Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,630 times

Advertisements

We are new to renting and have just moved into a single family home. We signed a one-year lease with a property management company.

The landlord lives in the area and stopped by yesterday to see what the landscapers had done the day before. This was our first time meeting him, and he was surprised to hear that we had four children. Apparently the property management firm told him we had two. We wrote "4" for number of children in our application, and our lease specifically names our children individually. We definitely did not hide this at any point.

My question is, can the landlord force us to leave if he did not want 4 children in the unit? Or is this an issue between him and the property manager?

Thank you so much.
Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
It's between him and the property manager. Your lease is legally binding and names your children as occupants. He absolutely cannot force you out while that lease term is running.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Can't kick you out. Jerk.

The only way you could possibly have any problems is if the occupancy limits have been violated. Basically, the housing limits allow for 2 people per bedroom plus one. So, for 6 people, you would be required to have 3 bedrooms.

And if he tries to kick you out based on the above, I still think you should fight it. Your lease shows everyone that will occupy the unit, and if they broke the law regarding occupancy limits, etc., you can probably get the court to get them to give you money to move, etc.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
2 persons per bedroom plus 2 persons for the living room. And, if it ever got to court, size of the rooms and "size" or age of the persons would be taken into account. In other words if one had 3 small children in a very large bedroom, that would not be considered as violating an occupancy ordinance. Generally if there is any way to rule on the side of the tenant, they do.

Of course he can't void your lease, unless they want a Fair Housing complaint on their hands.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia_peach View Post
We are new to renting and have just moved into a single family home. We signed a one-year lease with a property management company.

The landlord lives in the area and stopped by yesterday to see what the landscapers had done the day before. This was our first time meeting him, and he was surprised to hear that we had four children. Apparently the property management firm told him we had two. We wrote "4" for number of children in our application, and our lease specifically names our children individually. We definitely did not hide this at any point.

My question is, can the landlord force us to leave if he did not want 4 children in the unit? Or is this an issue between him and the property manager?

Thank you so much.
Georgia
First of all fair housing law doesn't allow discrimination towards kids. You disclosed everything and this is indeed between the owner and the property manager but again the property manager can't discriminate either.

The only thing that can happen is that the owner doesn't want to renew the lease but that will cause the owner down time and less money and again paying for commission...money is what usually will motivate an owner to renew a lease. Unless you are not paying in a timely manner month after month.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Can't kick you out. Jerk.

The only way you could possibly have any problems is if the occupancy limits have been violated. Basically, the housing limits allow for 2 people per bedroom plus one. So, for 6 people, you would be required to have 3 bedrooms.

And if he tries to kick you out based on the above, I still think you should fight it. Your lease shows everyone that will occupy the unit, and if they broke the law regarding occupancy limits, etc., you can probably get the court to get them to give you money to move, etc.

I feel as though I am picking on you. I'm not really. I'm picking on the inaccuracies that you are giving out as advice.

Assuming by the OP's screen name that she is renting in the state of Georgia, (since no info is provided in the op and also not provided in the OP's profile), then one needs to look at Georgia's landlord-tenant statutes to know what the housing limits allow. And even then, I would hedge because the OP might be renting in NYC or Timbuktu.

In some states, it is very permissible to have 3 children or 1 adult and 2 children of the same sex sharing a room. And even then, very young children even not the same sex are permitted to share a bedroom.

OP, you asked a specific question: the answer is that the issue is between the landlord and the management company. You signed a lease with the management company in which you provided accurate information. The issue is not between you and the landlord.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I feel as though I am picking on you. I'm not really. I'm picking on the inaccuracies that you are giving out as advice.

Assuming by the OP's screen name that she is renting in the state of Georgia, (since no info is provided in the op and also not provided in the OP's profile), then one needs to look at Georgia's landlord-tenant statutes to know what the housing limits allow. And even then, I would hedge because the OP might be renting in NYC or Timbuktu.

In some states, it is very permissible to have 3 children or 1 adult and 2 children of the same sex sharing a room. And even then, very young children even not the same sex are permitted to share a bedroom.

OP, you asked a specific question: the answer is that the issue is between the landlord and the management company. You signed a lease with the management company in which you provided accurate information. The issue is not between you and the landlord.
Hey, sticks and stones...You can always find something to pick at, if you look for it. I'm confident you will continue to do so, but hey, if it results in better, clearer information for the OP, that's great.

I said "basically" the occupancy standards are 2 + 1, and that's true. Different jurisdictions may have different rules, but that is "basically" the standard. At least, the fair housing courts in CA have found that a landlord is safe using these restrictions. HUD actually says it may even be fair to limit occupancy to 2 persons per bedroom - period. But, in that case, the landlord has to have a strong reason regarding the square footage, etc.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/libr...upancystds.pdf

Occupancy Restriction

Old 08-14-2013, 02:42 PM

11 posts, read 50,794 times
he cant force you to leave, its between him and property manager

Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times
in most states there is no law of a brother and sister of any age sharing a bed room.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
If the residence only allows for so many occupants (and this includes children) to share a certain amount of square feet per bedroom and "living space", and you're over the limit, you might be out of luck.

In the city I'm a LL in, there is a legal occupancy limit (based on square footage of bedrooms and living space) and it doesn't matter the age of the occupant.

Might want to check in to the city/town laws to get some peace of mind.

If occupancy numbers ARE an issue, you might run in to an issue if the LL wants to rectify his PMs mistake. All so the LL doesn't get fined out the wazoo the next time the fire marshall c/city inspector comes through and sees 4 kids and two adults in a home that is only legal for 3 or 4 occupants.

Obviously this is not your fault, but you might bear the brunt b/c the PM messed up.

Or maybe you'll be just fine and the LL was only surprised you had 4 kids b/c you look great for having 4 kids....and no big deal!

Last edited by JerseyG; 08-15-2013 at 09:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting