Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I understand your being mad. I really do.

And I think you should be amazed, as I am, at the deal you negotiated with the LL and his attorney! Well done!

Not only did you negotiate to stay longer, but all you had to give up in return is $135, an agreement to pay in cash until you're gone, sign an agreement that you settle for the above, and return the agreement within their time frame.

Of course, they had to save face by asking for cash and the deadline. But you really won here. Enjoy it

Exactly!! He got more than he bargined for..time to get off the dead horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM

193 posts, read 356,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This is the sort of thing low-income people regularly have to deal with; the management and maintenance suck, but they can't afford to move. If the management and maintenance are half as bad as described, this is already a low-rent property, and those residents who have not yet left are almost invariably still there due to financial constraints.
Actually, the property is in a decent area, and the building itself has a good atmosphere.

I was mostly satisfied for the first 17 years here, but then the owners decided to go in a different direction regarding the new tenants, so it is more stressful.

Under good management and ownership, this unit could easily command $900/month, so I decided to stick it out until turning 55 due to the cheap rent and good location.

I immediately began searching for a senior unit after turning 55, decided where I wanted to go, and put myself on the waiting list. I think it has finally paid off.

I was upset at the possibility of having to change my future living arrangements unexpectedly and without explanation, hence all the complaints about my complaints.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, he hasn't left because he's waiting for someone in senior housing to die. He has a place to go (his parents, an extended stay hotel) but doesn't want to. He feels violated.
I am not " waiting for someone in senior to die".

I was trying to avoid the added expense and/or the inconvenience of moving twice.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Considering your complaints about the condition and management I'm surprized you are doing anything beyond looking for your next place.
Sounds like they gave you 60 days notice...Maybe they are going to do some refurbishing, or selling.
Have the other tenants received notice also?
So far, I am the only tenant that needs to vacate.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
making a lot of drama over simple business. You do not own the property, maybe they want a spot for a friend or family member. It's their choice, no need to take it personally. They easily granted your extension so how bad can they possibly be?

If I buy a house that is currently under lease that I want to occupy, at some point the tenants will have to leave. It's not personal against them. I want my living space that I own and it's really that simple. Do I give them a 3 month extension if they need it? Sure. But at some point, they must go.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,768 times
If anyone is interested - OP continued in a new thread titled, "Am I legally entilted to an old security deposit?" (original spelling).

Old 08-23-2013, 03:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
If anyone is interested - OP continued in a new thread titled, "Am I legally entilted to an old security deposit?" (original spelling).

yeah, I noticed that...not really that interested in another whine-fest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting