under its automatic renewal provisions.

Default or Abandoment:

Should the lessee fail to pay the rent or any other charges arising under this lease promptly as stipulated, should the premises be abdandoned (it being agreed that an absence of the lessee from the lease premises for five consecutive days after rentals become delinquent shall create a conclusive presumption for abandonment) by lessee or should lessee begin to remove furniture of any substantial portion of lessee's personal property to the detriment of the lessor's lien, or should voluntary bankruptcy proceedings be commenced against lessee, lessee shall ipso facto be in default and the rent for the whole of the unexpired term of the lease together with attorney's fees shall immediately become due.

So I *am* probably screwed.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Nothwithstanding any other provisions...
So I *am* probably screwed.
You're no more screwed than you were before this last round of chat.

a) you have a specifically understood obligation
b) the LL also has an unclear (pending research etc) obligation.

Research for what the common law on mitigation in NOLA is
and how the Courts there draw the common sense line in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting