Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
However, I have been in sales for almost 10 years.
I know what it means when people try to plant seeds in the conversation...
Then you should recognize the seeds you planted as well.

Rather more than seeds really asserting there is a "need" to have the tree removed.
There is certainly a desire (on your part)... but is there any actual need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM

258 posts, read 604,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then you should recognize the seeds you planted as well.

Rather more than seeds really asserting there is a "need" to have the tree removed.
There is certainly a desire (on your part)... but is there any actual need?
The tree is blocking 25% of the back yard so I will be unable to perform any of the necessary yard work. There are several large limbs (15-20 feet) still hanging off of the fallen tree that are most likely going to break at some point. If someone is standing under them, it will cause great bodily harm. The fenced in back yard that was advertised when the house was for rent is no longer fenced in do to a destroyed back fence. Lastly, there is a 3-4 feet wide hollow area at the base of the tree that is going to invite rodents and infestation.

I would call it a need.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
The tree is blocking 25%... I would call it a need.
We established that already.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
We established that already.
I'm confused.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I'm confused.
You've been putting the cart before the horse in this whole thread.

1) Advise the LL of the situation? I think you have.
2) Ask what he'll do and when? Not really. You've stated your expectation.
3) See if the LL's response is satisfactory (or not) before jumping to conclusions. TBD

Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
You've been putting the cart before the horse in this whole thread.

1) Advise the LL of the situation? I think you have.
2) Ask what he'll do and when? Not really. You've stated your expectation.
3) See if the LL's response is satisfactory (or not) before jumping to conclusions. TBD
#2 is where I will disagree with you. There were 3 emails asking what he was willing to do before the email stating I'd like it removed. He did not answer of even acknowledge that question in 3 attempts to ask him.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM

My neighbor had a tree service in their back yard today. They graciously came over to my back yard and looked at the tree. They told me the root structure was rotten, which is why the tree fell.

LL is still not returning emails. Should I email him again and let them know about what the tree service said?

I have now sent 4 emails asking if he would have the tree removed, without a straight answer. My thinking is I should get something in writing from a tree service and write a certified letter requesting that the tree be removed and the fence be repaired.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
My neighbor had a tree service in their back yard today. They graciously came over to my back yard and looked at the tree. They told me the root structure was rotten, which is why the tree fell.

LL is still not returning emails. Should I email him again and let them know about what the tree service said?

I have now sent 4 emails asking if he would have the tree removed, without a straight answer. My thinking is I should get something in writing from a tree service and write a certified letter requesting that the tree be removed and the fence be repaired.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I thought you said the landlord is out of town. That's probably why he wanted you to email photos. Surely he will be coming by to evaluate once he's back in town. Do you know if he is back yet?

I think you need to stop bugging him for a few more days. Let him come back into town and call around and get some quotes.

You should mention to him that it is pertinent to get the fence fixed so your dog doesn't get loose. Mentioned the fenced yard was one of the reasons you rented that property. But give it a few days to see what he does.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I thought you said the landlord is out of town. That's probably why he wanted you to email photos. Surely he will be coming by to evaluate once he's back in town. Do you know if he is back yet?

I think you need to stop bugging him for a few more days. Let him come back into town and call around and get some quotes.

You should mention to him that it is pertinent to get the fence fixed so your dog doesn't get loose. Mentioned the fenced yard was one of the reasons you rented that property. But give it a few days to see what he does.
The landlord was back in town Monday. I'm fine that he is probably busy, but haven't even received an email confirming that he will work on it.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
The landlord was back in town Monday. I'm fine that he is probably busy, but haven't even received an email confirming that he will work on it.
He has been in town less than 2 days. He doesn't have to email you or notify you. Since it's outside, he can just meet contractors or show up without letting you know.

Keep in mind, it takes time for the contractors to take a look and give a quote. He might show up tomorrow with a chainsaw.

He might be contacting his homeowners insurance. They might pay for the fence as well as the tree removal, less the deductible. Then there's the waiting from the insurance company to look/pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting