U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 PM

6,107 posts, read 7,545,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I've dealt with hundreds of leases over many years and have never seen this stipulated in even one. There is legal provision for military personnel being deployed.
It happens. I had one like that once, and used that very clause to end the lease early with the proper notice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 AM

24,669 posts, read 67,019,519 times
^^^ I don't doubt you at all but it's highly unusual.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,698,767 times
A coworker of mine (also a federal employee) told me to get a clause written into leases in the future that allows to break without penalty if transferred in the interest of the federal government. She said that you can even get the legal dept in most activities to draw up a standard letter stating that you may be required to leave. I had no idea. I wish I had known! I don't think that LLs in New Orleans are used to dealing with feds or military as much as in other places I have lived. I have moved tons of times for work, and never had this issue or anything close to it.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
A coworker of mine (also a federal employee) told me to get a clause written into leases in the future that allows to break without penalty if transferred in the interest of the federal government. She said that you can even get the legal dept in most activities to draw up a standard letter stating that you may be required to leave. I had no idea. I wish I had known! I don't think that LLs in New Orleans are used to dealing with feds or military as much as in other places I have lived. I have moved tons of times for work, and never had this issue or anything close to it.
If you can persuade the LL to agree to such a clause then that would work for you. But, unlike the military deployment situation which is mandated by Federal law, such a clause is at the option of the individual LL and you can't rely on it being agreed to.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,698,767 times
Being transferred for work when functions disappear, large reductions in force happen and military bases are closed or realigned (if you work for DoD as a civilian) ARE mandated by Title 5 USC. Military activity mostly falls under Title 38 USC. Both are federal laws. Civilians can also be deployed. DoD has an expeditionary workforce of civilian personnel who go into danger zones.

I think there is widespread misunderstanding about what it means to be a civil servant. If the government tells you you are going somewhere, you have zero choice but to go or quit. When I lived in DC, because there were so many people who worked for the fed, there was a lot more awareness. Here, not so much. I think what my coworker was saying is that these types of moves should be treated legally in much the same way as military moves.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I think what my coworker was saying is that these types of moves should be treated legally in much the same way as military moves.
If they are legally mandated then of course there's no question that a LL has to allow them. If a LL isn't aware of such laws then obviously one would bring it to his/her attention. If someone feels that the present law is too restrictive then they should lobby to have it changed. You have no argument from me!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:48 PM

6,107 posts, read 7,545,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ I don't doubt you at all but it's highly unusual.
In my case it was at a garden apartment complex that I think catered to corporate types. It may be that such a clause made sense for them considering the nature of their clientele. There was also an out in the lease if you bought a house. In both cases, you had to have been there at least six months and you had to give 60 days notice. I did that, and they gave me my full deposit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting