Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 AM

27 posts, read 36,833 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm moving to US (NYC) in September and I'm worried about scams (on Craigslist etc) since I'm currently in Europe and I'll have to find something online for my wife and myself, probably for longer period since I'm opening a business there.

And what about credit check? I will be having a decent amount of money (some in cash some on a bank acc) but I don't have a credit history in US. Could I use data from my bank in Europe...?

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLastYear View Post
I'm currently in Europe and I'll have to find something online for my wife and myself
probably for longer period since I'm opening a business there.
Frankly... I'd be far more worried about YOU being the source of any scamming going on.

Quote:
And what about credit check?
I will be having a decent amount of money (some in cash some on a bank acc)
but I don't have a credit history in US. Could I use data from my bank in Europe...?

Any advice?
Start with a transfer of substantial funds to a US bank.
Then ask the attorney (and bank manager) you'll have for opening that business
to assist with introductions and locating a suitable residence.

If you're legitimate you won't have any trouble....
but then you wouldn't be likely to do any of it through craigslist either.

Either way... expect to spend your first month or so in a hotel of some sort.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Frankly... I'd be far more worried about YOU being the source of any scamming going on.
Don't worry, I'm just looking for something better in life, I don't do scams, my wife and I are just a young and educated couple (30 years old) that wants to do something good for our careers so we could start a family and live a normal life...

Quote:
If you're legitimate you won't have any trouble....
but then you wouldn't be likely to do any of it through craigslist either.
I've mentioned craigslist since everybody knows about it, I'm living in Europe so I don't know what is the best way to find something decent. There are a lot of listings on the internet, but are they legit?

I was thinking about renting something temporary for the first month but since I have some time, I'm browsing and if I find something-great, if not, I'll go to a hotel or something for start.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Do NOT look for anything online until you get here. Stay in a short-term hotel/motel until you find your way around, can check out different areas and establish the neighborhood which would best suit you. I'm assuming you have valid immigration status to work in the US? It almost seems from previous posts that you don't.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM

I'm working on it STT, thank you for your concern

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Tenants from Europe present more of a challenge. There is no credit report available and it is difficult to verify landlord references.

First thing I check is whether or not the applicant has the documentation to prove he is legally admitted to the USA. The applicant has to show that he has a stream of income that will pay the rent. I do not rent to undocumented aliens and many landlords will not rent to undocumented aliens.

If OP is coming here for a job, I can verify that he has a job waiting for him.

OP, if you are coming here for a job, the companies that hire foreign nationals and go to all the trouble and expense of finding them and arranging for a work visa will almost always have someone to assist you in finding a rental and that will help you settle in.

If you are coming on an investor's visa, you should be easily able to prove that you have extremely substantial funds.

If you are moving to the USA with a student visa, the college will have a student housing office that can offer some assistance with finding a place to live.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I am a small time private landlord with my personal funds invested in the few rental properties I own and manage.

I just don't lease to applicants who are not US citizens and that is my right. I don't have the resources to verify out of country funding and have to protect myself. This is not bias against anyone, but common business sense that a little local landlord wants simple transactions.

I totally understand there are many international residents in my area, but it just makes sense for them and for me that they lease properties from large real estate management groups who routinely handle applicants who are students, interns and international business expats.

I suggest that you confine your search activities to large apartment complexes or property management companies. By doing so, you are unlikely to fall into the hands of scammers or unsophisticated landlords who will waste your time. You should not use Craigslist! Use apartment locators to help you. They are abundant in the Dallas area! There is no fee and they will be aware of properties that fit your needs.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 AM

Thank you oregonwoodsmoke!

You are right, I suppose I could prove it with my business plan and amount of money I'm bringing to US...

But the main concern for me is how to find a place to live? Some listings are too good to be true, eg a great place for $1500 or even less, and also, I read about scams and high rent costs...

Edit:
Also, thank you Squirl! As an owner of propertie you have the right to set your terms. I am also owner and lease some apts in my country so I agree with you 100%.

Last edited by SoLastYear; 07-30-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I'm working on it STT, thank you for your concern
You're most welcome.

Quote:

You are right, I suppose I could prove it with my business plan and amount of money I'm bringing to US...

But the main concern for me is how to find a place to live? Some listings are too good to be true, eg a great place for $1500 or even less, and also, I read about scams and high rent costs...
Your "business plan" means zilch and is no guarantee of anything for anything.

You would be more than foolish to take anything sight unseen, and best advice is to find temporary accommodation until you can look at potential sites in person.

Your previous posts do make interesting reading and I very much hope that you and your wife fully understand the consequences of staying in the US as foreign nationals without legal documentation.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Thank you oregonwoodsmoke!

Edit:
Also, thank you Squirl! As an owner of propertie you have the right to set your terms. I am also owner and lease some apts in my country so I agree with you 100%.
We just moved out of NYC 10 months ago. I can tell you that there are many ways to find apts in NYC, the most common being rental agents/realtors - and they DO charge you. Finding a great place for $1500 is a pipe dream. I have a friend who has found her own rentals by "walking the neighborhood". She looks for either someone literally moving out and rushes to speak to the super/LL/property manager or she looks for "for rent" signs. She knows the neighborhoods she's willing to live in and she's done this for over 40 years.

Be prepared: if you want to make any improvements: painting, cabinet replacement, even a new floor in the kitchen, your landlord is not going to agree to either do it or let you do the work and deduct the costs. The landlord will maintain heating, water, sewer, and outside leaks. If you want a place where the landlord will make other repairs, you will pay dearly for that.

Pick your neighborhood carefully. A block or two can make a huge difference in many ways. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting