Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad168 View Post
And that's where we are now.
Where you are now:
You still don't know who the owner is.
You still don't have a signed copy of a lease.
You still don't have keys.
You continue to get stalled in resolving your issues and accepting of that.

Maybe it will all eventually work out for you.
I hope so.

Last wrinkle's:
When was the last time you were INSIDE the apartment to check condition?
Was **anything** questionable in any way that might be either a needed repair
or something that the LL could later say is damage that you caused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I am confused but on the lease you signed what name was stated as the landlord? Where are you supposed to mail future rent to? Who are you supposed to contact in the future if a problem arises? It is odd to me that they can't contact the owner even if he is on vacation since people have cell phones.
I have signed a lease before from out of state and faxed it to the realtor when I dealt with a real estate company. I also sent the deposits but it was made out to the real estate company which I knew for a fact was a company.
Since today is the first and even if you move in I would get a copy of the lease and also a receipt for the 7000 you gave.
I would also keep copies of all the emails you sent regarding this issue in case of future problems. I hope you are able to move in and things go smoother

Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 AM

259 posts, read 522,490 times
I really hope this goes well and you're all set today, OP.

It's hard for me to believe that out of 3 people signing the lease and giving $7k, not one thought to get a copy, keys, etc. I hope you all learned a lesson for future instances involving money, renting, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
Hmmm... you still may be being scammed. Until you know all the deets (who your landlord will be is a big one) and are moved in, they can 'say' anything they want. For all you know they have rented this out to 40 other people and took their deposits too. Dude, get EVERYTHING in writing with a signature when dealing with real estate.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM

10 posts, read 35,815 times
Well, we are in. We have our keys. All of our stuff is here. For the most part, everything worked out. Thank you all so much for your help. Your ideas really helped me figure out what to do. It got a little scary back there, but we're near the end. When the 4th room mate comes into town on Monday he has to sign the lease and I will demand a copy of it then (at that point it will be complete) and figure out all the details.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone. I've just now set up my computer (the joys of owning a desktop). If anything else goes crazy I'll get back in touch, but I think it's safe to assume that no news is good news from here on out.

Thank you all, again. You've been so helpful and I truly believe this move would have been completely different without your input.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Yay! Love a happy ending :-)

Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Make sure to take photos of any damaged/unclean/worn out items when you move it and make sure you document such damage with the landlord. Such as stains in carpet or chips/dents on appliances or any damage to countertops/floors/walls. You want to make sure they know it was like that when you moved in. Else they could say it was perfect when you moved in but you caused the damage.

Normally the landlord would provide a 'move in check-list' that identifies any damage as well as notes the condition of items..such as windows/screens/appliances/tubs/showers/carpet, etc.

Likely your dumb broker won't provide this checklist. It's good CYA for everyone involved. Normally tenant and broker sign this at time of move-in or when lease is signed.

Google for a form on the web and you can fill it out and even include any photos of 'damage' and send it 'proof of delivery' to the property manager. This way you aren't stuck with a $3000 bill at move out for something you didn't do.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:34 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yay! Love a happy ending :-)
I love just having an ending. So often the OP never comes back to tell what happened.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM

10 posts, read 35,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Google for a form on the web and you can fill it out and even include any photos of 'damage' and send it 'proof of delivery' to the property manager. This way you aren't stuck with a $3000 bill at move out for something you didn't do.
Good call! The place is virtually perfect. Newly renovated and such. But if there is anything askew, I'll document it!

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Happy middle is what you have. The ending is when you move out and have your security deposit returned.

Here's a problem I see:

When you sign a contract, the most important signature is the one you cannot provide - i.e. the landlord/management company's signature. ORIGINAL. A copy of that signature will do you zero good in a court situation should it ever come to it. They get your original signatures; you get theirs.

That is one reason many lawyers ask for original signatures in duplicate - meaning you sign 2 copies. The signatures on the document make it original or a copy of the document if the signatures are copies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting