Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to TN for his job. We had to rent sight unseen (which is hard)! We finally chose a townhome because we would not have to listen to upstairs neighbors, win win!

Long story short this property management company does nothing here, nothing! Don't get me wrong the people themselves are very nice but when I do pay for a service, I do expect to get service back.

We have several issues with the property that we requested to be fixed. There are actually more things wrong here but we can live with those, we just wanted the immediate taken care of.

1) Both the front door and back door leak badly when it rains. We asked for this to be repaired, have yet to see it done.
2) Bathroom door will not close, it rubs on the new vinyl and sticks, causing us to always have the door open. We asked for this to be fixed.
3) Spigots that lead to the washer leak, badly. We asked for this to be fixed.
4) Kitchen light is not working, it is not the bulbs but hubby thinks it is the element in the light itself. We asked for this to be fixed.
5) Upstairs smoke alarm need new battery, not a big deal, we replaced the battery with a brand new battery from the store. Alarm did nothing but beep, like they do when the battery is bad. Now this battery is only for back up, the smoke alarm itself is a plug in one (I'm not sure what this is called). We asked for this to be fixed, actually my hubby took it up to the office and hand delivered the smoke alarm to the manager, asking for it to be fixed or looked at.

Besides the smoke alarm, all the other requests have been submitted and pending for 11 days. I am having to go to the laundry mat for my washing (man that is expensive)! My laundry is filled with extra towels that I am using to stop the flow of water coming in the doors (yes it pours in, especially in the back).

Now we don't want to be rude, but I am about at wits end here. Our neighbors say welcome to (fill in the blank on the name of the complex), nothing ever gets done here. Does anyone have any ideas? Short of setting hubby lose on them? I really want to have a good relationship with these people but I am paying for a service here and should be taken care of.

Help.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
set hubby loose on them....

Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Have you addressed all this in writing to the PMC? A LL is required by law to make repairs in a timely manner but you need to put all these requests in writing. if you go to the first "sticky" on this forum you'll probably find a link to TN landlord tenant laws which will confirm the above and give you the information you need to move forwards. You do have legal protection. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Yes everything has been submitted in writing, both hand delivered on a piece of notepaper and also though the online service offered, all but the smoke detector and that was dropped off at the office and hand delivered to the manager.

I did read the tenant laws for TN, what I could make out of them, we do have rights and I know that. However, there is nothing to define "reasonable" time limit. I was thinking two weeks, this place is not that big and there are two repair people.

All of the repairs that we have requested done actually protect their property. Doors leaking inside on the floors equal water damage and wood rot (which on the outside of the back door there is considerable wood rot, the real problem back there is the drainage pipe stops short and runs onto our patio and fills up with inches of water).

Thanks for responding. We have never had this type of problem with any property management and wanted some ideas on how to proceed forward. Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default You are kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Yes everything has been submitted in writing, both hand delivered on a piece of notepaper
1. Use the postal system. Return Receipt Requested.
2. Send a copy via email.
3. Don't write it, type it. Be formal. Complete, coherent sentences without grammar errors.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Good idea, guess I best get to work. I was hoping to not have to "watch my back" but you are correct, that is the way to go.

Thank you!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I did read the tenant laws for TN, what I could make out of them, we do have rights and I know that. However, there is nothing to define "reasonable" time limit. I was thinking two weeks, this place is not that big and there are two repair people.
It's not designated in any state laws and is a discretionary ruling but you're in the ballpark in the two week zone. It depends on how easily parts can be obtained but, for instance, in cases such as loss of heat in sub zero temperatures there's very little leeway afforded and a LL is expected to either provide temporary heating, or give rent abatement if the tenant has to temporarily move. In my opinion there's no excuse for any delay in fixing leaking doors. Likewise the bathroom door which just needs removing and planing down.

As far as the spigots to the washing machine are concerned, that's really a simple fix you can do yourself for just a few pennies. Shut the main water supply off (you can also shut off just the intermediary shut-off valves but I don't always trust them if they're older and hard to turn), remove the fixtures with a simple wrench and replace the rubber gaskets. You can buy a small assortment of them in a package in any hardware store.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Well.......the spigot actually has a slice about a quarter of an inch long, which is where the large leak comes from. Hubby said he could rig it but I don't think he should being as we don't own the property. He said he has never seen a spigot like it, making me think someone living here prior to us may have done something.

What is a darn shame is that the place was built well.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Well.......the spigot actually has a slice about a quarter of an inch long, which is where the large leak comes from.
In that case then the PMC has no excuse for not making an immediate fix. Those parts are easily obtainable.

Hope you're getting down to putting together a comprehensive list repeating what needs to be done and sending it to the PMC via return receipt registered mail. Letting them know you're serious is the first step and hopefully they'll respond and get all this taken care of so you can start to enjoy your new home!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Well.......the spigot actually has a slice about a quarter of an inch long, which is where the large leak comes from. Hubby said he could rig it but I don't think he should being as we don't own the property. He said he has never seen a spigot like it, making me think someone living here prior to us may have done something.

What is a darn shame is that the place was built well.
I would never work on plumbing as a tenant. You can be blamed for any future plumbing/water leaks and that's pricey.

As far as the drain pipe in the backyard, just for your comfort, you could get a pvc pipe (very cheap) and extend it so the water doesn't dump at the back door. I hate that I am suggesting such fixes but reality is that you are still living there. You can also, very cheaply, get weather stripping for the doors and a weather seal strip at the bottom. Very annoying that your LL doesn't do these things but for the $10 you will spend on this stuff, life is easier!

I do suggest you detail all the costs and time involved in using a commercial laundry store and be sure to strongly advise your expectations of rent concession of $100 to recognize the failure of the LL to provide. This should at least get attention!

I can be a very high profile person when I get upset. I have been known to contact the local TV and newspaper consumer advocates. I once threatened (and I don't make hollow threats) a Title company to picket across the street due to an outrageous calculation that favored the seller (I used the builder's title company) and was able to get the closing documents reworked and a refund check of $1300. When one is truly right and its gone beyond reasonable, its time to get noisy. Its also a matter of self-respect. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting