Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 AM

40 posts, read 74,606 times

Advertisements

What happens when the landlord misses the 60 day notice not to renew lease? Any penalty? There would be a penalty to tenant if missed this deadline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The lease automatically goes month to month. Where are you reading that there's a penalty - on either side?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjb22 View Post
What happens when the landlord misses the 60 day notice not to renew lease? Any penalty? There would be a penalty to tenant if missed this deadline.
The lease would continue and the landlord would have to wait to get you out(depends on how many days late).

Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 AM

176 posts, read 520,988 times
Not all leases are automatically extended as a month-to-month. I've a rental lease in hand that says, "Fixed rental agreement, which unless otherwise agreed to in writing, will end on XXdateXX". When the lease ends, the tenant must be out, unless other written arrangements have been made.

Under that is the option to add a checkmark to indicate an automatic extension of month-to-month, but that option must be exercised at the time the lease is originally signed (without indicating by checkmark that it is in effect, it does not apply).

So, in other words, the default is that the lease is up at the ending date. The landlord does not need to give any sort of notice of non-renewal.

But it sounds like your lease is different, that the default is that the landord must give 60 days notice of non-renewal, or that there was an option exercised for an automatic extension of the lease? What is the wording?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
But it sounds like your lease is different, that the default is that the landord must give 60 days notice of non-renewal, or that there was an option exercised for an automatic extension of the lease? What is the wording?
That's what I also assumed. In that case if no notice is given by either party (which is the usual wording) of intent to renew or not within the 60 day period, the lease goes month to month as that's the intent of having this clause in the lease. I'm just not sure where the OP is getting the "penalty" information from.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 AM

40 posts, read 74,606 times
The lease stated that either party must give 60 or more days notice to terminate and at end of lease automatically renews month to month. Says tenant would be liable for 100% of 1 months rent if less than 60 days given. I was just wondering if less notice was given on the other side what happens. Does not specify a penalty to LL in lease for less than 60 day notice. I was just curious.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
The lease stated that either party must give 60 or more days notice to terminate and at end of lease automatically renews month to month. Says tenant would be liable for 100% of 1 months rent if less than 60 days given. I was just wondering if less notice was given on the other side what happens. Does not specify a penalty to LL in lease for less than 60 day notice. I was just curious.

there is no penalty to the landlord, that's why it doesn't specify one.

You have to give 60 day notice of renewing your lease or moving out He has to give you 60 day that he isn't renewing your lease.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:38 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
The lease stated that either party must give 60 or more days notice to terminate
and at end of lease automatically renews month to month.
Like yours, 99% of leases (and most LL:Tenant law) are designed around the presumption
that tenants will want to remain in place and that LL's will want them to as well.

When that is not the case the LL asks for adequate notice from the tenant so they can prepare
for an orderly turnover. The law usually require that such notice terms (eg 60 days) go both ways.

Quote:
Says tenant would be liable for 100% of 1 months rent if less than 60 days given.
To protect the LL who is otherwise expecting a check on the 1st and until the end of the agreement.
Often the penalty is greater.

Quote:
I was just wondering if less notice was given on the other side what happens.
Does not specify a penalty to LL in lease for less than 60 day notice (to not renew or extend).
Now you're describing apples and oranges.

The tenant is in place.
The LL has a contract that requires they give 60 days notice if they intend to not renew.

The LL can *ask* the tenant to leave sooner but has no right to force it.
And no court would give the LL a writ of possession without the agreed to notice being honored.

hth

Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
I see your point. I guess because you wouldn't have to move out if the landlord tried to give you less than 60 days, you wouldn't really lose anything. The law would back you up.

But, if you gave the LL only 30 days notice, and then moved out, he'd be out a month's rent, in theory. So, it covers the LL in that case.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Only counts for the tenant...what did you have in mind for the LL to pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting