Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 PM

4 posts, read 69,213 times

Advertisements

So basically I recently renewed my lease on 7/02/13 for my current lease which ends on 7/30/13, of which the renewed lease would begin 8/01/13. Long story short, I was laid off at work and there's no possible way for me to pay for rent anymore. I can't afford to stay another year and have to move back home across the state, jobs are too scarce in this city. With that being said, since I already signed the renewal lease, could I go to the landlord and ask him for a cancellation of it? In other words, since my current lease ends on 7/31, would asking him on 7/07, before the current lease even ends, give me an upper hand in ending the renewal process? Or is it a situation if I signed the dotted lined, I'm screwed and obligated? Am I technically capable of just walking away, or could he sue for the renewed leases portion of rent? I don't have the funds to pay for an entire years worth of rent, it's over $6k and I have nothing. He works for a realty company, I've been loyal for 3 years, but there's just no way I can stay here without a job. It isn't possible, and I'm not sure if he's going to be a jerk about this or what. Any help or legal advice would be great. Thanks!

By the way, I live in PA (Pennsylvania), hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 11:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
First, call the LL and tell him that you have to vacate 7/31 afterall, for the reasons you stated. And ask if he'll void the lease. Hopefully, he'll say sure.

Either way, follow up with an email or letter, stating in writing your notice to leave 7/31. And if you came to an agreement to cancel the renewal, mention that in the letter, as well. In fact, if he agrees to void the renewal, get that in writing from him. Even if you just get him to sign a copy of the email.

If LL insists on you honoring the lease, what you do will depend on what state you are in. So start with the above. If you encounter problems, come back and tell us what state you are in.

Most states will allow you to break a lease, though you may be responsible for some costs. But, don't worry about that yet. Start with the phone call to the LL. Tomorrow.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksmill123 View Post
So basically I recently renewed my lease on 7/02/13 for my current lease which ends on 7/30/13, of which the renewed lease would begin 8/01/13. Long story short, I was laid off at work and there's no possible way for me to pay for rent anymore. I can't afford to stay another year and have to move back home across the state, jobs are too scarce in this city. With that being said, since I already signed the renewal lease, could I go to the landlord and ask him for a cancellation of it? In other words, since my current lease ends on 7/31, would asking him on 7/07, before the current lease even ends, give me an upper hand in ending the renewal process? Or is it a situation if I signed the dotted lined, I'm screwed and obligated? Am I technically capable of just walking away, or could he sue for the renewed leases portion of rent? I don't have the funds to pay for an entire years worth of rent, it's over $6k and I have nothing. He works for a realty company, I've been loyal for 3 years, but there's just no way I can stay here without a job. It isn't possible, and I'm not sure if he's going to be a jerk about this or what. Any help or legal advice would be great. Thanks!

It's only been a couple days and it's the summer so easier to rent. Just call and tell him what happened and asked to be released.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:14 AM

Will do, and I'll come back with an update. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
and get it ALL in writing. If you email him, get him to respond via email. You need to document this.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:44 PM

He doesn't respond to emails, I've sent him many in the past and never got one in return. Also, I've called and left messages and he never returns them. Seems I have to catch the guy in person, because even when I was trying to renew the lease, that was the only way I could get to him.

I was actually thinking about recording the conversation we will have via my iPhone. I'd type something up as well, but haven't a clue on what to say. I suppose I'll mention I wish to void the lease renewal due to complications with my financial income being nonexistent, and I'll be leaving the premises on 7/31/13. If he agrees with the cancellation, I'll have him sign, but the iPhone will be a sort of back up since he may refuse to. I'll update you guys within a few days with details, thanks.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
He doesn't respond to emails, I've sent him many in the past and never got one in return. Also, I've called and left messages and he never returns them. Seems I have to catch the guy in person, because even when I was trying to renew the lease, that was the only way I could get to him.
This is why you should conduct all such business in writing via return receipt certified mail. If he doesn't pick it up or refuses delivery and it's returned to you, you have legal evidence that you made every attempt to make contact.

As far as recording any telephone conversation, check your state laws. In some states it's a felony to record a 'phone conversation without full disclosure.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I tried to break a lease a couple days after I signed it, 2 weeks before move in date, and they would not do it, they were real asses about it. I was able to unload it on craigslist pretty fast by agreeing to pay for the security deposit though.

On another note, one of the dryers in the building (yes I ended up signing another lease a year later with the same company) started malfunctioning some time ago and can be operated for free. Rather than call and tell them about it I've used the dryer for free for a couple years now, probably a good 50+ bucks worth of free drying. Karma can come back to bite them at least a little bit.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Well the landlord is fond of me, I've had problems with rent before in the past but that was moreorless due to my ex-roommates refusing to pay on time (college drop out druggies). Last I saw him everything was really cool, he seemed more than happy to have me renew the lease and it wasn't because of dollar signs but because I live next door to his mother and father who are quite elderly. He said he'd prefer me there than someone completely new, since he knows I'll pay rent on time and leave the place ok. That, of course, may end up working against me. We'll see.

Anyways, I emailed him and left him a phone call, I have records of both. If he doesn't return either or soon, I'll have to meet him in person. I've been job hunting on the side with no luck, of course. I'll have to look into state law with phone recordings, because I know the company has done shady things in the past. I'll update in a day or two.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:

In Florida the law will prevail and you signed a contract...but why would any LL/management company get themselves in a situation where a tenant is in a situation like yours and not trying to work with you.

We as a brokerage and property management company would make an agreement that you can get out of the contract once we have a new tenant secured and with the demand over here that shouldn't be too hard unless you are a horrible house keeper. That way both sides win.

Sorry to hear about your situation and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting