Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 AM

67 posts, read 98,404 times

Advertisements

Its funny you say that I had a TV court show somehow see this case in the county files and they called me but I said NO! I think I will just fine the law is on my side with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilteacherNV View Post
Its funny you say that I had a TV court show somehow see this case in the county files and they called me but I said NO! I think I will just fine the law is on my side with everything.
Okay, I'm done here.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
If you go to court you will lose. Those charges are reasonable.
I agree, very reasonable charges. The prior verbal discussion is not binding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you're not a troll then I hope your screen name doesn't indicate that you're either a teacher or planning on being one as, if that's the case, you seriously need to take some courses in remedial reading and comprehension. Have a fun day in court.
After reading all of this thread I do believe the OP is pulling our leg, no one is this ignorant. I'm not wasting anymore of my time with this thread.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-15-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Yes I am a 7 grade teachers aide right now working on becoming a teacher, is that ok?
I still dont understand why you dont think Im within my rights. The LL says when he said everything was "fine" that it was not an inspection but it was the a comment on how the place looked to show it to a person looking at the place that day. I feel he was saying everything looked fine and I didnt have to do anything when I moved out. However he said since I was moving out early that it would be easier to do an inspection once my things were out because the place was kinda of small. I feel him saying it was "fine" was enough for me and i didnt need to be around to do another one. At that point when he said things were "fine" he should have written down things to clean or fix. Me just telling him when I gave notice that I would clean and make sure everything is good wont hold up. He had to tell me in writing what to do.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Yes I am a 7 grade teachers aide right now working on becoming a teacher, is that ok?
I still dont understand why you dont think Im within my rights. The LL says when he said everything was "fine" that it was not an inspection but it was the a comment on how the place looked to show it to a person looking at the place that day. I feel he was saying everything looked fine and I didnt have to do anything when I moved out. However he said since I was moving out early that it would be easier to do an inspection once my things were out because the place was kinda of small. I feel him saying it was "fine" was enough for me and i didnt need to be around to do another one. At that point when he said things were "fine" he should have written down things to clean or fix. Me just telling him when I gave notice that I would clean and make sure everything is good wont hold up. He had to tell me in writing what to do.
He did tell you in writing what to do. The lease is in writing, isn't it? You signed the lease, which is a binding contract. In that contract, it told you to have the carpets cleaned and to have the apartment professionally cleaned. It also, presumably, held you liable for any damages (the sink you've admitted damaging). That's in writing. It is YOUR responsibility to READ the contracts you sign.

Now you are trying to use legal loopholes, not only to get out of your contractual obligations, but to get money from him.

Since he was showing the apartment when you asked him how the place looked, it is unreasonable of you to expect him to stop what he was doing, showing the apartment, and to do a walk-through with you, writing it all down, especially when your things were still there. You actually don't get to dictate when your landlord should do the walk-through. Just as he is trying to do it at your convenience, you need to also be available at his convenience.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM

Now you are trying to use legal loopholes, not only to get out of your contractual obligations, but to get money from him

They arent loopholes thats how the CA law is written to protect people like me.
The lease means nothing without a premove out inspection

Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Now you are trying to use legal loopholes, not only to get out of your contractual obligations, but to get money from him

They arent loopholes thats how the CA law is written to protect people like me.
The lease means nothing without a premove out inspection
Whoever advised you that the lease means nothing is mistaken.

And you aren't using the law to protect yourself. You were treated fairly and honestly. You are trying to take advantage of your landlord. On what planet do you live that you get to damage another person's property, and think that you shouldn't be responsible for that damage?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
It is funny how much time has been spent on an online forum about this subject. I would love to hear what close friends and associates get to hear from the OP. I am ready to move onto other subjects now as I don't see ever getting to hear how this ends. I know how it will end but doubt that the OP will fill us in on how she was wrong.

The landlord has documents that are legal. The tenent has at best, he said she said. None of which ends the legal binding nature of the documents. To top it off the cost to prep the apartment for the next tenent was prepaid with the deposit. The op could have paid a professional company to clean the place, and it would have cost more than was taken out of the deposit. The op could have had a carpet cleaning company clean the carpets and it would have probably cost more than what was taken out of the deposit. The op could have had someone come into fix the sink and it would have cost more than what was taken out of her deposit. Personally the OP got a great deal in move out cost and settlement. When I was renting I seldom if ever exspected to get the deposit back. That is just the cost of renting a place. I lived in a couple large corporate complexes and the management company didn't care that you cleaned the place, if it was not to their standards then they brought in a professional cleaning company to do the work. This company would take the stove apart and clean it, take out the shower door and clean it and every nook and cranny of the shower. I always thought it was cheaper to just let them do it, especially since you could do all that work and they could still say, sorry it does not meet our standards.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM

The op could have paid a professional company to clean the place, and it would have cost more than was taken out of the deposit. The op could have had a carpet cleaning company clean the carpets and it would have probably cost more than what was taken out of the deposit. The op could have had someone come into fix the sink and it would have cost more than what was taken out of her deposit

Yes, but I wasnt told I needed to if I was I would have, so like I have SAID thats his fault for not telling me.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
Man, you should have said yes the the TV deal. Part if being on a court show includes the show paying some if not all of the judgements. Now when you lose, and you are going to lose, you'll have to pay your former landlord yourself.

Thanks for the laughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting