Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 AM

43 posts, read 58,530 times

Advertisements

I wish there was a forum just for Chicago Landlords.I say this because before placing our ad, I read other ads in the Chicago area, both good neighborhoods and so-so, and a vast number were offering :No Security Deposit, only pay $400 move -in fee, " etc. At first our ad did require a sec deposit, but we wanted to be competitive. I would love to ask these Landlords/Management Companies how they plan on handling the tenant with no security deposit.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitytimes View Post
...how they plan on handling the tenant with no security deposit.
They rent charged includes an amount they set aside (in the books) for that purpose.

After 6 months or so (certainly after a year) they will be at par.
After a longer time they'll be ahead and keep getting even more ahead.

It's the same basic scam as with the rent to own furniture the tenant has.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Ok, I have decided not to change her lease based on a long conversation this past weekend with my husband, and after considering all of the great ideas here.I will take it one day at a time, and arm myself with the helpful advice given here should it come to that point.Yes, there's a risk in that, but we face an even bigger risk otherwise, in my opinion. Many of you probably disagree, I'm sure. Thanks to all of you for your energy and time, you are great people. For those who are curious, here's what I will write: (i will let everyone know what happens):

Dear ,

At this point we are not able to change the terms of the lease that you just signed on June 6. We don't allow tenants to break a signed lease.If you had asked for only a one-year lease before you signed a month ago, we probably would have agreed to it and planned accordingly.
We will continue to provide you with quality service in terms of your comfort in your home and give you a locked in rental rate at a time of rising rents. We are always trying to keep ourselves educated on the Landlord and Tenant relationship, and we would like to help educate anyone, especially our tenants, as we learn valuable information that benefit all. In this effort we would recommend you read CHAPTER 5-12 of the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (RLTO), which explains landlord and tenant rights and obligations.
Thank you for taking the initiative to make your request. It is much easier for all involved to have such communication. Please feel free to let us know if something does change when your lease is close to expiring, and we will work with you, but until then we hope you can find satisfaction for the duration of your lease.
Sincerely,

Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
In my opinion a very patronizing letter.

You don't have to remind them that leases can't be broken, nor do you need to suggest they read landlord tenant laws. They already have a "locked in rental rate" so what's the point of that?

All you need to say is that you've decided not to amend the lease agreement at this time but that as the house purchase plans progress you'll be more than happy to work with them. Short and simple and pleasant.

For my last two cents entry fee into this "debate" a simple lease amendment adjusting the lease term from two years to one year would save you all this runaround and for all the reasons already repeated several times over on this thread. Good luck "landlording".

Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
Honestly, if I received that condescending letter i would take you to court to break the lease now and let the judge decide the fate. No contract is iron clad.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Ok, I have decided not to change her lease based on a long conversation this past weekend with my husband, and after considering all of the great ideas here.I will take it one day at a time, and arm myself with the helpful advice given here should it come to that point.Yes, there's a risk in that, but we face an even bigger risk otherwise, in my opinion. Many of you probably disagree, I'm sure. Thanks to all of you for your energy and time, you are great people. For those who are curious, here's what I will write: (i will let everyone know what happens):

Dear ,

At this point we are not able to change the terms of the lease that you just signed on June 6. We don't allow tenants to break a signed lease.If you had asked for only a one-year lease before you signed a month ago, we probably would have agreed to it and planned accordingly.
We will continue to provide you with quality service in terms of your comfort in your home and give you a locked in rental rate at a time of rising rents. We are always trying to keep ourselves educated on the Landlord and Tenant relationship, and we would like to help educate anyone, especially our tenants, as we learn valuable information that benefit all. In this effort we would recommend you read CHAPTER 5-12 of the Chicago Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (RLTO), which explains landlord and tenant rights and obligations.
Thank you for taking the initiative to make your request. It is much easier for all involved to have such communication. Please feel free to let us know if something does change when your lease is close to expiring, and we will work with you, but until then we hope you can find satisfaction for the duration of your lease.
Sincerely,
Pure a**holery.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In my opinion a very patronizing letter.

You don't have to remind them that leases can't be broken, nor do you need to suggest they read landlord tenant laws. They already have a "locked in rental rate" so what's the point of that?

All you need to say is that you've decided not to amend the lease agreement at this time but that as the house purchase plans progress you'll be more than happy to work with them. Short and simple and pleasant.

For my last two cents entry fee into this "debate" a simple lease amendment adjusting the lease term from two years to one year would save you all this runaround and for all the reasons already repeated several times over on this thread. Good luck "landlording".
^^^ This.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Pure a**holery.
^^^ And this.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM

I feel the need to explain to this tenant or at least refer her to tenant/landlord ordinances for the simple fact that prior to renting, she has never had a real lease.She lived with a family friend and then with an elderly woman in a place paying half the rent she pays now.There was no lease in effect there, she rented there 2 years. Yes, I spoke to that elderly "landlord". Thus, I don't think she is aware of her obligations when signing a "real" lease. Those who disagree with my actions and call me an a**hole, fine.Its my choice, and I will deal with it. There will be consequences I realize for me, but for her as well should she decide to get ugly about it, let it be her lesson also.Thanks to all who gave wise advice and were mature enough to leave out the name calling. Is that called for?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Dear ,

Sincerely,
Condescending. Patronizing. Passive aggressive. You obviously want to be the landlords from hell, so why not just be honest about it and tell your tenant plainly that you plan to make her life as miserable as you can for her stay in your little fiefdom?

Why did you even come here for opinions? You obviously had your mind made up from the get go that you had no intention to be decent and work this out amicably. You better pray your tenant never discovers City Data and reads this thread.

Enjoy the battle you're setting up. I hope you lose thousands, you deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting