Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

As others have said you probably need to talk to an attorney ASAP.

You have to think of it from the owner's side though. They have probably heard every excuse in the book. And it probably is a bit hard to believe that your account was frozen right after you wrote the check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
There is some funny business going on with this property management and the landlord. IT is also possible the landlord is default on the home and the property managent group is a REO for a bank. Might have to start doing some digging at your local sheriffs office to see if its coming up for sale as part of a foreclosure.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM

103 posts, read 366,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtilley View Post
PLEASE PLEASE HELP
My husband and I rented a home from a property management company. We gave a payment towards moving in 6 dys prior to actually moving in for $912.50. At move in, we then gave a check for an additional $912.50 & $1850 to close the deal. Unfortunately my check went NSF. I have a letter from my bank acknowledging that there was fraudulent activity on my account which caused it. We conversed by text and phone and told her that I needed time for funds to be returned per bank, account to be unfrozen and all items to clear. She was very upset and proceeded to yell at me and said I was lying. She then came to my home 3 times with NO phone call prior. When she got here she screamed at my husband outside in front of everyone. She proceeded to threaten my husband and his job as a deputy sheriff by reporting him for being dishonest. After the third visit, we then were visited again unannounced by now the owner of the home. Twice in one day begging me for the money. At this time I was fuming. I told her that our contract was with the property mgmt co and I would send payment as soon as I had it. She then stated that she fired the property management company and the agent and is suing them for accepting a personal check and that she will be forced to do the same to us if I didn't pay her right then. I asked for proof of the contract termination and she didn't say anything. Then I asked if she needed me to then fill out a new lease with her. She ignored the question and asked for the money again, otherwise she had to demand we move out in 3 days. I asked her to then leave. Since then no one will call me back. I have the money but have no idea where or who to send it to. We received by mail a notice of Unlawful Detainer and then the summons from the courts shortly after by delivery. In CA there are limits to the amount of days you have to respond to the courts and I'm almost out of time. In fact it may have passed! I just don't know what to do. My husband has already been approached by his commanding officer to take care of this but we don't know how. His job is everything to him and we have 2 children as well. He's very stressed and I'm worried where we might end up....eviction....lawsuits! I pray that it doesn't happen. So if anyone can help even the tiniest of info could be huge. ..so please respond.
God's Blessings

Go down to the property management company in person (ASAP) with your husband or someone who can serve as a witness. Take a money order with you and a copy of the letter from the bank. Tell them you are there to make the payment. Show them the letter from the bank.

If they will not accept it and you have to go to court then so be it. If what you say is true about being a victim of fraud at least you can show that you made an effort to pay the money but it was not accepted. Theres a good chance you will not be evicted even if it goes to court. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting