Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

My daughter decided to allow pets when she rented out her SFH in order to get a higher rent, get it rented quickly, and get a tenant who would want to stay longer term. The tenant has 2 tiny dogs, and takes great care of the place.

Just check your insurance regarding breeds, and you can limit the size and number of pets. My daugher's size limit is 25 pounds, I think. The tenant has 2 five-pound dogs, LOL!

You can get a higher rent and get it rented more quickly. Also, getting a higher deposit is normal. If you really check out their references, it should work out fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,407 times
It's up to you whether or not you want to rent to people with pets, but as a renter with a dog I'll add that I too offer a kind of pet resume up to a prospective landlord. Just out of curiosity, are you near a nice park or lake or something that would make your place particularly attractive to a dog owner? When I go to a showing, I have records (including vaccination, training, and pictures) and have in the past offered my previous landlord's contact info to confirm my level of responsibility. It can be darn tough out there for renters with pets, and every little bit helps.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
One of the reasons that we put our dog through the Canine Good Citizenship Test was because we wanted the certification for landlords, just in case. It's worked very well for us, along with cute photographs of the 'nice little, non-shedding, crate trained doggy.'

I'll add one more note. We considered purchasing investment property, and when we spoke with property managers and experienced landlords for single family homes, they all told us the same thing. Allow pets and get a bigger security deposit. That way you'll have the money if anything is damaged, because the tenants may bring in a pet anyway, even if the lease says "No Pets."

Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Talking Call references

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotshopper View Post
I'm leasing a duplex. So far, 32 showings and 2 applications. Now back to square 1. We don't want renter with pet. Per my agent, I would have more luck with accepting pet. I always resist that option thinking pet would ruin my property which is newly total remodeled. Pros and cons of pet? Any comment would help. Thnx
The best thing you can do is background checks, credit checks, and check at least five references of places they've rented in the past. Never go with a renter who says they've never rented. And requitred a $500 non-refundable pet deposit. That'll weed out most of them.

We've seen it both ways, some renters are fine with a pet, especially a cat because of the litter box, or a small dog.

Or that's what you think. But cats mangle up carpet and curtains, and some don't go in the litterbox, or the tenant won't clean it so the house esmells, or the cat sprays and there's no getting that out of the wallpaper. Or dogs that spray, or don't go outside, chew the doorjambs, scratch up the doors, etc.

With any pet there's also FLEAS. And once the renter leaves, the fleas have nothing to eat, so they attack anyone that comes in the house. You have to bomb the place every two weeks for like three months to get rid of them.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
With any pet there's also FLEAS.
That's just not TRUE. I have five cats who are treated monthly with a product designed to keep them free of fleas, ticks, roundworms, heartworms and ear mites. It's not inexpensive but it keeps them all flea-free.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:36 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you don't want pets, don't allow pets. Try dropping the rent by $25 a month. $25 makes a big difference in rental amount.

Are you allowed to charge a non-refundable pet fee? Or even extra deposit? In some areas it is against the law to charge more deposit or anything non-refundable.

It is not unusual to have dozens of viewings without applications. People who have problems getting a place will all come to look and will be feeling out the management to see if they can get in. When it is clear that they can't they move on.

Not rented since May probably indicates the rent is too high. People are finding something better for the same money.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Talking I meant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's just not TRUE. I have five cats who are treated monthly with a product designed to keep them free of fleas, ticks, roundworms, heartworms and ear mites. It's not inexpensive but it keeps them all flea-free.
After said pet leaves...

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
After said pet leaves...
You've lost me there. If there are no fleas when the animals are there why should there be fleas when the animal leaves?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM

Wink Oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You've lost me there. If there are no fleas when the animals are there why should there be fleas when the animal leaves?
I see your point. I'm not the sharpest dart in the board.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I see your point. I'm not the sharpest dart in the board.
Phew. I was beginning to wonder if I was having a senior moment! I'm so glad it's you and not I!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting